• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another dead VP44

Guest 04Mach1

Had a 99 2wd auto 3500 towed in today that wouldn't start. Hooked up the Snap-on scanner and found an inactive fault P0252 which on the scanner said "Injection pump valve stuck error". Cleared the fault and cranked the engine, it didn't start and again set a P0252 that immediately went inactive as soon as I quit cranking.

Talked to the owner who pulled out a Dodge dealer receipt dated 9/8/2017 showing VP44 replaced with a reman at a cost of $3200 and some change. He called the installing dealer and got told his one year warranty expired. So I get to install a brand spanking new , not reman VP44 on it tomorrow. Customer stated he didn't want remanufactured junk and is willing to pay for brand new. I'll be checking the LP pressure with engine running to see if the engine block mounted LP caused premature VP failure and recommending a permanent fuel pressure gauge to monitor.

IMG_20180911_162119.jpg

1 minute ago, dripley said:

I did'nt know you could still by a new one. Thought they were all remans.

Central Motive Power in Albuquerque guaranteed my parts guy we would get a brand new VP44 tomorrow. I didn't think brand new was available anymore also so I grilled my parts guy making sure. We'll see what comes in the box tomorrow. We don't even know a price yet.

Wow that makes me feel a little better considering I have that much in new head gasket, turbo, head work, and Manton stuff I just got. Glad I learned how to fix my own long time ago. Poor guy, I'm sure dealer didn't even bother to tell him about pressure problems associated with factory junk lift pumps. Brain dead zombies work at these places or they have no sole. 

• Like 1

crack the board open and see if the transistor is toast, if it is send to me and ill replace it free, send back to you and see if it works again.   im thinking if the solenoid gets worn and stuck, the draw on the transistor could also burn it out...

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR

21 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Poor guy, I'm sure dealer didn't even bother to tell him about pressure problems associated with factory junk lift pumps. Brain dead zombies work at these places or they have no sole. 

hey man i work at a dealer......

but your right. we get alot of real "winners" in the service dept.. half the problem is the techs dont wanna look into anything because they only get paid per job. Service writers dont usually know any better and just wanna sell the job. The factory barely gives us enough information to do our jobs in parts where i work and the service side is worse. And they scatter information all over the place. You cant search for anything because it pulls up mostly irrelevant junk or the diagnostic tree/flow chart. Not really any supplemental information available to us. I'm glad im on the parts side of things lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

hey man i work at a dealer......

but your right. we get alot of real "winners" in the service dept.. half the problem is the techs dont wanna look into anything because they only get paid per job. Service writers dont usually know any better and just wanna sell the job. The factory barely gives us enough information to do our jobs in parts where i work and the service side is worse. And they scatter information all over the place. You cant search for anything because it pulls up mostly irrelevant junk or the diagnostic tree/flow chart. Not really any supplemental information available to us. I'm glad im on the parts side of things lol

Dont take it personal please. A lot of us have had some bad experiences with the dealers. The biggest one I had was the in tank retrofit I got when my OE lift pump died. When the OE VP died I had a tech that talked to me about it alot and answered my question as much as he could. Seems fuel pressure  problems I had to learn away from the dealer. It seems if I can learn about these things on the internet that the dealer could learn some also. Of course that means they dont sell the job since they dont do after market. Your insite is welcome here.

• Like 1

Well I don't know if it was a NOS VP44 or if it was a recent manufactured since date was found on it but the pump was brand new.

Sticker shock time....The shops cost on it was $2400. I got him back on the road $3300 lighter but happy. I also installed a new stock LP and fuel filter with that price.

Plus it turns out he lives in Gallup so he is going to buy a FP guage, at least 100 GPH Fass LP, big line kit, draw straw, and bring the truck back for me to install on the side. He is also going to start running 2 stroke oil in the fuel.

17 hours ago, dripley said:

Dont take it personal please. A lot of us have had some bad experiences with the dealers. The biggest one I had was the in tank retrofit I got when my OE lift pump died. When the OE VP died I had a tech that talked to me about it alot and answered my question as much as he could. Seems fuel pressure  problems I had to learn away from the dealer. It seems if I can learn about these things on the internet that the dealer could learn some also. Of course that means they dont sell the job since they dont do after market. Your insite is welcome here.

I dont take hardly anything personally anymore thats what spending the last 6 yrs in a dealer where everyones got jokes will do to you. Every dealer is different and honestly the worst shop experiences I've ever had are from my own place of work. I had an old BMW with an aluminum pan and they ran the oil drain plug in with a damn impact gun. Needless to say it stripped the pan out and then they wanted me to find a new pan... I told them they'd better get that oil pan rethread kit out and fix it up since they're the ones that broke it not me. I've waited literally 3 days to get my oil changed before. They think just because i work there it means i dont need anything done in a timely manner. And then I'll get my truck back and its covered in oily hand prints all over my door fenders hood.

Like i was saying though every dealer is different. The first dealer i worked at we did literally no aftermarket parts whatsoever. They turned down alot of business even when the customer supplied there own parts it was iffy. This dealer is the opposite. We do alot of aftermarket accessories. Aftermarket parts for older cars when its cheaper or the factory parts discontinued. Its really hit and miss. And even if you find a dealer thats decent and will work with factory and aftermarket and actually listen to what your asking the next time you go in you might get stuck with some guy that just wants to jerk you around.