• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best Way to Dry Carpet INSIDE the Truck?

Just now, TheGreatWhite said:

I meant with the front seats and console, mine seem to be spot welded together. Did you use dry ice to get rid of the sound deadening material?

I can't remember now, I think one seat came out with center console and the other by it self. Had some pictures someplace but can't find them now

• Staff

My cab marker lites leaked a couple times before I figured it out. Water ran down inside the window /door pillar. It wasn't enough to soak the carpet though. I put small O rings on each screw head and that stopped it.

Another time I did soak my carpet while rinsing out the evaporator inside the HVAC plenum with the blower motor pulled. My water run out tarp shifted and got the carpet soaked. By removing the door threshold I lifted the carpet and pad and slide old towels underneath and kept squishing water into the towels. Next I slide 1x2's under the carpet pad to create air space, leaving those 1x2s in there it took three weeks to completely dry but it did dry.

I like Dieselfutures way about getting things done:thumb1:

Edited by JAG1

On 9/14/2018 at 9:33 AM, JAG1 said:

My cab marker lites leaked a couple times before I figured it out. Water ran down inside the window /door pillar. It wasn't enough to soak the carpet though. I put small O rings on each screw head and that stopped it.

If mine was doing it wouldnt the headliner show wet spots or anything?

It might...water seeks it's own level.  Finding and drying out sometimes not easy as it sounds. Trapped water in carpet padding or wherever takes time depending on how much.  Dehumidifier and a fan helps alot.  I have couple of these that I use in rv's and few other places.  I look up my humidity level at my local airport and compare to my gauge, after gauge has been in 4 hours or more.  When numbers get close (within 5) of each other, rv or car or whatever is as dry possible.   Wifes sunroof leaked and took quite a while to get dried out.  

https://www.amazon.com/Xikar-832XI-Round-Digital-Hygrometer/dp/B004167OY4/ref=asc_df_B004167OY4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061059251&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15982910390463949716&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9053013&hvtargid=pla-373712639447&psc=1

Humidity is interesting... right now my closet airport is 67% and inside my house is 51%. 

Edited by 015point9
Info

9 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

It might...water seeks it's own level.  Finding and drying out sometimes not easy as it sounds. Trapped water in carpet padding or wherever takes time depending on how much.  Dehumidifier and a fan helps alot.  I have couple of these that I use in rv's and few other places.  I look up my humidity level at my local airport and compare to my gauge, after gauge has been in 4 hours or more.  When numbers get close (within 5) of each other, rv or car or whatever is as dry possible.   Wifes sunroof leaked and took quite a while to get dried out.  

https://www.amazon.com/Xikar-832XI-Round-Digital-Hygrometer/dp/B004167OY4/ref=asc_df_B004167OY4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061059251&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15982910390463949716&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9053013&hvtargid=pla-373712639447&psc=1

Humidity is interesting... right now my closet airport is 67% and inside my house is 51%. 

As of now it's been drying for around 3 days, minus the 5 hours I was at school yesterday, and it has mostly dried out. Once it is I'll start hunting the problem. Starting to lean more towards the water getting pushed back in to the drain.

If hard to determine if leak or not you could get a piece of paper and put a drop of food coloring on it.  And see if coloring runs because it gets wet after some time.  Maybe 2 days

When messing with my cab, lots of ways for moisture to get in.  Including vents on sliding back window.  Air getting pushed around with fan and dehumidifier, you'll get it out, but takes more time than you would think.  Especially in insulation.  

Edited by 015point9

• Staff

In my case the cab lites didn't leak enough to show water in the headliner. The headliner made it all drain toward the pillar and only saw a water trail after raining.

My carpet got soaked from cleaning the evaporator thru where the blower motor was removed using a garden hose. A couple afternoons I had to use the wifes hair dryer to help it along. Took three weeks all toll.

Edited by JAG1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

In my case the cab lites didn't leak enough to show water in the headliner. The headliner made it all drain toward the pillar and only saw a water trail after raining.

My carpet got soaked from cleaning the evaporator thru where the blower motor was removed using a garden hose. A couple afternoons I had to use the wifes hair dryer to help it along. Took three weeks all toll.

I've gotten at least I'd have to guess 5 gallons out of mine so far. Haven't checked today's haul but I think I've almost got it all dry. Like I said I think its from the evaporator run off since the water was all the way up into that rubberish padding on the slope up to the firewall.

• Staff

Wow that is a lot. I hope you get it dry before it begins to mold. I think the carpet padding has a definite characteristic of not wanting to dry very fast. That's why I slide 1x2s under the padding to get some air under there. I guess it is possible to put a shop vac hose under there and let it run all night to keep the air moving. 

On my old first gen had a water problem, tore out all the carpet and pad. I used the heavy torch down rubber roofing for sound deadening and then bought the factory matt to go on top. It was nice having a work rig without carpet. I even drilled holes in the floor pans for drainage :wink:

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
27 minutes ago, dripley said:

We use membrane roofing that heat welds together and a torch down asphalt roofing. Not familiar with torch down rubber. Can you enlighten me?

Its the same same Dave. Calling it rubber torch down started years ago out here. I forget that it just simply called torch down membrane now.

52 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Its the same same Dave. Calling it rubber torch down started years ago out here. I forget that it just simply called torch down membrane now.

Figured it was the same thing. I have very little experience with rubber roofing. Only used it on couple buildings a long time ago.

Did it work for sound deadning? I take yu just layed on the floor pan or did you attach it?

8 minutes ago, dripley said:

Figured it was the same thing. I have very little experience with rubber roofing. Only used it on couple buildings a long time ago.

Did it work for sound deadning? I take yu just layed on the floor pan or did you attach it?

I heard the sound deadening material doesn't do much. Diesel Future said he took his out and it didnt make a difference. Might head down that road.

4 minutes ago, dripley said:

I have heard it both ways depending on what use. I am pulling my carpet one day to clean it and will put something in for sound deadning. We shall see.

I will probably end up pulling mine since its pretty matted on the passenger side. I will probably scrape the sound deadening stuff out since there seems to be rust forming around the edges, and I'd like to stop that asap.

• Like 1

• Staff

Sound must have been toned down a little I suppose. Can't really say for sure because I didn't drive it to hear it before I torched it down. Idea was to get some weight on the floor pans so it wouldn't act like a telegraph in a sense. It gave it some thickness before the factory matt.

One dealer wanted $279.00 and make a deposit. Other dealer wanted $179.00 just pay when it comes in. I liked those guys and always bought from them after that.