• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I am on vacation and broke down need some help

From everything I have read the auto's take a ton more money to tow heavy with than a standard, plus why have 4 gears instead of 6 :-) Now on the new trucks its 6 or 6, but I will still take a standard anyday. The places I hunt/tow are murder on auto's. Auto's are for racing and wives, standards are for trucks that tow; I think most folks would agree. For guys that haul and tow I have rarely heard a guy with a standard wish they had an auto, but you hear guys with auto's wish they bought sticks all the time.

I disagree, hauling is for autos, standards are for little boys!....LOL

• Owner

From everything I have read the auto's take a ton more money to tow heavy with than a standard, plus why have 4 gears instead of 6 :-) Now on the new trucks its 6 or 6, but I will still take a standard anyday. The places I hunt/tow are murder on auto's. Auto's are for racing and wives, standards are for trucks that tow; I think most folks would agree. For guys that haul and tow I have rarely heard a guy with a standard wish they had an auto, but you hear guys with auto's wish they bought sticks all the time.

Mom's got a Auto 96 1/2 ton (gasser 5.9L) and I like the truck in all but I really hate that truck if it got any load at all because coming down hill 1st gear goes all the way to 40 MPH before it holds up good and tight (near redline at 5K RPM's) constantly dragging the brakes. Now my 2002 Cummins 5 speed trailer and bed loaded 2nd gear and the Ex. Brake 20-25 MPH and very controllable... Rarely touch the brakes hence why I got 171K on my factory brake pads... :tongue: Auto are not suited for this...:smart:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh7lOJLD948

• Like 2

• Staff

Mom's got a Auto 96 1/2 ton (gasser 5.9L) and I like the truck in all but I really hate that truck if it got any load at all because coming down hill 1st gear goes all the way to 40 MPH before it holds up good and tight (near redline at 5K RPM's) constantly dragging the brakes. Now my 2002 Cummins 5 speed trailer and bed loaded 2nd gear and the Ex. Brake 20-25 MPH and very controllable... Rarely touch the brakes hence why I got 171K on my factory brake pads... :tongue:

All the rigs I drove growing up were autos, Dad had a LD 3/4 Chev with a 4l60 and a HD 454 burb with a 4L80. I didn't like the way they towed, shifting into 2nd when not needed (heck the 454 burb would do it not towing on a steep hill, 454's have more tq than that). The think that did auto's in for me and dad was the road to elk camp, 70 miles of dirt with several passes in there. The auto's would get so stinkin hot! The LD 3/4 did okay as we never towed more than 4-5K into camp with it, but it would be 70 miles of towing without a lockup! The HD burb would tow 7-8K with a FULL truck, probably GCWR of over 17K and the trans would overheat the motor thru the radiator, with electric fans and a huge trans cooler. Then, like you said, was the downhill of forest service roads, YUCK! If we kept the rigs in 2HI the brakes would cook on the 7 miles from the top of the mtn back to camp, especially on the heavy burb. SO 2LO (posi-loks are great, and will work on your mom's rig), 2nd gear would keep the brakes from starting fires. The 4L60 needed replaced at 120K miles, and the 4L80 is still going strong at over 200K, but they both had annual fluid changes with Amsoil ATF and had oversize coolers. I don't think the 4L80 would have made it to 100K with stock fluid or coolers. My brother has an 06 QC LB Hemi with an auto, and man that thing seems to take a TON of throttle to get it to move, i've never like the feel of it. Exhaust brakes and manual trans are the way to go for towing and back roads, hands down.

• Owner

Mopar man: Sure is pretty up there where you are at. What brand of exhaust brake is that exactly? And would it work on a 01 with the 6 speed?

Here is what I got... http://www.jakebrake.com/products/ld.php Owners Manual... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=81 My write up... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/exhaust-brake/exhaust-brake.htm
  • Like 1

• Staff

Mopar man: Sure is pretty up there where you are at. What brand of exhaust brake is that exactly? And would it work on a 01 with the 6 speed?

Like Michael I run a Jake brake as well. I am very happy with its performance and my 6 speed. With your 01 and a 6 speed its a perfect match. The 01 was designed to have a brake, so the ECM is ready to control it, and IMHO, this is the best way to do it.
  • Like 1

I run a Cummins eBrake which is a Jacobs exhaust brake rebadged with Cummins logo's. I modified mine to operate through a Cummins gearshift stalk switch and just leave the dash switch on all the time.

• Like 1

• Staff

I run a Cummins eBrake which is a Jacobs exhaust brake rebadged with Cummins logo's. I modified mine to operate through a Cummins gearshift stalk switch and just leave the dash switch on all the time.

I use the shifter switch also, its the way to go IMHO!

i know i'm a little late to the table...but a standard trans is not that hard to rebuild. i did my ford's. prior to that...i had only changed fluids and brakes, etc. i most major city's there is a transmission part store(one in tulsa, and one in OKC) and that's usually were garages get the parts. i took the parts i wanted replaced(in my case...needle bearings) and had them match it up. since i was in there i changed the syncros. i have many pics if anyone is interested

i know i'm a little late to the table...but a standard trans is not that hard to rebuild. i did my ford's. prior to that...i had only changed fluids and brakes, etc. i most major city's there is a transmission part store(one in tulsa, and one in OKC) and that's usually were garages get the parts. i took the parts i wanted replaced(in my case...needle bearings) and had them match it up. since i was in there i changed the syncros. i have many pics if anyone is interested

Dang we are neighbors practically, I live out by Shawnee. Best place around here if you have problems with the nv4500 or the 5600 is Blumenthal in OKC. I am about to bring them a nv5600 I found at a junkyard for $500. If you bring it to them they will tear it all apart and inspect for $475, put in all new synchros for $280 and bearings for about the same, and if you don't need hard parts, you are good to go for under $1,000 and that is for a 5600. No telling how much cheaper a 4500 would be to have gone through there.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Like Michael I run a Jake brake as well. I am very happy with its performance and my 6 speed. With your 01 and a 6 speed its a perfect match. The 01 was designed to have a brake, so the ECM is ready to control it, and IMHO, this is the best way to do it.

I sure appreciate the information, I think I will go and buy one of them I like that. :thumbup2:

2002 dodge ho 6 speed stock I am on my way to montana from amarillo,texas and I am outside albuquerque. I set the cruise and am going about 70 mph down the highway. I start to notice the the truck starts to feel like it is surging. It is pretty hilly up and down and i think it is just the cruise adjusting and then all of the sudden the tranny just feels like the clutch just let go or the tranny locked up. It just starts to decelerate rapidly and just feels like the it is lurching like it does when your in 1st gear when you pull away. I push the clutch in and it just keeps jumping around. I get it pulled over on the side of the road. I get out and notice some fluid coming off the tranny. It is not thick tranny fluid but thin almost like the brake fluid for the hydraulics. It seems to be coming from on top of the tranny. I can see where the hydraulic slave goes for the clutch and no fluid there. The hole unit all the way up to the reservoir is dry and the reservoir is still full. I cannot shift the transmission at all. It feels like it is in nuetral but cannot shift anyway at all. I pushed the clutch in and started the truck and slowly let the clutch out and it started to go back like it is in reverse and it just sounds like every thing is teinging around in the tranny. It sounds so bad I just know the tranny is just trashed. The clutch seems to be working. Any thoughts. Thanks Rob

You can get one with 3 years and all the miles that you can put on it in 3 years. www.everdrive.com standard 6 speed 4x4 complete free shiping 5.000.00