• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Surging and Turbo Bark under heavy throttle

Back again for my second post.

So the problem is when I'm getting on the freeway if I push the throttle any more than 50% while going from 35 to get to 75. When the TC locks the truck will surge and the turbo will bark as the boost jumps from the 32psi I have the adjustable boost set at up to 45 psi. Don't know how it gets past the 32 i set it for but it does. 

After it locks with same throttle position after I get past 60-65 it stops and will not do it again unless I do the above scenario. 

I think I already know what it is, which is that I'm still running a hx35 on a built transmission and triple disk. And with all the go fast parts the turbo over spins?

I should mention that I am not pouring out soot only a light haze when I do the above.(trying to keep it short sorry)

I have a lot of mods... ones that are relative. New Bosch VP44 from thoroughbread about 2k on it. New timbo app 1k. Bhaf. 7x.010 SAC sticks. Edgecomp smarty stack.  Goerend tc and vb.  And bd stage 3 rebuild. 

Any thoughts of I'm correct on the stock turbo being the issue. Any ideas on how to keep the boost at 32?

Bigger problems? Hunting season coming up so I'm on a tight budget... haha priorities.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

If you are on a tight budget you should unstack the smarty and sell it.  There is no point to the stack it might also be causing your issues because you are effectively throwing %100 duration at the truck at any throttle position over %30.

You are vastly overfueled by your setup on a stock turbo with way too much duration.

I'll unstack it today and see if it fixes the problem. If it does I'll just keep it to pass emissions every other year.

I should mention this only started happening after I put the triple disk in. 

If unstacking doesnt fix it any other suggestions? I've tried turning the edge off due to easy access and it still does it.

what you said about adjustable boost doesn't make sense.  

You have it set at 45 psi or 32 psi?   

Regardless I would unstack that setup.  Better tuning would suit you well.  You are pouring a ton of fuel at that poor little hx35. 

Edited by Me78569

Sorry I meant to say that i have the Wastegate set at 32 but somehow it goes over that almost to 45psi.

Was reading through your write up. It actually makes a lot of sense. 

Sounds like I still need a turbo though, especially with the aftermarket injectors. 

With terrible logic I figured if I'm not pouring out smoke that the fuel was being burned.  

Edited by Dustin24v

You are burning the fuel, but the turbo is well outside of it's map.    You are just pushing the turbo past the 32psi by overhwelming the system with fuel aka excess energy to ovespeed the turbo.

The edge and 7 x .010's is enough fuel for a 62/68/12 turbo and 500+ hp  the ehx is maxed at ~350 hp 

Having the programmers off it should be ok to drive until I get a new turbo then correct?  Or are the injectors still providing too much fuel? I was looking at the old super b specials but they are pretty pricey now. Is the special overglorified? 

@Mopar1973Man would ac noise also cause the engine to throttle without touching the pedal? Example. When I drive 15 min to work and coast around looking to park my truck will throttle/deadpedal until the truck is shut off. Fire it back up runs just fine then coasting around neighborhood to get home does the same thing. Does this about 1-2 times a week. Sometimes I'll go a few weeks without the problem. 

• Owner
10 minutes ago, Dustin24v said:

@Mopar1973Man would ac noise also cause the engine to throttle without touching the pedal?

Yes.

Manual transmission since we don't have torque converter it comes out as an unsteady throttle or cruise control. I've seen mine set for 65 MPH throttle up to 75 MPH and drop randomly to 45 MPH and start over.

Alright I'll have to give them a call. Thanks. 

For the w-t ground wire mod would I be getting rid of the bd noise isolate

then?  Also with all the accessories on the truck should I have an equal amount of leads/load to each battery or does it matter? (Accessorie Connections)

Yes on the noise isolate. After the ground mod you will have a stud you can use for accessories in the PDC.

Speaking of accessories, if you would fill out your signature in your profile you can list what truck you have and all of the mods and it will appear under every post you make. It is good info to share when you have an issue.

• Owner
2 hours ago, Dustin24v said:

would I be getting rid of the bd noise isolate then?

Absolutely... You should of never installed them.

2 hours ago, Dustin24v said:

Also with all the accessories on the truck should I have an equal amount of leads/load to each battery or does it matter?

Nothing should be tied to the batteries. You Accessories should be wired to the PDC BATT terminal. Then after the W-T mod then the alternator lead will be gone too so that could be heavy load  lug and its even fused for 140 Amps. 

Image result for mopar1973man pdc power

9 hours ago, Dustin24v said:

Back again for my second post.

So the problem is when I'm getting on the freeway if I push the throttle any more than 50% while going from 35 to get to 75. When the TC locks the truck will surge and the turbo will bark as the boost jumps from the 32psi I have the adjustable boost set at up to 45 psi. Don't know how it gets past the 32 i set it for but it does. 

After it locks with same throttle position after I get past 60-65 it stops and will not do it again unless I do the above scenario. 

I think I already know what it is, which is that I'm still running a hx35 on a built transmission and triple disk. And with all the go fast parts the turbo over spins?

I should mention that I am not pouring out soot only a light haze when I do the above.(trying to keep it short sorry)

I have a lot of mods... ones that are relative. New Bosch VP44 from thoroughbread about 2k on it. New timbo app 1k. Bhaf. 7x.010 SAC sticks. Edgecomp smarty stack.  Goerend tc and vb.  And bd stage 3 rebuild. 

Any thoughts of I'm correct on the stock turbo being the issue. Any ideas on how to keep the boost at 32?

Bigger problems? Hunting season coming up so I'm on a tight budget... haha priorities.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Your turbo is surging with the triple disc because you are actually putting the power to the ground, transmission isn't slipping any more. Direct connection no slippage=load on the engine=boost. 

Ah ok. I will get everything done this weekend and report the news of my issues if anything it will be good preventative maintenance to keep that expensive vp44 healthy. I just switched all my accessories to the pdc noticed my gauges aren't fluctuating anymore. 

I'll have to get a larger turbo then to stop the surge for sure. Hopefully I can find a BD Special  for cheap or anything equal in specs. Low 500's is the most I want for hp to the wheels.

Edited by Dustin24v
  • Thanks 1

I to think the triple is putting more load on motor less slip equals more boost and fuel. 

A triple puts it down to ground it also is hydraulically locking much better than a single.

Maybe take the edge off. If you want to keep the smart till you get a turbo 

Assuming you did a billett input. If not I'd unstick right away to keep from snapping your input shaft.

Edited by Evan

22 hours ago, Dustin24v said:

Ah ok. I will get everything done this weekend and report the news of my issues if anything it will be good preventative maintenance to keep that expensive vp44 healthy. I just switched all my accessories to the pdc noticed my gauges aren't fluctuating anymore. 

I'll have to get a larger turbo then to stop the surge for sure. Hopefully I can find a BD Special  for cheap or anything equal in specs. Low 500's is the most I want for hp to the wheels.

I like the signature. Sure makes it easy for all to see. Now if I can get some more folks to do the same.

Looks like you are in good hands with your issues. 

• Owner
22 hours ago, Dustin24v said:

Hopefully I can find a BD Special  for cheap or anything equal in specs. Low 500's is the most I want for hp to the wheels.

Be careful, you are taking about stud territory. I would look at getting a set of ARP studs really soon. Basically the rule of thumb every 1 pound of boost is 10 horsepower. If your asking for 500 HP to the wheels your asking for at least 50 PSI of boost. I'm playing a thin tightrope myself running 45 PSI of boost with my setup. 

• Owner
8 minutes ago, Evan said:

What do you guys do with all that power

Me... I've designed around my driving and local highways. I've got my truck built for good quick power for passing semi-trucks on a two-lane highway with short passing areas. Then keeping the power limit down to keep the MPG numbers up. Then to top it off keeping the longevity of the truck high.

https://mopar1973man.com/garage/vehicle/101-2002-dodge-ram-2500/?show=mods

• Like 1