• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is There Something I'm Missing With These Head Bolts??

So for my 99 build I decided to buy new head bolts from PureDieselPower that are Cummins OEM head bolts for 98.5-15 and according to the gauge from Cummins they're stretched?????? Here's a picture of the gauge and if you're reading it like I am, here's a picture of the BRAND NEW head bolt I just got out of the Cummins labeled box and according to the gauge its stretched! Am I missing something? Not using the gauge right? I'm getting aggravated because I haven't done anything to the motor in awhile because I've been waiting on these bolts and apparently they're stretched! :duh: 

IMG_20180817_213921272_LL.jpg

IMG_20180817_213945675_LL.jpg

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Maybe they are upgraded bolt that is longer. You might call your supplier and ask them there was changes to bolt lengths.

Of course its Friday night and neither they nor Cummins will be open tomorrow.... Yay for another delayed week.

2 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I doubt they're stretched that much, an 1/8" may be but not that much. I think Mike may be right, upgraded version. Need to check the depth and see, if you got little room to spear I'd use them. That or the are for a diferent motor. 

Pure Diesel Power has them listed as, "98.5-15 Dodge 5.9L/6.7L Cummins Stock Head Bolts" so they're the right bolt as far as I can see. I compared it to a bolt I pulled out of the motor and the one out of the motor is like a thread or two longer than these new bolts, maybe even a 1/16th longer.

@Dieselfuture got ahold of my buddy from Sparks, Nevada who is a diesel tech, and it appears that the gauge I have is for a 12v, no wonder!!

• Like 1

Guest 04Mach1

Measure your gauge to make sure it measures what it's labeled for. I've never had a head bolt from a B or C Cummins exceed the gauge. The last ISC I built had almost 25,000 hours on it when an injector took a crap taking the piston out with it. Head bolts were still well within specs and reused for reassembly.

Quickserve shows the correct head bolt is Cummins part number 3927063.

1 minute ago, 04Mach1 said:

Measure your gauge to make sure it measures what it's labeled for. I've never had a head bolt from a B or C Cummins exceed the gauge. The last ISC I built had almost 25,000 hours on it when an injector took a crap taking the piston out with it. Head bolts were still well within specs and reused for reassembly.

Quickserve shows the correct head bolt is Cummins part number 3927063.

According to a quick google search, the gauge I have is for a 12v listing the head bolt max at 4.807in. whereas you google 24v head bolt gauge you will find a gauge that shows that the max is 5.2in. so I must have gotten a 12v head bolt. Plus I should have known because I believe a 24v isn't an ISB like the gauge lists and is used for, or so I've been told.....

39 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

According to a quick google search, the gauge I have is for a 12v listing the head bolt max at 4.807in. whereas you google 24v head bolt gauge you will find a gauge that shows that the max is 5.2in. so I must have gotten a 12v head bolt. Plus I should have known because I believe a 24v isn't an ISB like the gauge lists and is used for, or so I've been told.....

24 valves are ISB engines.  Interact System B (electronically controlled).  Anything labeled QSB is the heavy duty version.  6BT would reference a 12 valve (6 cylinder, B-series, turbocharged). 

Photo is from the Cummins 3666193 manual.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 01.38.25.png

Edited by sooxies

• Staff
9 hours ago, TheGreatWhite said:

@Dieselfuture got ahold of my buddy from Sparks, Nevada who is a diesel tech, and it appears that the gauge I have is for a 12v, no wonder!!

Just what I was going to ask. The bolts in the first photo are too long to be stretched from use. 

Guess you get to go ahead with the install over the weekend!!!

I didn't realize new bolts were that much cheaper than studs. 

Stock-ish power build?

8 hours ago, TheGreatWhite said:

You got a B/C series head bolt gauge.

The gauge lists that it's used for B and C series, not ISB or ISC engines. As mentioned B and C are older pure mechanical versions. ISB and ISC are the more modern versions, ISB includes anything from 5.9 VP to 6.7 with DEF/DPF

QSB is the heavier version and usually for marine applications, but not always. I use QSB pistons in my truck and dad has QSB pistons and harmonic damper. 

I don't think you need to bother measuring new bolts, just install them per the service manual and go. 

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

Just what I was going to ask. The bolts in the first photo are too long to be stretched from use. 

Guess you get to go ahead with the install over the weekend!!!

I didn't realize new bolts were that much cheaper than studs. 

Stock-ish power build?

You got a B/C series head bolt gauge.

The gauge lists that it's used for B and C series, not ISB or ISC engines. As mentioned B and C are older pure mechanical versions. ISB and ISC are the more modern versions, ISB includes anything from 5.9 VP to 6.7 with DEF/DPF

QSB is the heavier version and usually for marine applications, but not always. I use QSB pistons in my truck and dad has QSB pistons and harmonic damper. 

I don't think you need to bother measuring new bolts, just install them per the service manual and go. 

Sweet!!! Yes it is a mostly stock power build. 99 3/4 ton I picked up dirt cheap considering it came with a new motor to replace the cracked one in it. I was building it for my brother but monday he broke the news to me and is bailing on me so if anyone wants a really nice truck hit me up!