• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

advice on rv or 5th wheel

Looked all over the site for the right place for this. Apologies if I missed a better place for it.....anyway long story short, I'm off to Canada for 2 weeks holiday just me and wife (1st holiday since 2009) once back I intend to buy either american rv or 5th wheel thing is I can't decide which would be best.  To break down costs an rv would be £230 road tax and approx  £200 insurance. 5th wheel is no cost per year. RV could pose a problem with manoverability especially the rear overhang as Wales and Scotland is a first and roads aren't american rv friendly. My 3500 is too big for parking spaces in my local town.... been fined twice for not being inside parking bay.....!  so pros and cons for both. Also uk/europe are really getting on diesels but I have both petrol and diesel so not bothered. I'm a mechanic so neither petrol or diesel or trailer is an issue

My advice of owning several rv's since 1980's and full time around US for couple years, and spent sometime in Germany (not Scotland).  Get an RV that fits your needs starting with the floorplan.  Reason is if you are not comfortable inside with the floorplan nothing else going to matter.  Maybe explore 

Www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk.     but doesn't have to much in Scotland as far as that club goes.  But might help with your questions more so than RV's over here that 30-40 feet (not meters) are common place.  If you buy here some surprsurprises, the top of my head is electric.  You would have to get some thing to match your elec.  And also maybe type of gas for appliances.  Not sure if you are propane or butane.  Not a big deal to change over the orfus. I understand but parts might be a hassle for you. Reading  blogs in the past, re-filling gas the connections are not interchangeable.  Little things that would take time and money to work through.  

And check out what works best for some of the places you will be traveling in. As I remember some places had roads that were as tight as places in Japan.  

I would NOT buy in US then have to ship and import to your country.  Lots of money you will never see again. 

There is a RV section here... near bottom of home page. 

My response is not that helpful, but some RV parts are a pain to get even at RV dealer.  Lately for example...my limiting switch is broke on a suburban furnace and RV dealer is on 3rd time trying to get right part.  

• Staff
3 hours ago, wil440 said:

I'm off to Canada for 2 weeks holiday just me and wife (1st holiday since 2009) 

First off have fun in Canada.  Where will you be going? 

3 hours ago, wil440 said:

I intend to buy either american rv or 5th wheel

I know the RV (motor home)  will be subject to the IVA test and a 10% import tax along with the required modifications.  If you have trouble parking the 3500 the motorhome will be a nightmare.   Every where you want to go you have to find a place to park it unless you can have another means to get around while camped.  

You should look into a short 'ultralight' 5th wheel about 7.5 meters long and 2.43meters wide with some of the desired features.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff

I have a truck camper which is easier to park in places. Problems are the high steps up to the door and the small inside space. I do like the feel of my little 'survival pod' when traveling. I would love to have a medium sized 5th wheel like IBMobiles for camping and staying places.

44 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

First off have fun in Canada.  Where will you be going? 

I know the RV (motor home)  will be subject to the IVA test and a 10% import tax along with the required modifications.  If you have trouble parking the 3500 the motorhome will be a nightmare.   Every where you want to go you have to find a place to park it unless you can have another means to get around while camped.  

You should look into a short 'ultralight' 5th wheel about 7.5 meters long and 2.43meters wide with some of the desired features.

Flying into Cagary then vancover, Banff and rockies train then cruise western passage

I actually  missEd out.... read chickened out of a Cummins pusher for  8k pounds maybe 9 to 10k us needed a bit of work but new roof, just noticed chevying diesel with maybe head gasket gone for 7k

• Staff
1 hour ago, wil440 said:

Flying into Cagary then vancover, Banff and rockies train then cruise western passage

You'll love it there.  It's just so beautiful.  My wife and I were there the last week of August and we liked it so much that we went back the first week of May.  Are you taking the train out of Calgary? 

The main street of Banff in August

IMG_9143.JPG.1e83c4c8f1eb6dd8205344d2467ee42f.JPG

• Staff

In August of 1972 I hitch hiked there from Monterey, california. Back then main street wasn't packed. One of the evenings while there had an unusual Northern Lites display that locals had never seen before. sheets of light were going from mtn top to mtn top in seconds. It was the coolest thing I ever saw.

Edited by JAG1

Wow thats some backdrop for a mainstreet..... We're on rockie mountain train for 3 days.

There's certainly pros and cons for both rv and 5th wheel. My brother is also looking for one,he's been to see 6 or 7

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2018 at 8:18 PM, IBMobile said:

You'll love it there.  It's just so beautiful.  My wife and I were there the last week of August and we liked it so much that we went back the first week of May.  Are you taking the train out of Calgary? 

The main street of Banff in August

IMG_9143.JPG.1e83c4c8f1eb6dd8205344d2467ee42f.JPG

Yes been there..... thats been took from the National Park building across the bow river bridge,  one word.... WOW, the whole 2 weeks couldn't have been better, If I'd have been 20 years younger the visa/emigration would have been filled out before we came home,  didn't do a lot for the aurgument for rv or trailer as it was about 50/50, one thing that you can't miss is everywhere is set up for recreation and everywhere is so clean

10 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Glad to hear you had a great time.  Were you able to see Lake Louise or Moraine?

Yes we got to Lake Louise,didn't see Moraine, went on cable car to sulphur mountain looking down on a tiny Banff Springs hotel where we were staying. Pity it was only 3 nights in Banff as there was a lot we didn't get to see.  Would be  nice to do Banff for a couple of weeks then alaska to fairbanks and Kodiak island

• 3 months later...

My thoughts on this are that if you are taught the right ways of driving in the tight streets then you can easily get around. I drive full size semi trucks into NYC almost every day for 3 years. You would be stunned to see how tight it can get up in there and how you need to work the truck to get around. 

Now I'm not saying go for the largest rv you can get your hands on, but there are allot of tricks you can use to get around tight corners and roadways.

But when I bought my truck it came with an in bed camper back that head a great floor plan, they only made about 30 of these campers but stopped due to the fact that they were so heavy. I so wish I didn't sell it now. 

For me I would buy either an in bed camper, or a 5wheel because you can really get into tight places with that 5wheel that you can't get into with a regular bumper pull. 

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

5th wheels personally seem to do better in tight spaces being the pivot is more forward compared to bumper pull. 

Yes, but you can also exceed the turning radius of a bumper pull as well. If you need to make a hard turn you can back the truck past 90 degrees and walks the trailer forward this showing you to make that tight turn. You can't go past a 90 in a bumper pull for the same reason.

59 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

For me I would buy either an in bed camper, or a 5wheel because you can really get into tight places with that 5wheel that you can't get into with a regular bumper pull. 

This only works if there is room to swing the tow vehicle. If there is very limited room for everything, then a bumper pull works better, it will follow the truck better, forward or back.

I still haven't decided either way, which is 3 way really, full RV, 5th wheel or bumper, decided to finish our house I've been building since 2009 as I wouldn't have the time to use anything anyway, I've just spent all xmas holiday except xmas day working on house, still watching ebay etc for the rv bargains after xmas though.

My brother jumped and has bought a 32 foot RV petrol with no gas conversion (LPG) 6.8 I think, here in the UK thats a static caravan due to cost of fuel :doh:

I dont have any RV experience, but I can say my gooseneck horse trailer pulls and backs WAY better than the old bumper pull we had.   I can get the trailer in and out of much tighter places even though it is longer than the bumper pull bt a good bit.

5th wheel better turning radius for backing in tight spots and towing is  more stable with weight over axle.  But loss of full truck bed and you get to do tree trimming for bumper pull trailers. 

Find a floor plan you like and go from there.  Both have positives and negatives.