• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 5.9 dodge 3500 SLT automatic

So I have a 2002 5.9 dodge 3500 SLT automatic.  Not the best turbo but I wan’t to get the most out of it.  I have an iQuad v2 tuner with 10levels plus a boost fooler.  Never go above level 5 due too stock transmission.  Id say I have lightly modified it.  Larger exhaust minifold, 5inch turbo back, 275 RV injectors, Airdog ll 4G 165, AFE intake.  I have gauges on everything to monitor.  The most I can get is 23pds of boost.  I have heard some guys tighten something to where the waste gate stays open.  Is that do able on my turbo or would anybody even recommended it.  It would be cool to see like 30-32pds of boost but I know at the same time it’s not going to be any better on a stock tranny. Just want to know if it possible to do, if so how and would anybody recommend it? 

Edited by Daniel2ndgen2002
Error

https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/1045991/

or you could go the cheap route like I did and buy a $ 3.00 turn buckle at the hardware store, I didn’t want to spend much on the hy35 since it’s got over 300k miles on it and going to upgrade anyway. About 28 psi is about the max I see which is in the safe zone for what I got.

7 hours ago, Daniel2ndgen2002 said:

Okay thanks guys, when you say J Hook. You mean Make some kind of hook that just holds the wastegate open at all times? 

The j hook or turnbuckle will hold the waste gate closed. If you hold it open you build no pressure.

• Like 1

If you have v2 tuning you don't need anything just plug the hole in a turbo where hose go see to waste gate and use a defuel option to whatever psi you want, that's how my truck been for a long time now. 

I just remembered you probably have hy35 and a metal tube, I guess if you don't want to drill and tap an 1/8" by 27 pipe thread and put a plug in turbo housing you could just use a turn buckle.

Awesome, well looks like I’ll be taking the boost fooler plug off and adding the HX35 turbo off my 99 dodge 3500.  What kind of boost numbers should I see with that turbo?  Any difference in EGT’s?   Would you recommend I go ahead and put the j hook on that turbo as well before installing it. 

A transgo shift kit will help alot and up grade a few parts you can get to in the pan.

Your probly not going to build much boost past 20psi with either turbo.

Stock injectors and the trucks defueiling there anyways

On August 11, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Daniel2ndgen2002 said:

Awesome, well looks like I’ll be taking the boost fooler plug off and adding the HX35 turbo off my 99 dodge 3500.  What kind of boost numbers should I see with that turbo?  Any difference in EGT’s?   Would you recommend I go ahead and put the j hook on that turbo as well before installing it. 

You don't need the J-hook for the HX35, only a boost elbow. J-hook is for the HY only.

1 hour ago, Dynamic said:

Oh boy... Don't get me started on that one...! LOL

I got one of your replies to this copy & pasted ready to go if you need it, just give the word! lmao