• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Cummins has HickUps Engine Quits then Runs (P1689 code solved)

• Owner

All I use is just plain old engine oil. Still got my factory OEM cables and terminal and never had corrosion issues. I'll never use grease way too messy and attracts too much dirt. Engine oil you can rinse off with power washer but the oil film will continue to protect the terminals. Grease you.'ll end up on your arms and clothing.

Hi All,

Well the Battery Terminals were Gross.  So I bought Larry B's Military Battery terminals and used an Industrial contact improvement grease between the Battery terminals and the Battery posts.  cleaned and greased the Metal connectors and should be good to go.  Hopefully this will address the intermittent cut in and out.

Thanks All

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, int3man said:

Hi All,

Well the Battery Terminals were Gross.  So I bought Larry B's Military Battery terminals and used an Industrial contact improvement grease between the Battery terminals and the Battery posts.  cleaned and greased the Metal connectors and should be good to go.  Hopefully this will address the intermittent cut in and out.

Thanks All

Michael

O.K.  Edge removed.  Battery terminals and connecting wires cleaned and greased.  Truck just hiccupped again this morning.  Ran strong yesterday for a 30 min run.

Codes are :

Oil pressure gauge.  Aux gauge installed.

P1693  ECM ?  I think that this is Battery disconnect related?

P1765  Sorting that out now.  Previous owner had jumped it.  Getting relay.

P0622  Well this is enlightening, intermittent shut down of a perfectly running engine  HMMM..  It looks like a new alternator, but I'll bet it's a rebuilt !!!

Tried to Smog it but the batteries had been disconnected so I have to drive it before he will / can smog it.

Need a data logger.  What would cause a Blip in Engine run signals?

Thanks

Michael

Edited by int3man

1 hour ago, dripley said:

1693 has nothing to do with ECM. It is just telling there is a code in the other computer. PCM/ECM.

I cant find a 627 listed.

I found this on the internet.

https://www.autocodes.com/p0627_dodge.html

My Smog guy say that he can not test with a monitor showing.  I think that is a fuel monitor showing and that is what he was saying.

It was really Bucking and Snorting today.  I need to get this thing Smoged an in my name before it quits running, and I have to sink anymore monies into it! !!  

Well my typo I can't read my own hand writing.  It was a P0622 and that is Field windings my friends!

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0622

Interest can cause intermittent shutdown of the engine!!!!!

Edited by int3man

I dont think that link has anything to do with our 2nd gens. If a Fass was installed it should have used the factory connection to trigger the fuel system. 9 years with an AD in mine and never a code like most others here.

If you look here in the articles section under 24V 2nd gen, engine, OBD II error codes there is a full list. Are sure about of the code #?

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

I dont think that link has anything to do with our 2nd gens. If a Fass was installed it should have used the factory connection to trigger the fuel system. 9 years with an AD in mine and never a code like most others here.

If you look here in the articles section under 24V 2nd gen, engine, OBD II error codes there is a full list. Are sure about of the code #?

Nope you are correct.  It was an P0622  my fat fingers.  Sorry, i couldn't read my own hand writing.   

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0622

One of the symptoms is intermittent engine shut down.  May be on to something here!!  Now to find the alternator receipt!!

5 hours ago, dripley said:

nHere it is from the articles section.

This would be more vehicle specific for your truck.

Thanks, I found the receipt and taking to alternator back tomorrow to swap for a "New rebuilt" replacement.  Gona try to swap it out without disconnecting the batteries!  I need to get this pig to market and smogged.

Edited by int3man

Well I just can't catch a break.  So they (O'Rielly) exchanged the alternator that was manufactured in Malaysia with a Bosch ALT rebuilt in Mexico.  Installed and drove, no code thrown.  Truck quit twice on the way to lunch.  No code.  So next thing is to trace all the Scotch locks that I can find and eliminate them.  This Previous owner loved them from what I can tell.  

Also in my panel pulling I fond an Eliminator box?  Reading up on it, it interrupts the Truck Brains so that you are unlimited on speed.  Interesting application on a truck that he purchased used tires for (and he kept the receipts). 

So much for common sense.

Michael

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Is it cutting out while the engine is under load? Medium to heavy throttle?

It cuts out everywhere, no rhyme or reason.  Today I stopped and was letting the turbo cool down and it died.   Pulling up to a stop sign and it died.  When I had the edge connected I always looked at the fuel pressure and it was 17 to 18 PSI feeding the VP44.  It's like it just lost the run signal, and that was in traffic.  The fact that the oil Pressure gauge is intermittent, and the Map Sensor shares that 5 volt signal makes me wonder if that is not the root cause.  I have to get it pass smog and into my name before I go much deeper.  While I was putting the stock Air horn on and Heater I cleaned and replaced the battery terminals.  Well that caused me to reset the computer and it wouldn't pass smog because it was in monitor mode.  I have to drive it for a couple of days to clear the computer.

I can't buy a break on this thing.

Michael

Edited by int3man

The fuel pressure was just a hunch. What is your fuel pressure at WOT? As far as disconnecting the batteries, that should have no affect on anything. Taking them loose does nothing to the computer, nothing. I have never heard of monitor mode. I have disconnected mine many many times and have not noticed anything any different from prior to taking them loose. Is it setting some kind code after you disconnect them. I have heard over the years of folks doing this to reset the computer but to my knowledge it does nothing. So what are you or the smog people seeing that is the problem?

It's just a Smog thing.  The ODBEC sets a code when the batteries have been disconnected.  For example your check engine light is on and you can't get it to go off.  You have to smog the car.  Disconnect the batteries overnight and the check engine light goes out and you go to smog that morning.  That afternoon the check engine ight comes back on.  So if the batteries are disconnected it sets a monitor code. The car or truck has to be operated for 100- 200 miles, as trips to reset the monitor.  They do this to avid cheating.

That is my understanding.  We ran into this with my son's car when he bought it.  It had a dead battery and we put a battery in it and went to smog.  No good.  The guy had us put 75 miles on the car and then it smoged! 

Edited by int3man

HI All,

Fell and banged my knee getting of the stepstool to work on the engine (like a friend said 20 years ago it wouldn't have mattered, three days later still limping!), so I had time on my hands.  So I ran an internet search this weekend.   

I found over 75 postings on the internet of the same problem, but no firm replies, I did this and that fixed it.  So I found 3-4 that I think are the best options.  Clean ECM contacts, Clean VP44 contacts.  That makes sense as if you loose the fuel shut off signal, you loose engine function.  That's what is it like you momentarily loose fuel!!!  Last one was there is a 5 volt wire on the lower right hand side of the engine, that might rub on the AC line.  Oh Yea, the other one was check the engine compartment grounds.  I serviced the Battery terminals, but not the other ends!!!!

Get home this weekend.

Michael

Edited by int3man

• Staff
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, int3man said:

So if the batteries are disconnected it sets a monitor code. The car or truck has to be operated for 100- 200 miles, as trips to reset the monitor.  They do this to avid cheating

I've reset my monitors by driving on the freeway at 65mph for 5mi one way and then back home, stop and let engine cool.  Do this three times and by the end of the third time the monitors are reset.

Well I don't know whom I pissed off in this deal but it must have been someone important.  So got home yesterday, drove the truck to put another heat cycle on it and clear the monitors.  No Problem.  Get up this morning to heat her up and go to the smog station.  She dies in the driveway.  Restart and she throws the check engine light.  So No Smog this weekend.  But she thru a code that said failure to communicate with VP44.  So I'm disconnecting the batteries and pulling off the air horn and AAPS and inspecting and cleaning the plug to the VP44.  One thing at a time.  Hopefully this will  put it to bed.