• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I'm stuck on a topic that I see a lot on 2nd gens, especially moving up in horsepower.  Beef up the transmission, upgrade the tranny, etc.  What is the most practical option to do this? I'm looking to get to the 500hp range.  Suggestions?  Thanks in advance! 

Have a trans built at the minimum good shift kit billet imput shaft flexplate triple disck converter ... Seeing the insides of a few I would do all clutches and all upgrades while I'm in there I can have a trans built for me around me for a bout 3800 installed so it's not so bad 

1 minute ago, Silverdodge said:

You do not want to blow a input shaft believe me it sucks

Edited by Silverdodge
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Basically, 6 hour drive for me, camp out for 2 nights and 6 hours back home. 

DSCF3652_phatch.jpg.7e975b6be2b7181955f7

1996 Dodge 1500 - 46RE 

DSCF6861.JPG.4fe6e3a56c5869d5ea348b7ad1d

Yes, I been to his place and he'll probably do mine.  Was planned for this summer, but wife is sick and can't travel or be left alone for a 6 hour drive (for me also.)

Imo about anything mechanical could break or fall apart.  Wonder if possible or how hard it would be for shop that rebuilt trans to coordinate with the shop that is many miles or several states away?

Maybe Dynamic could give his experience? That is if he ever had this happen.  Even the best might of had a part failure somewhere in their past.  

1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

You folks that bought trans so far from home... any hesitations?  

None in the least.  I met and worked a bit for Tony Garcin (Dunrite) and learned a lot from him although at that point he didn't really build any trannies.  Mostly convertors and valve bodies.  He eventually sold the business to Source but was still going to build my transmission when the time came.  Unfortunately he passed before then.  Lost a great resource and personal friend. 

So when the time came I was looking for someone to do mine Jon was responding to posts some here and some on Cummins forum.  I got the sense he knew what was going on inside these things.  I had some private messages with him and talked a couple times on the phone and was quite satisfied with how/what he was saying.

I had him do two for me and no reservations whatsoever.  I do have to admit he has also become a personal friend although I would still not give him thumbs up if I didn't truly think he was very good at what he does.  I am from Vancouver so roughly same distance give or take a few.

Does anyone on here have a Firepunk trans?

I hear all the talk about Dynamic and it has me itching to pull trans for a build. Firepunk is just north of where I live. I know it's nice to be near your builder but I wouldn't hesitate to ship mine out to WA.

Edited by gipperkid

2 hours ago, gipperkid said:

Did you add a billet output?

I did not. Jon said it wasn’t neccesary with my power goals. Whats not included in that list is a billet flexplate which I had him install as well for my own piece of mind.

As far as any hesitations to drive out there and install and drive home, I didn’t exactly that, over the Cascades to boot and zero issues or worries.

@gipperkid Being as close as you are to firepunk is definitely nice being that it’s not cheap to rebuild and being close to the builder adds that piece of mind. Again since I have personal experience with Jon, I wouldn’t hesitate to pull/ship my trans to him if I ever were to do it again. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I did not. Jon said it wasn’t neccesary with my power goals. Whats not included in that list is a billet flexplate which I had him install as well for my own piece of mind.

As far as any hesitations to drive out there and install and drive home, I didn’t exactly that, over the Cascades to boot and zero issues or worries.

@gipperkid Being as close as you are to firepunk is definitely nice being that it’s not cheap to rebuild and being close to the builder adds that piece of mind. Again since I have personal experience with Jon, I wouldn’t hesitate to pull/ship my trans to him if I ever were to do it again. 

Curious, what are your power goals?