• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Time for a clutch

55 minutes ago, LegendaryKing said:

Dap lists a southbend heavy duty hydraulic assembly.  Is that the master and slave?

Southbend's part # HYDX1-50 has an adjustable pedal feature.  This is important as the OEM and other aftermarket non-adjustable pedal clutch hydraulics will likely frustrate you because they probably will not have enough stroke with the new clutch parts. 

- John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tractorman said:

Southbend's part # HYDX1-50 has an adjustable pedal feature.  This is important as the OEM and other aftermarket non-adjustable pedal clutch hydraulics will likely frustrate you because they probably will not have enough stroke with the new clutch parts. 

- John

So I still need to get a slave and master?  Or this part replaces those?

I myself have the SB hydraulics and they work great.  My clutch pedal height is set to my liking and is surprisingly light on the leg muscles.

SB contracts with a company who not only bores out the stock hydraulic housing for a larger plunger which gives more pedal leverage but they also fit them with braided lines which allow a straight shot from the bell housing up to the master.  To each is own I guess.....

Edited by KATOOM

1 hour ago, LegendaryKing said:

So I still need to get a slave and master?  Or this part replaces those?

The HYDX1-50 is the complete hydraulic setup (master cylinder, slave cylinder, and hydraulic line - all pre-filled).  It comes with an adjustable linkage to lengthen the master cylinder push rod, if necessary.  You may not need the adjustable feature, but if your new clutch engages with the clutch pedal real close the floor, you will be glad that you have this adjustment available.

If you decide to use this part, set the initial adjustment to match your old master cylinder push rod setup.  If your new clutch engages and disengages properly (like the old one did), then there is no need to change the adjustment.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Don't use it. This adjustment most pedal over adjust the pedal and hyper extend the throw out bearing past the fingers of the pressure plate. It not required. I'm still running stock hydro yet with my south bend.

I understand your concern here, but I think that you were very fortunate that your old hydraulics worked well with your new clutch. 

My experience is limited to only three clutch replacements - a 2007 6.7 liter 6spd, a 2006 5.9 liter 6spd (both dual-mass flywheel conversions), and my own truck (a stock replacement).  In all three cases, the existing clutch hydraulic system was not adequate to fully release the clutch - the 2006 and 2007 being the worst. These two truck required the kit with the adjustable linkage.

My truck is okay, but the clutch engagement occurs too close to the floor for my liking, so I will probably get the Soutbend clutch hydraulic kit with the adjustable linkage.

- John

How about a new wrinkle. I currently have a SB clutch, previously a Valair clutch. I still have my oe lines and resevoir. I have replaced both the master and the slave with off the shelf parts. It works fine but i have no comparison to judge the SB hydraulics. You could buy the clutch of your choice and see how it works with your existing hydraulics. If you dont like it buy the aftermarket.

When I was towing my 11K fifth wheel, with the exhaust brake on , the clutch would slip on long, steep downhill grades, like McDonald pass going into Helena, MT. Clutch never slipped on level or uphill pulls. My truck is stock. I called SB, and their recommendation was the dual disc due to fairly heavy towing and the exhaust brake. So that is what I got from DAP.

The dual disc doesn't seem to be very grabby. It doesn't like to slip, so sometimes quick engage, disengage helps when backing. It weighs about 20lbs more than stock. You will notice the engine lugging quicker than with the stock clutch. Pedal pressure isn't much different.

The one thing I changed from the SB kit was the throwout bearing. I read on different forums where people had problems with the supplied throwout bearing. I went with a SKF from Rockauto. It looks to be a lot better quality. I believe SB changed their supplier, they may have a better bearing now. It wouldn't hurt to change the rear seal while your in there. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

I have never slipped my clutch with the EB. That was on the the oe, the Valair, or the SB OFE.

Just now, trreed said:

I would leave the rear main alone if it's not leaking.  Nothing is better than stock.

I changed my non leaking oe one at 370k when the SB went in. It now leaks. Where was that advice 2.5 years ago.:(

• Like 1