• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is this a bumper dam, or valance? Who has one?

My Sport model has always had this bumper dam, or valance, connected to the bumper and tied to the frame.  I dont know why or what purpose it serves other than maybe helping air flow through the radiators...  But, I see pictures where some 2nd gens dont have one. :confused013: Do you???

Bumper dam.jpg

2 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

I thought it helped with preventing dust and crud getting sucked into radiator.  Mine also had a lower trim piece that wrapped around the bumper.  

Mine has the air dam also. Does the sport package not include the front air dam? I do not see it @KATOOM's picture.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Bumper, Front

Dodge Part No.: 55235115

SEAL RADIATOR

Part Description SEAL Radiator
Manufacturer Mopar. This genuine Mopar part is guaranteed by Mopar's factory warranty.
Manufacturer's Notes

This part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase.

49 minutes ago, dripley said:

Mine has the air dam also. Does the sport package not include the front air dam? I do not see it @KATOOM's picture.

I have no clue

The earlier sports used a painted front bumper...with all like parts of the chrome.

The 00 up sport had a full urethane cover...no lower valance.

It does have that diaper pictured, but no valance.

Edited by Stormin08

1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Bumper, Front

Dodge Part No.: 55235115

SEAL RADIATOR

Part Description SEAL Radiator
Manufacturer Mopar. This genuine Mopar part is guaranteed by Mopar's factory warranty.
Manufacturer's Notes

This part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase.

I have no clue

Looks like part #17...  Whats it called?

• Staff

My truck has one.  Most of the cars I work on have something similar to it going from behind the bumper to the radiator core support.  It is an air guide to direct air over the A/C condenser, radiator and any other heat exchanger there may be out front.   It's also used to catch tools and small parts from hitting the ground

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was thinking it had to be along the same idea of an air dam / splitter, whereby creating negative air pressure for radiator air flow, but usually those things hang down in the air path.  This looks more like IBMobile calling it a tool catcher...

My original one stayed up but was not riveted. It just stayed up by itself, dont remember how. After replacing my damaged front end with new to me parts it  hangs down and has no holes where it was riveted to anything but wont stay up. I guess it's just a wind flap now.