• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Where is the low power? 

I've been pondering this. 

Turbo upgrade? 

Diff gears? 

ECM mod? 

You get to a point when all forms and info get so jumbled you forgot what you are looking for. 

I don't tow much, some, but not much. I want that tire burning diesel action when I feel the need to use it. 

I can get about 35 lbs of boost with my setup, which is good, egts climb to the 1500s at Wot( rarely at Wot) .  Little worried about that. From what I read my Hx35w (54/60/12) is a good turbo, but a 60/60/12 or 62/68/12 would spool faster.  But would that rip the tires loose?  If so what is the right turbo internal upgrade? 

I thought about changing diff gears to 4.11 for low end power with my 285s but my current 3.55 seems to be where I need to be.. I think. 

I've also heard talk about a Mad catcher ECM mod ripping off the line but don't know how it plays with quadzilla. 

Once I'm rolling, it's on, but from a dead stop what's the magic ingredient to rip loose? What am I missing? 

With your setup I would say smaller tires and power break it, maybe put in a line lock on front brakes. 

62/68/12 is a good turbo but spool up will be slower, but will have lot more valume, compounds is where it's at.

Not sure about ECM mod, sounds maybe something to do with torque management. And that could definitely keep you from ripping tires loose.

With your current injectors and tuning, a 62/68/12 would be a good fit.  I have seen that setup (with slightly different tuning) make 502/1214 on a dyno a 7000' elevation. Remember, boost isn't the only thing you want to see.  You want to see air flow as well.

With your 3.55's, a set of 245 tires will bring your final ratio to 3.69:1, which is better for more torque to the ground, but it will look goofy.

the MADS tuning you're talking about is a Smarty.  Your quadzilla will already do everything the smarty will plus more, but just in a different fashion. 

Trick to getting it to rip like you want is the smaller tires and bringing the fuel in harder and sooner with the quadzilla.

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got a set of 215's in the back of my Cummins right now brand NEW! I'll post up really soon today.

Maybe you ought to put some Krispy Kreme donuts on there. The glaze will give you good traction on something.

• Haha 3

Try this in your tune.  

Take your wiretap fuel stretch and set it to 2000, then take your wiretap tps low set it to 0, take Pump Low Boost Scale PSI set to 0 , take inimum Pump Tap Fueling Percentage and set that to %50.  

Now go out, and put your foot to the floor from a stop.... in a safe place, without people around you.   If you want to burn the tires of then hold the brakes a touch.  

be warned that this type of desire and tuning runs a higher risk of issues.   More tire smoke = more risk of damage.    

Edited by Me78569

• Owner

More or less yes. The bigger the ratio number is to the ground the more torque and power you can produce to the ground. I wouldn't go any lower than 4.10 as a to the ground ratio. But your example of 285's and 4.10 gears would be just the same. The only loss you have now is you stand taller in the wind so high speed wind drag is your weakness. If you keep you speeds down your losses will be reduced. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

More or less yes. The bigger the ratio number is to the ground the more torque and power you can produce to the ground. I wouldn't go any lower than 4.10 as a to the ground ratio. But your example of 285's and 4.10 gears would be just the same. The only loss you have now is you stand taller in the wind so high speed wind drag is your weakness. If you keep you speeds down your losses will be reduced. 

Well I have a 2wd, gotta have a larger stance somehow :)

59 minutes ago, Evan said:

All you've done to tranny is Gov solenoid?

Yeah, so far.  Solenoid and deep sump.  I have talked with Dynamic and will probably get on the Stage 3 setup.  Although the Mrs. did say that if I blow this one up that I can get a tranny or a new truck :whistle2: 

Anyone know if you can just upgrade the Hx35w (54/60/12) to a 62 compressor & 68 turbine in the Hx35 12cm2 housing?

Edited by SavageTusk
turbo question addition

• Owner

Discovery AT3 215/85 R16 on the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500.

20180815_165816.jpg20180815_165824.jpg

I'll admit, boy they look skinny. Just even that little bit of size change improved this little 5.9L V8 gas engine. Even the transmission shifts better. This little truck weighs in at about 5,500 pounds roughly rarely tows anything anymore. most of its time on the highway. Rare to be offroad.