• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

new guy form Indiana

hoosier35

hey everyone, new to the cummins forum thing. I've used multiple diesel forums as search tools but never joined one. I have owned my first and only diesel for three years now. it's a 2001 24v with 47re and 4x4. i'm located around the Indianapolis area. it's been a constant struggle of fixing/replacing things as they go out and it seems all plastic or rubber parts are wearing out and i'm fixing one leak after another. the truck just tipped over 250,000 miles a couple days ago. it's had all new braking system put in from the master cylinder to lines and calipers. new tires, batteries, sump pump on fuel tank, tappet gasket, front wheel hub assemblies, drag link/tie rod. the most recent fixes in the last month is rebuilt trans and new TC, new APPS, heavey duty battery cables from genos garage, new radiator/hoses/thermostat and alternator. I had a edge comp box on the truck but took it off cause the transmission shop wouldn't warranty the work they did if i had a tuner on it. the tuner, BHAF, 4'' exhaust, fass 150, lift and 33's were already installed on the truck when i bought it.

so now on to the 2 biggest dilemmas with this truck........

the first problem, back before i had my trans worked on i would drive in the morning and the truck would run/shift fine. then i would get on the interstate cruise for a bit and then get off an exit. when i would pull off the exit and stop, i would press the gas pedal to go and my rpms would go up but my truck would barely move forward no matter how much pedal i would give it. i would have to shift through the gears or turn the truck off and then back on to get it to go again. this happened a couple times a couple weeks apart. then the truck sat for awhile (6months) until i could either pay for the trans work or figure out what was going wrong cause i was able to drive a work vehicle. well we had sold our house and i had to move the truck so i attempt to drive it and it drove fine. never had that problem again and even drove the truck to utah and back from indiana. what i had passed it off to was the fact i was messing around with the levels of my edge comp box and just left it on level 3 and the truck was shifting fine. that all was a year ago. about a month ago i was drive on an on ramp to get on the interstate and all of a sudden it happened again where i could push on the pedal and my rmps would go up in accordance to me pushing down the pedal but my truck wouldn't go. i was able to limp off the interstate and basically was stuck at a gas station cause i couldn't get it to go into any of the gears no matter what i did. had it towed to a trans shop and they confirmed the problem of not going into gear/would'nt pull. so had the trans rebuilt and new TC. after i picked up the truck it was driving and shifting like new. now last night and this morning the problem showed it's ugly face. driving on the interstate for a bit, slow down to almost stop and try to go again and the truck will barely move when i push the pedal and the rpms are up. this time i can shift it to 1 and it will go like normal but won't shift up when i go to 2. when i go to D it won't go as rmps are up. ive calibrated the new APPS (timbo), ive cleaned every ground and made sure good contact along with the battery terminals. i've cleaned and made sure the map and ait have good connection. ive done the tin foil around the ground going behind the alternator and it fixed the "hunting/surging" between gears but not what i am describing. i have no CEL. the only lights i have are the brake and ABS which have been on the whole time i've had it. i've replaced the sensor over the rear pumpkin but still won't go away and i have no front abs sensors.

2nd problem, my truck won't go above 2200 rpms. the fastest i can go is 70mph at 1900 rpms and it feels like the engine is hitting it's limit. i've put it full throttle and the highest i've gotten it to go is 2200 and it feels like i'm almost redlining it. it's been like this the entire time i've had it. it feels comfortable around 65mph and 1700-1800 rpms cruising on the interstate but when i try to go faster it feels like i hit a limit or im going to burn up something if i push it. i've changed my fuel filters on my FASS 150 a couple months ago

any help would be appreciated cause this truck is what i depend on to get to school and work which i cant afford to miss any of it.