• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CR Injector failures and upset owners

Mopar1973Man

• Staff
Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got to ask @AH64ID. Could you recheck the 24V stock filter again for rating supposedly they dropped to 7um filter now for the 98.5 to 02 trucks? 

The 98.5-99's use a different filter, which is the FS19598, which is still a 10µ filter. 

The 00-02's use the same canister style as the 03-07 5.9's, but have different filters. The FS19855 is the 10µ 2nd gen filter, and the FS19856 is the 3rd gen 7µ filter. Both have the same flow ratings, but the FS19855 will hold a little more dirt, likely due to slighlty less media. 

I haven't seen anything on upgrading the 2nd gen specs, and honestly it's been so long I doubt that would happen. Nothing built in 02 is under the OE warranty and hasn't been for years. The change from 10µ (FS19800E) on 3rd gens to 7µ was warrant driven, despite Bosch recommending a 5µ filter. By the time the 6.7 rolled out Dodge was doing better, but it took until 2010ish to get great OEM filtration. 2013+ OEM filtration is fantastic. 

What I have heard of is parts houses only stocking and selling the 3rd gen filter for 00-07 trucks, as the filter is backwards compatible to 00. 

For 00-07 the Baldwin PF7977 is still the best drop-in filter at 5µ. 

• Owner
8 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I haven't seen anything on upgrading the 2nd gen specs, and honestly it's been so long I doubt that would happen.

According to the Napa in Ontario, OR the Napa filter (Wix) is now a 7um filter. That's why I'm asking for an update on the filter data. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
46 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

According to the Napa in Ontario, OR the Napa filter (Wix) is now a 7um filter. That's why I'm asking for an update on the filter data. 

According to the WIX website it's not, but you are getting their shister marketing first hand. They call it a 7µ nominal filter, but nominal doesn't have a set beta rating. 

The filter has always been marketed at 7µ nominal, but it's a 8µ absolute filter. Minimum spec is 7µ absolute. 

image.png.dc29aec7fbb270bb55b0472529b8d1a8.png

Edited by AH64ID
  • Thanks 1

Guest 04Mach1
9 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I’m curious why. Their Blue oil filters are unmatched in this, and many, applications and their fuel filters are similar. 

That being said, that’s their Blue line and not their standard stuff. I prefer others over Donaldson standard stuff. 

Last I looked Donaldson doesn’t even have a air filter for CR’s. 

When I called and asked Wix about their specs they told me it was close enough, and a micron is really small. I laughed at the dude and hung up. 

Wix often uses a nominal rating to cross to an absolute rating. Absolute is what’s important. 

That’s the case with their fuel filters. They have some good oil and applications thou. 

I've seen many instances where Fleetgaurd and Baldwin filters were repainted in the Donaldson colors and got Donaldson part numbers. Accidentally taking paint of the filter with tools is what made me notice this. I'll have to take a picture next time I find a filter that Donaldson rebranded and marketed as their own. I have found the price point on Baldwin and Fleetgaurd is pretty good, I can get my LF16035 oil filter for about $5.00 most of the time through my contacts. I've never really researched Donaldson pricing but if they are rebranding competitors filters I would just rather get the competitors filter.

• Staff
1 hour ago, 04Mach1 said:

I've seen many instances where Fleetgaurd and Baldwin filters were repainted in the Donaldson colors and got Donaldson part numbers. Accidentally taking paint of the filter with tools is what made me notice this. I'll have to take a picture next time I find a filter that Donaldson rebranded and marketed as their own. I have found the price point on Baldwin and Fleetgaurd is pretty good, I can get my LF16035 oil filter for about $5.00 most of the time through my contacts. I've never really researched Donaldson pricing but if they are rebranding competitors filters I would just rather get the competitors filter.

Interesting. I’ve never seen that with any of the places I buy filters, but it could be the filters I buy.. i.e. DBL's

There are multiple filter companies that sell filters to one-another, but usually only in the basic filter lines and not the top of the line media. 

I have seen certain online retailers sell Wix filters with stickers on them for other crosses. 

I know that the Fleetuguard, Baldwin, and Donaldson filters I’ve bought are all different in terms of flow holes and materiel appearance. 

The media used by Donaldson on their BDL line is rated quite differently than Baldwin and Fleetguard stuff. 

Edited by AH64ID

Guest 04Mach1
1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

Interesting. I’ve never seen that with any of the places I buy filters, but it could be the filters I buy.. i.e. DBL's

There are multiple filter companies that sell filters to one-another, but usually only in the basic filter lines and not the top of the line media. 

I have seen certain online retailers sell Wix filters with stickers on them for other crosses. 

I know that the Fleetuguard, Baldwin, and Donaldson filters I’ve bought are all different in terms of flow holes and materiel appearance. 

The media used by Donaldson on their BDL line is rated quite differently than Baldwin and Fleetguard stuff. 

Main filters I've seen rebranded was P550949 which some paint scraping will reveal Fleetgaurd LF14000NN under the Donaldson paint. Then the P552200; which revealed Fleetgaurd FF2200 under the Donaldson paint. Then P555686 found Fleetgaurd FF5686 under the Donaldson paint. Come to think of it I have only seen Donaldson rebrand the filters mainly used on the big red Cummins ISX engines. One time when working on a N14 I saw a P553000 that had a spec of bright red paint showing through, sure enough a light scraping and the Baldwin logo and part number of BD103 was revealed.

The only reason I remember these is Donaldson was trying to set our shop up with Donaldson filters and while we did stock some we recorded odd ball stuff with Donaldson filters until we ultimately decided to make Luber Finer our primarily stocked filter brand. We never really saw any filtration issues with Donaldson but we found the rebranding odd.

Edited by 04Mach1

On 10/17/2018 at 6:25 AM, AH64ID said:

2013+ OEM filtration is fantastic. 

To this day the 2013+ Rams are the only ones to come with 2 seperate filtration setups. The Ecodiesel grand cherokees have 2 filters but there 2 small canister filters in a shared housing and the ecodiesel half tons have a single filter about the size of the grand cherokee ones stacked together.

Whats ironic is the people that come in and complain about the expensive fuel filters and decline the work are the ones that come back months later with problems and warranty doesnt cover neglect so they get to pay even more for diag, filters, and a cleaning additive. Unless there was other problems which there usually is in those situations and then they get to pay even more.

• 2 months later...

My experiences with cr’s  

First hard start followed by rough idle injector/s are shot.  

Get all replaced $$$$$.  

Dont let symptoms persist. 

Injector prices were main reason I 

didn’t look 3rd gens when looking for a new truck 

Edited by Ben