• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New steering gear

2 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Which adjustment? No?

On top of the steering box there is an adjustment screw held in place with a jam nut. Loosen the and turn the adjusting screw clockwise. You could probably turn yours one full turn and then tighten the jam nut back down. There should not be any resistance when you tighten it. Then drive it and see if it improved. Just be aware if you tighten to much the steering wheel will not return on its own. If you experience that then you need to back it off some. You want hurt it. I believe that is the sector shaft adjustment. Mine is due for another tightening or maybe a new box.

If you look down from above you can see it quite well just off center of the steering box.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dripley said:

On top of the steering box there is an adjustment screw held in place with a jam nut. Loosen the and turn the adjusting screw clockwise. You could probably turn yours one full turn and then tighten the jam nut back down. There should not be any resistance when you tighten it. Then drive it and see if it improved. Just be aware if you tighten to much the steering wheel will not return on its own. If you experience that then you need to back it off some. You want hurt it. I believe that is the sector shaft adjustment. Mine is due for another tightening or maybe a new box.

If you look down from above you can see it quite well just off center of the steering box.

Tried this to no avail. 

8 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Tried this to no avail. 

Clockwise on allen head screw, if that didn't help your gearbox is completely junk which is hard to believe if it's not leaking oil everywhere. From what I've read they say you shouldn't really go pass  half a turn without adjusting something else I can't remember what it's called. If nothing changed after one turn I'd been looking elsewhere, like track bar.

22 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Clockwise on allen head screw, if that didn't help your gearbox is completely junk which is hard to believe if it's not leaking oil everywhere. From what I've read they say you shouldn't really go pass  half a turn without adjusting something else I can't remember what it's called. If nothing changed after one turn I'd been looking elsewhere, like track bar.

The other adjustment is un the TSB posted above. I have personally never made that adjustment. 1/4 turns never did much on mine.

6 minutes ago, dripley said:

The other adjustment is un the TSB posted above. I have personally never made that adjustment. 1/4 turns never did much on mine.

Yeah I just read through that TSB, not sure if I believe everything in there either. 

So looks like you actually have to go counter-clockwise with the spanner wrench 9mm why not 8 or 10, what's so special about 9. And why backwards, you think you'll want to tighten it not loosen it, unless it's backwards thread.

40 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

It’s lookingnlike I might as well buy a reman and go from they’re. 

Are your steering parts in good shape? Prior to changing my track bar I could sit in the truck and turn the wheel and watch my hood move back and forth, the track bar was shot.