• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Second Gen - Trans bogging down when cold

My 2001 Dodge Dually runs flawlessly but when I start it cold (40-60 degrees f) the transmission bogs the engine down. In some cases the engine stalls, other times the engine runs but cannot move the truck.  Any ideas where to start? Should our engines idle for 3-5 minutes first? Thanks

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If he's not starting in first there should be error codes. Then you should be able to manual select first and get first.

I've started in second without throwing codes. Even so the manual selector doesn't put you in real first.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 24 valves are notorious for killing the engine when dead cold, and with too tight of a converter, typically after some sort of build with a poorly built converter or one with too low of a stall speed (very common). When you put the transmission in gear (any gear; 1st, reverse, 2nd, 3rd, 4th...), and the converter is full of cold, thick fluid, it will pull the idle speed down faster than the pump can fuel the engine to bring it back up. Once the fluid warms up a bit, this symptom typically goes away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/4/2018 at 2:29 PM, 24Vrick said:

My 2001 Dodge Dually runs flawlessly but when I start it cold (40-60 degrees f) the transmission bogs the engine down. In some cases the engine stalls, other times the engine runs but cannot move the truck.  Any ideas where to start? Should our engines idle for 3-5 minutes first? Thanks

Just for testing reasons, make sure you idle the truck in neutral for 30-45 seconds before going into gear and see if that fixes that non movement issue. My converter drains and when I let it sit for a few days or a week I've had both stalling and that non movement, but that was because the converter wasn't full.

Also I worked on a dodge that had stalling issues into the 30-40s and it was because his IAT sensor was failing, and reading wrong against the ECT sensor.

Edited by pepsi71ocean

Thanks to everyone for your comments. The previous owner said something about a transmission upgrade. It makes sense that it might be a low stall converter. The other suggestions make sense and I will check them as well. I’m happy the truck runs well overall. 18mpg empty and 8-10mpg towing. Not bad for a one ton dually.