• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Seatbelt bypass

I put in a seatbelt that goes in the seat itself and does not have the electrical connections on the recoil mechanism.  Instead this one relays on the buckle holder to close the circuit(red and black wires coming out.  Anyway, I always wear my seatbelt but since the truck thinks the circuit is open, I have a seatbelt light on the dash.  After reviewing the wiring diagram, it looks like I can just connect the orange/red to the black/green to bypass the in seat module. Or connect the orange/black to the new red and the black to the black/green.  Any thoughts on this? 

20180911_172200.jpg

Edited by SavageTusk
Pic

If I'm understanding you correctly, me personally I would try to route those wires over to the buckle and make it work the way its supposed to. You'll definitely want that circuit closed though, because I believe the airbag won't deploy unless that circuit is closed but I may be wrong.

Off topic but not really you could do what a cousin of mine did and wire a kill switch into your seat belt circuit. The logic behind it is if someone is stealing your truck they probably won't be putting a seat belt on right away and think the truck wont start and walk away from it. But that would be a nightmare in colder weather or hot summers when you want the truck to warm up...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

I just tried putting a jumper wire between the black/green wire and the orange/black wire on my 99 Cummins Laramie SLT and it locked my driver's side seatbelt up and it wouldn't come out at all. The seat belt light stayed on on the dash still too.

I cut the jumper wire and then the seat belt would come out like normal again.

I even tried the pull the seat belt all the way out and then push it into the seat belt buckle, and that didn't make my seat belt light go out.

My seat belt retractor has 3 wires on the driver's power seat;

Black/Green

Orange/Black

Green/Red

I haven't checked the Green/Red wire yet for 3V reference yet, but I already changed out my clock spring a while back with a OEM Mopar one, and I don't have any air bag light or code issues.

Did I jumper the correct two wires or do I need to jumper them differently?