• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cursed DEAD PEDAL!!!

Im having issues with dead pedal. Dont know where to start?!? Its been getter worse. Was happening about once or so every few months....would forget about it, then it would happen again. An today it happened 4-5xs home from work(about 35kms). If i push in clutch an pump pedal a few times itl will come back....then randomly cut out again while just cruising( barely on the pedal). Wondering if this HOT summer weather has somthing to do with it?? Any direction would help thnx!

• Owner

The guys here are on the right track. Fuel pressure is the key to keeping the VP44 cooled and happy so if your fuel pressure is 14-20 PSI you should be fine but if you're below this then you running the pump hot. Any error codes? I wouldn't replace the APPS sensor till you get good signs its the sensor failing like a P0122 or P0123 code. AC noise from the alternator is a common problem you might check the alternator on a bench for AC ripple. Then there is the ground wire mod which cures a bunch of this problem.

• Like 1

The check engine light comes on when it happens...but then goes out again a bit after it’s corrected, like while still driving it or next time its shut off/turnd on?! Not sure of the codes. An dont have fuel pressure gauge (yet). Im very easy on my truck an rarely even get into even 1/2 or 3/4 pedal. It always happens when im just cruising hwy speed with foot barely on pedal. Whats this ground mod?!

The ground mod is well worth the effort. It will cut down the stray AC voltage the alternator puts out. I cant fo the technical explanation but it works and saves a lot strain on all the electronic components. It is only a 2 hour job and worth every minute.

I experienced dead pedal many years ago when my in tank fuel was growing weak and after getting the fuel pressure back up cured it. I had no cel light during these episodes. You need to get a FP gauge or at the least get a test gauge and see what you pressure is. Low pressure will also take your VP out with it.

Fast forward to about 5 years and the dead pedal issue came back with the cel lit and TPS codes set. Though during this I also had engine surging. I have narrowed this part down to the wiring harness just have not had the time to open it up. I was able to make it stop by manipulating the harnes and for now it no longer does it. 

There is more than one thing that can cause dead pedal and it usually is not the TPS that causes it. But a Timbo APPS/TPS is a worthwhile investment as mentioned above by @Dieselfuture.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Does the truck start right up or does it have to crank a little longer? I had the same dead pedal.  A new vp44 and all is good.  Hopefully it's something less expensive than that.  Definitely get a gauge for fuel pressure.  I once blew the fuse for my lift pump and it would not run.  Maybe low pressure is causing your issue.  Unfortunately that could lead to vp44 failure.  Are you adding 2 stroke oil to the fuel?

L8tr

D

Truck fires rite up everytime no problem. An the vp is fairly new...within las year. Always add “Stanadyne” diesel fuel additive. Have been driving truck daily still an since I started post it hasnt happend again?! 

FWIW when my ECM crashed mine cranked fine everytime, but you could not drive it.

I would also recommend to start using TCW3 2 cycle oil instead of the Stanadyne. Your new VP will love you for it.

And here's to the dead pedal never returning.:cheers:

Ok cool, good to know. Ive heard of using 2 cycle oil but never really looked into it. Thnx for all the info everyone. Long weekend...i know what im doing lol

Anyone know where to get a decent/cheap$ in-cab fp gauge. 

• Owner
16 minutes ago, UnrulyDually said:

Anyone know where to get a decent/cheap$ in-cab fp gauge.

Decent and cheap in the same line is not going to happen. The best to come close to that would be the ISSPro EV1 series mechanical. 

https://www.dieselautopower.com/eva-2-1-16-mechanical-fuel-0-30-psi-r5604r