• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

02 3500 hard to start

Tedsloan

I read some post here and I put a momentary on switch on my intake heater element. For some reason my truck isn't starting as fast as it used to. Not really sure where to begin to fix the problem. I have a 2002 3500 with 346000 miles. Nothing aftermarket other than a cold air intake and went to a 4 inch exhaust. Thanks for your feedback. 

Last time I checked fuel pressure it was around 12 psi while cranking. Not sure if I'm losing prime or not. No hill to park to nose it down. Seems to be an electrical problem but I'm no tech. Runs great once its started. 

Last time I checked fuel pressure it was around 12 psi while cranking. Not sure if I'm losing prime or not. No hill to park to nose it down. Seems to be an electrical problem but I'm no tech. Runs great once its started. 

New starter. That was the first thing I replaced when the problem started. 

New starter. Replaced it not long after the problem started. Spins over much faster than the old one. But didn't solve the issue. I'll check for a leak in return line. Thanks

The return, while still a bit tough to work with due to locatio, is the easiest to check in my opinion. But all the items @Mopar1973Man mentions can be culprits also. 

My return tee sprung a leak many years back and it is not a leak you really see unless you go looking for it. Mine was weeping fuel and not really leaving evidence on the ground. There is also a banjo bolt on the back of the for return fuel that you cannot see. The sealing washer rubber gets very hard with time

On 8/30/2018 at 6:43 PM, Tedsloan said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll most definitely check it out this weekend. 

Update I finally saw a bit of a leak on the compression fitting on #6 fuel line. Seems to be starting up like it used to after I took it loose and attached it back. I'm gonna see how it does for a few days. Thanks for the help.