• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CR Injector failures and upset owners

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I know of now 3 common rail owners getting upset and either wanting to sell there truck or just park it and let it rot. All 3 owners of injector failures of one type or another. When they find out the price of injectors they are not willing to pay the price to replace them. Sad to say I'm finding more and more 3rd Gen being parked or sold out here because the cost of injectors just isn't worth it. Like I talked to one gent locally yesterday I warned him a year ago about the grid heater light being on is a warning for excessive fuel return from failing injectors. His truck barely made it back to town and parked it for now. Day before I talked to another gent with common rail with over 300k miles on the injectors and wonders why it running funny. Top it off his transmission is also fried need rebuilt. Got another one south of me I've been trying to get him to replace his injectors before damage occurs but he continues to drive the truck even though it's getting harder to start and the smoke quantity is increasing. 

I know a majority of these owners are looking back now towards the older generation like 1st and 2nd generation trucks. They still want a good diesel but don't want the high cost of injectors. 

• Staff

I think it's a sad thing when a world famous engine becomes so molested by EPA causing it to cost more than its worth. An eco friendly truck is one you can keep on the road.

Amount of money flow thru the economy is directly correlated to the amount of waste and air/ water pollution. So every cost incurred by EPA drives up the very thing they try controlling.

This discussion also reveals why Kelly Blue Book had to raise prices on 2nd Gens two times.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Hate to post this being not in 2nd gen forum but...

When wife and I were full timing in our RV couldn't tell you the amount of times at a campground someone would stop by and tell us how sorry they were they traded in their 1st or 2nd gen and now not happy.  Not so much with people with low miles but people over 150,000 or so.  Then usually they go on talking about how good it rides or how much more comfortable etc.  Some are mega dollar new trucks.  

• Like 1

• Owner

What bad is most of these people I'm talking about I have told them numerous times that injectors are 100k to 150k mile item that needs to be replaced. Then they typically get this blank look like I didn't know that. Then when you show them prices on CR injectors vs 24V injectors then they get pissed off and ask "Why are my injectors so much more?" Then you go on to explain about CR injectors and how they work and then the light pops on. But now its just too late. I'm sure two of these trucks are now parked and either to rot or to be sold cheap.

Guest 04Mach1

Yup I've rebuilt a few CR 5.9 and 6.7 engines because of injectors failing mechanically. Ive also rebuilt a 6.7 Powerstroke and a LML Duramax from mechanically failing injectors. Broken rings caused by over fueling is what I have found most. Also fuel pools in the EGR cooler of EGR engines causing run aways if not caught in time.

Unfortunately CR injectors are maintenance items just like spark plugs in a gas engine and I recommend injector rebuild or replacement every 100k miles for the smaller CR diesel engines regardless of performance. My advice is if you notice fuel knock, ATD plugging rapidly (frequent regens needed), or heavier than normal smoke is to park the truck immediately till injectors are replaced. 

Maybe even check with injection shops that rebuild injectors. Central Motive Power in Albuquerque is who I use and haven't had a failure in any of the injectors they've rebuilt.

MVIMG_20180503_152203.jpg.acb3d6bb83764bd71890c795f7a365ae.jpg

This is a typical CR injector failure for any CR diesel engine if not repaired when the warning signs present themselves. I'd have to say the most common warning signs are smoke and fuel knock.

This 08 3500 6.7 I've been working on, got a new set of injectors last spring at 108k mile mark.  I will warn those that have CRs and are looking to buy injectors..  STICK WITH BOSCH OEM/REMAN buy REPUTABLE builders (I solely use Antrim Diesel in PA for all injector and pump repairs/replacements.)

$25-2800 for a set of injectors is outrageous, even from my perspective.  

Built a 5.9 CR for a guy's 05 2500, $6000 build and installation.  He bought Advance Auto replacement injectors after being suggested not to..  685 miles on the engine, and BOOF...  Injector failure wiped #2 piston and cylinder and valves..  AAP warrantied the faulty injector only.  $3500 more to the shop so we could fix his engine..  So in 3 weeks, a poor decision cost him a little better than $12K.

• Owner

Kind of like the 2005 Dodge 3500 I was supposed to finish out but end up with Moparmom's medical issues. That truck the owner had a bad injector(s) heard it knocking and continued to drive it home. Next morning it wouldn't start he had clearly wiped out at least 1 or 2 cylinders. Just barely crossed 112k on the clock original mileage POOF! Ate the engine for at least 5k worth of damage. Needed to cylinders sleeved then at that point might as well rebuild the entire engine. Then plus the injectors on top of the 5k. Ughh... Sad I had to have him tow it out of here being I'm taking care of MoparMom dialysis treatments. 

Guest 04Mach1
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Kind of like the 2005 Dodge 3500 I was supposed to finish out but end up with Moparmom's medical issues. That truck the owner had a bad injector(s) heard it knocking and continued to drive it home. Next morning it wouldn't start he had clearly wiped out at least 1 or 2 cylinders. Just barely crossed 112k on the clock original mileage POOF! Ate the engine for at least 5k worth of damage. Needed to cylinders sleeved then at that point might as well rebuild the entire engine. Then plus the injectors on top of the 5k. Ughh... Sad I had to have him tow it out of here being I'm taking care of MoparMom dialysis treatments. 

I say he'll need a complete rebuild with atleast a .030" oversized bore and pistons. If his crank looks like the others I've built the mains will have to be cut .010" with new rod and main bearings, then rebuild the cylinder head. If he has a shop do the work for him he's looking at $8,000-$10,000 out the door with a 6 pack of injectors and that's assuming cam, tappets, oil pump, push rods, and connecting rods are in good shape and re-usable.

An easy way to test if rings are broken is to remove both valve rockers from the cylinder you're testing and then use a rubber tipped blow gun that will seal against the injector seat in the head so compressed shop air can be used to pressurize the cylinder. If the cylinder doesn't hold pressure there is either a bad valve which can be heard with air escaping through the manifolds or broken rings which will be heard by air escaping into the crank case.

It's funny how injectors like the one below will rarely cause engine damage when they go. I kinda wish cam actuated electronic injectors would make a come back.

IMG_20180831_101929.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Consider yourself lucky. Filter changes help but fuel quality went to crap in 07 with the introduction of ULSD. I'm not sure if adding additives to increase lubricity would prolong the life of a CR injector. Most CR junk I work on still has DPF and SCR and most lubricity additives would plug the DPF.

• 3 weeks later...

Since were on the topic dealerships are stocking/selling "6-packs" on injectors. They range from 2100 to 2400 plus tax and obviously a core charge. OEM reman etc etc. They wind up coming from Fred Jones which used to be Tracy years ago and beyond that I'm not sure if they build them or if someone does it for them and they just stock them or what.

For now they're only available for 2003 to 2012 trucks.

Edited by 2000Ram2500
years

Guest 04Mach1

Well a common rail Ford owner learned today he needs buy a Dodge. He brought in his 6.4 International powered F250 with a CEL. We ran diagnostics and found low rail pressure and cylinder imbalance faults. We started disassembly and found lots of metal shavings within the fuel system. Quoted 8 injectors and a HPFP. After removing turbos we found both turbos have excessive shaft play and oil in compressor housings and in the CAC so 2 new turbos are needed.

Total for new fuel system and 2 new turbos is.... $10,218.xx.  If you ask me it's more than the fully loaded 4x4 crew cab short box 2008 F250 6 speed manual with 102,000 miles is worth.

Today's lesson kids is DON'T BUY A FORD THAT HAS A POWERSTROKE ENGINE!!! 7.3 excluded.

• Owner
59 minutes ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

Since were on the topic dealerships are stocking/selling "6-packs" on injectors. They range from 2100 to 2400 plus tax and obviously a core charge. OEM reman etc etc.

That's the problem those injectors are poorly remanufactured and typically have a shorter lifespan. It's only best to buy NEW injectors if possible. 

• Staff
On 9/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, 04Mach1 said:

Consider yourself lucky. Filter changes help but fuel quality went to crap in 07 with the introduction of ULSD. I'm not sure if adding additives to increase lubricity would prolong the life of a CR injector. Most CR junk I work on still has DPF and SCR and most lubricity additives would plug the DPF.

What a sad state of affairs. A shame to do that to what was once a great bit of engineering.

Edited by JAG1

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That's the problem those injectors are poorly remanufactured and typically have a shorter lifespan. It's only best to buy NEW injectors if possible. 

I guess we'll see. I have seen once only now that one out of the set will be bad within a month of install but they havent had these out for very long to see if theres a bunch of issues with them or not. I would hope they arent cheaping out on them they're putting Cummins and Mopar on the labels as if they're good high quality. Like i said though Fred Jones is where they come from so its gonna come down to either where they get them or where they're getting there parts to reman these. It wouldnt surprise me to find out its cheap stuff going on there. I've seen a few times now factory mopar boxes with a giant "MADE IN CHINA" label on them like there not even hiding it with a small label on the part.

• Staff

It's very cool that you guys seeing these things first hand are able to share with us on this forum. Thankyou.

04Mach1, did you determine the source of the metal fragments or shavings in the fuel system?

Also do you know who built the turbos?

Edited by JAG1