Jump to content
  • Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

     

    Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...
     

    • Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Which adjustment? No?

On top of the steering box there is an adjustment screw held in place with a jam nut. Loosen the and turn the adjusting screw clockwise. You could probably turn yours one full turn and then tighten the jam nut back down. There should not be any resistance when you tighten it. Then drive it and see if it improved. Just be aware if you tighten to much the steering wheel will not return on its own. If you experience that then you need to back it off some. You want hurt it. I believe that is the sector shaft adjustment. Mine is due for another tightening or maybe a new box.

If you look down from above you can see it quite well just off center of the steering box.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dripley said:

On top of the steering box there is an adjustment screw held in place with a jam nut. Loosen the and turn the adjusting screw clockwise. You could probably turn yours one full turn and then tighten the jam nut back down. There should not be any resistance when you tighten it. Then drive it and see if it improved. Just be aware if you tighten to much the steering wheel will not return on its own. If you experience that then you need to back it off some. You want hurt it. I believe that is the sector shaft adjustment. Mine is due for another tightening or maybe a new box.

If you look down from above you can see it quite well just off center of the steering box.

Tried this to no avail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it bottomed out the wheel should not return on its own. I have probably turned mine a couple turns over the years. Might give her another twist this week end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Tried this to no avail. 

Clockwise on allen head screw, if that didn't help your gearbox is completely junk which is hard to believe if it's not leaking oil everywhere. From what I've read they say you shouldn't really go pass  half a turn without adjusting something else I can't remember what it's called. If nothing changed after one turn I'd been looking elsewhere, like track bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Clockwise on allen head screw, if that didn't help your gearbox is completely junk which is hard to believe if it's not leaking oil everywhere. From what I've read they say you shouldn't really go pass  half a turn without adjusting something else I can't remember what it's called. If nothing changed after one turn I'd been looking elsewhere, like track bar.

The other adjustment is un the TSB posted above. I have personally never made that adjustment. 1/4 turns never did much on mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dripley said:

The other adjustment is un the TSB posted above. I have personally never made that adjustment. 1/4 turns never did much on mine.

Yeah I just read through that TSB, not sure if I believe everything in there either. 

So looks like you actually have to go counter-clockwise with the spanner wrench 9mm why not 8 or 10, what's so special about 9. And why backwards, you think you'll want to tighten it not loosen it, unless it's backwards thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

It’s lookingnlike I might as well buy a reman and go from they’re. 

Are your steering parts in good shape? Prior to changing my track bar I could sit in the truck and turn the wheel and watch my hood move back and forth, the track bar was shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just lay under the truck and have someone saw the wheel  back and forth and look at all the joints. Look for ones that have slop in them. When may track bar went the front end of the truck moved back and forth before the wheels turned. Noticed while sitting in the drive way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To find the bad ones.  You have to have someone you trust on the wheel to move it.  (luckily I trust Helga!!!)  (the reason you want someone paying attention, they could crush your hand if not paying attention.)

 

I put my had completely around the tie rod (ball joint or whatever components you are testing) so my hand touches both the tie rod and the steering knuckle in this example.  While Helga is "sawing" ( that is a perfect description  drip!)  the steering wheel, I close my eyes and just feel the two parts in my hand.  I am trying to feel ANY motion that is NOT what it is supposed to be doing.  In tie rods, you will feel the tie rod move, and the steering knuckle not move for a second, then move.  or if the idler arm is bad, the tie rod will wiggle a bit, or twist  as it is trying to move the wheel.

 

When the parts are brand new and tightened properly, the entire unit moves as one piece.  As the parts begin to wear, they have differential movement. 

 

I do the same with ball joints and trac bar, but have friends jump up and down on the bumper or set up ladders so they can step onto or off of the bumper etc. 

 

HTH

 

Hag

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×