• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So having owned my ‘99 for a little over two months and towing my tractor a few times I think I have decided to see if I can upgrade some things to get some more power.  I am as I think that would satisfy my needs.  

Looking at 7X.009 SAC injectors, a turbo, gauges, and a tuner of some kind to manage smoke and heat.

Need some recommendations on a turbo and tuner.

Thinking about this Turbo as a direct replacement. 

For the tuner:  either an Edge Comp or the Quadzilla Iquad.  Really don’t have the experience to create my own tunes and need more knowledge of diesel theory to be able to get the most out of a tuner so leaning towards something with “canned” tunes.

Will run gauges for egt, boost, and trans temp.   What range boost gauge should I use, up to 50psi?  Already have a fuel gauge.

So chime in guys with your ideas and help me choose the right parts to start with.

C457536A-D5DE-4CB2-992F-1D1BECE9E8FC.jpeg

I would be careful with to much upgrade if your auto trans is still stock :

I upgraded my 300,000 mile truck with a new set of RV 275's and a Quad xzt +, considering I did not want to over stress my trans more than it already is with the heavy towing I use it for, but it woke up the cummins for sure and even netted me an increase of about 1.5 mpg, along with some decent power improvements,

As far as your boost gauge 0-50 psi. is the one you want,

Yeah, I don’t really know what all has been done to the transmission.  It does,have a billet converter and it shifts really firm and works well.

just need more power for towing and will address the tranny weakness when needed.

• Owner
1 hour ago, Imaybail said:

leaning towards something with “canned” tunes.

I highly suggest against this. Canned tunes are only built for stock trucks. Now after you put bigger injectors and other mods on that canned tune will not fit anymore. This is what pushed me away from the Edge Comp toward the Quadzilla at least with the Quadzilla you can control your fuel to boost and keep the smoke down to nothing. Where my Edge Comp couldn't run any setting without smoking fairly good. 

Looking at 7X.009 SAC injectors, a turbo, gauges, and a tuner of some kind to manage smoke and heat.

So with that being said the Edge Comp will not fit. 

Thinking about this Turbo as a direct replacement. 

I'm not sure what turbo that is exactly. Sounds like my HX35/40 Hybrid. I would suggest you get ahold of Jacob over at Diesel Auto Power he's got a better turbo that will fit. He's was wanting me to jump on this because it would fit my fuel I've got at 7 x 0.0085 injectors. 

Now my 7 x 0.0085 injectors from DAP and my HX35/40 (60/60/12) turbo with the Quadzilla on Level 3 (of my custom tune which is CANBus only) I can haul my RV (31 foot Jayco) up any grade 6% or 7% with my foot mashed to the floor and never reach 1,200*F. If you wanting custom tunes guys here will be glad to help build a tune that does what you want. You can even jump in the Download area and download available tunes.

https://mopar1973man.com/files/category/22-quadzilla-standard-tunes/

• Owner
7 minutes ago, Imaybail said:

What is the turbo DAP is recommending?

The Piers diesel one uses the hx35 turbine housing with a new compressor housing and wheel.

Not sure exactly but it would be just a bit bigger and better flow than my 60/60/12 I've got now. All I can say is ask him. I'll even tag him in hopes he shows up here. @dieselautopower

When I had my tranny rebuilt about 6 years ago, I told the rebuilder to just go stock for that’s all I could afford at the time, I told him I tow 10 to 12k load on occasion up done pretty steep passes, He told me he would put a single disc billet converter in it at minimum and a few other mods but can’t remember exactly, but it still has the stock shafts for sure, still just pushing around 300 hp it seems to be holding its own, 

as as far as the caned tunes the quad XZT  puts about 70 extra horse on level 3, which will get some smoke if you don’t roll into it easy, but clears up momentarily, I blame the hy35 turbo for some of that

If you're planning on keeping your truck I would definitely get Quadzilla, you'll be much happier in the long run. Just like yesterday driving around I was trying to adjust my can bus so I don't blow smoke with my 7x10 vco ( I would recommend going with vco) so after few tries I was successfully not blowing any smoke and still have all the power when I mash the pedal. I now start at 76 for canbus to keep it clean, with a canned tuner you'll be stuck starting at 100. And there's so much more you can do with timing.

• Like 1

OK, I guess the Quadzilla is going to be the tuner, so any more ideas on a turbo?  Would really prefer something that will be a direct replacement with better efficiency and capability to manage smoke and heat.  Leaning towards a HX/HY hybrid.

You'll have enough fuel for a S300g.  The turbo you posted looks like a newer version of an older Dodgezilla turbo.  Without knowing the size and source of the PDR compressor wheel it will be hard to compare efficiency to a Borg Warner.  But I can tell you the SXE line of Borg turbos are very good at smoke control and efficiency, but will need a full 4" exhaust.  

Based on the modifications you listed out as potential upgrades, you'll be in the 450 hp range, which will (and this is an assumption) overwhelm the PDR turbo, because I'm fairly certain it is just a HX35/40 hybrid.

Edited by trreed

If you are looking for a super quick spooling turbo rated for about 400HP and stock fitment  this is the turbo I would go with.

https://www.dieselautopower.com/s200gx-e-dodge-ram-upgrade-turbo-12769880001  68lbs/minute and a more responsive wurbine wheel than the 57mmSXE style s300 which would be my recommendation if you wanted a little more power on top end and something rated for 500HP.

K27 is also an option, but even though it has a 60mm compressor wheel it does not flow as much (only slightly more than the hx35) and requires modifications for fitment (unless you are looking for an upgraded hy35  replacement). 

Left is a stock downpipe.  Notice the two bolt flange (which you know when you put the 4" on). This is an older style downpipe that had a 3" v-band on the outlet vs the 5-bolt elbow.  Right is an hx40 downpipe.  Has a true 4" v-band connection directly to the outlet of the turbo.

1739250082_1112dp_04a_plus_exhaust_installdown_pipe_comparision.jpg.7104a756aac49971a9a4510a0a7e697a.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trreed said:

Based on the modifications you listed out as potential upgrades, you'll be in the 450 hp range, which will (and this is an assumption) overwhelm the PDR turbo, because I'm fairly certain it is just a HX35/40 hybrid.

Given that the injectors I specified and my stock horsepower of 215, how are you calculating my horsepower?

I believe the previous owner had some kind of tuner on this truck based on some mods he left on....thermocouple in exhaust manifold, Hobbs switch on the fuel filter housing, billet converter, etc.  Don’t really know what injectors are in the truck now.  VP has been replaced at some point.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fairly happy with my set up I have, and i tow some crazy stuff. My advice would be Injectors and a programmer to start. The HX will handle more abuse then you will throw at it with that tractor. I would start saving up for transmission upgrades. I would look to see what kind of flex plate this truck has, and then consider pulling the transmission and doing some looking to see what kind of parts you have inside.

If your planning on towing often consider an engine brake, and with that your decision on what route to take. Pacbrake makes a great turbo mounted brake that fits onto the back of the HX. But one can also get an inline brake as well.

While I do agree with the superiority of the Quad, I'm still playing with this smarty and injector pop pressure to see how I can get it to run better. I have no complaints with my setup however.

I believe you will be fine with that turbo for the time being. I'm still running my HX-35 with 100 HP injectors. Although it is now old school I am running an older S03 smarty programmer. But I advise that you put a programmer on the truck if your going to go much over 40hp.

FYI I dynoed a few years ago 330HP/770TQ.

• Like 1