• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Building the 47RE

So, I've been doing bolt-ons to the motor (62mm turbo, 125 hp injectors, S&B intake, BD intake elbow, 5-inch straight pipe exhaust, and V2 tuning). I have yet to touch the transmission besides regular maintenance. Every time I step on it, I get a little nervous that I'm going to break something. The 47RE definitely doesn't like the new upgrades.... it slips quite a bit when WOT. The guy I bought it off of said it was rebuilt 30k miles ago. I dropped the pan last week and the fluid is super clean and the filter doesn't have any crazy amount of metal shavings. Before I go through this newer rebuild I want to beef it up. From research, I was thinking a triple disc torque converter and a valve body and maybe a billet input shaft and a billet flex plate. I don't have much knowledge and I'm wanting to know what you guys think and what parts I should go with. The truck doesn't tow too much and if it does, it's no more than 3,000 lbs which is my flats boat. I'm wanting to play it safe but not trying to break the bank.....

Yeah, you'll want a good valve body and converter for sure, and a billet input shaft would be a good idea as well. The stock input shaft will hang in there (with good VB calibrations) to about 400-425 hp. I'd lean toward a billet shaft where you're at. I would also make sure you have a billet accumulator piston, reinforced band strut, and at least a billet intermediate servo cover (if not a full billet servo). A billet Low/Reverse piston would be a nice add as well, but you'll have to pull the OD to change that. There are also some internal setup changes I would recommend (better clutches, band, increased clutch count, etc.), but again, you'll have to go all the way in there to make any changes there.

With a 62mm turbo in a 2nd Gen, you'll want a stock stall speed converter. I absolutely would NOT let anyone talk you into a low stall or you'll have a smoky pig off of the bottom. I've got a 2nd Gen in the shop now that I'm working with Dynomite Diesel on that we had to build in a super hurry due to a completely unexpected broken stock input shaft. (It is the tow rig for a pretty serious pulling truck, and they needed to get to a big event.) I only had 2 days to get the build done, and the only converter we could get our hands on in that time frame was a low stall billet triple. It's a great converter, and I use them all the time, but with the compounds that this truck has on it (62mm small turbo), it is an absolute pig out of the hole. We have a stock stall from DPC on its way as I type this...

• Like 2