• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV273D to NV271F (hybrid) swap in MY08 3500

Rogan

So, I finished the transfer case swap in my friend's 08 3500 MC this past weekend.  Basically, the reason for it was I replaced the chain, gears, seals and bearings in it a year or so ago, due to what we thought was slippage of the chain.  Problem disappeared for about 3 months, then returned.  Only this time, it came back with a vengeance.  What was actually occurring was the electronic shift motor was attempting to engage 4WD at whenever it felt like it.  Last time, it was at about 70mph when it tried to switch to 4WD, all but grenading the tcase into dust.  

So I Got my hands on a really good priced NV271F (Yes, Ford).  Ripped it apart, freshened the bearings, seals and chains, etc, then started determining what I needed to change for it to work in the Dodge G56/5600.  

• Dodge mainshaft is longer in the nose than the Ford. 
  • Input stub shaft (that sits in the planetary gearset) needs swapped (dodge one has a longer nose and a deeper bearing race.). 
  • Rear output shaft housing needs swapped; Dodge uses slip-yoke, Ford uses flanged rear output.
  • Front shaft output flange needs swapped to the Dodge one; the Ford one bolts to the front driveshaft the opposite direction, so it won't work.
  • Aside from that, you could swap the shift fork carrier, but I didn't as the Dodge one was destroyed, so I went with the Ford selector shaft.

The Swap works great, But there's a couple of oversights..  I used a Dodge 2004 1500 tcase shifter (it's same as all 3G trucks) and 2004 shifter boot; the boot fits perfect and is same as 2007; just pop the pocket out of the console and the boot snaps right into place.  HOWEVER, the Ford's shift (top to bottom) is 2H-4H-N-4L.   Dodge is 4H-2H-N-4L.  So the pattern on the knob is wrong, and I can't find anything else to show the proper pattern.  If I owned a 3D printer, I'd make one, but I dont.  The Ford knob is a slip-on splined knob, where Dodge is a thread-on.

I also need to figure out the shifter motor wiring for the 2008.  It's an 8-pin plug, but uses 5 pins.  The Ford uses a standard 2-pin 4WD switch.  Current issue is that "SERV 4WD" is illuminated on the dash, and the 4WD light does 'not' work (for obvious reasons).   I think they are controlled by the PCM/ECM, so with the motor no longer present, I have to see if I can find out/figure out how to 'fool' it.

Thanks!

Rogan

Edited by Rogan