• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Possible Problem with 24v Cummins

Ok. Me and my dad were compairing the 24v to the common rail 24v side my side. I went and pulled the dipstick for the oil and looked at it and my dad noticed that the oil on the stick has a tinge of green in it. So we were both thinking that anti-freeze was getting into the oil some how. But here is the thing. Oil level is not raising any, oil is does not look a milky color to it, And it does not smell like anti-freeze is in there. So I thought maby there is some diesel getting in there but it does not smell like it is. Plus I am still getting same fuel milage I always have. My anti-freeze looks clean and green no signs of oil in it. Truck runs normal. So this weekend I changed the oil cause it was due for it and put Shell rotella T in it as well as Lucas oil stableizer. Drove it about 200+ miles and checked the oil and its still clean as can be. Oil pressure from the cab gauge runs normally. My dad told me that the oil should of been black by the time I traveled 200 some miles. This is getting me a bit worried about something so if any one has any idea or questions to ask me to help me figure out what going on that would be great. There is no check engine light on. Thanks

You can not compare a common rail to a 24 valve. My 02 even with 150 hp injectors and hrvp44 will stay clean looking until around 2k miles on the oil. A common rail has a different injection cycle and higher pressures and the oil will always be black as coal.

You can not compare a common rail to a 24 valve. My 02 even with 150 hp injectors and hrvp44 will stay clean looking until around 2k miles on the oil. A common rail has a different injection cycle and higher pressures and the oil will always be black as coal.

I wasnt comparing the oil between the two motors we were just looking at the differences Cummins made between those years but that was something I did not know though so thanks for pointing that out. Any idea on the green tinge. Is that common for these motors cause I really did not pay much attention to oil color on previous oil changes

I think the green you saw was normal. It sounds like the oil was just a greenish color which it always seems to turn greenish before coalish. I agree with W&F, different engines, different oil coaling rates. I could change the oil in my ford and drive it a mile and it would look like the oil I just drained.

I think the green you saw was normal. It sounds like the oil was just a greenish color which it always seems to turn greenish before coalish. I agree with W&F, different engines, different oil coaling rates. I could change the oil in my ford and drive it a mile and it would look like the oil I just drained.

I never saw it coal black. I ran 7,500 miles on it and it had the greenish tinge. I just changed it. OK so the oil not turning black right away is normall. Thanks good to hear. and you think the green tinge is normall to. Maby I am getting to worked up about it. Thanks for the replys

You might send off a sample to have it analyzed then. When in doubt, find out!

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Alright I am finding numerous threads on green tint to oil. All are using rotella, all are vp44 trucks.. I say it's something to do with rotella and the 2nd gen 24v's. I been going through all of them and nobody is ever analyzing it so I can't tell you exactly what's doing it. Everyone on all the threads say it is normal or ignore it altogether. I don't think there is reason to worry. Sounds like your on top of everything, when coolant or oil starts changing, then I would worry.

• Owner

When coolant enters the oil typically it turns like chocolate malt in bad cases... But even in light cases you'll see moisture on the oil cap or top of the dip stick after the truck had sat overnight... Just monitor your coolant level and your oil level closely for a few days... If nothing changes then you should be fine... But like ISX pointed out it might not be a bad idea to have it tested...

• 1 month later...

Before this Dodge I had a Ford F250 with the old 7.3 diesel. I used Esso oil 15/40 and every time I did an oil change, shortly after it had a very noticable green tinge to it to where i also wondered about antifreeze mixing. My symptoms where the same as yours. I ended up chalking it up to the oil and stopped worrying about it. Drove it 6 years like that and had no issues , with the motor that is, the rest is best unsaid:lmao:

I have been amazed at how clean the oil in my 5.9 stays, I,ve owned and operated dozens of diesels and this one stays the cleanest by far. I would compare it to new gas engine for changing oil color. At 3500 miles it will still look like I just changed the oil, at 6000 miles it a little brown on the dip stick but is still translucent. Also after 6000 miles it only down 1/2 quart. So far I,m impressed with this little 5.9.

• 9 months later...