• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nv4500 fluid service

I know this has been discussed often on this forum. Pertaining to the oil that can be used and how many quarts. And forgive me if this is common knowledge. How do you actually go about the draining and refilling? It’s pretty caked up in 17 years of goo. Didn’t really know what to look for as far as drain plugs and where you pour the oil in. And if the recommended service interval is 50-60k. I’m only 260k overdo at this point. Let that math sink in lol

• Owner
36 minutes ago, Jake said:

Pertaining to the oil that can be used and how many quarts.

I'm using Mobil 50 SAE Transmission Fluid (1 Gallon)

36 minutes ago, Jake said:

How do you actually go about the draining and refilling?

Fill plug is on the passenger side takes a allen wrench.

Drain plug is the bottom PTO cover bolt.

37 minutes ago, Jake said:

t’s pretty caked up in 17 years of goo.

You'll need to pull the PTO covers and clean that out. 

Personally i stick with the mopar recommended fluid and buy from the dealership. Part# should be in the glove box or side of the trans on the pto cover. 

To drain remove the bottom PTO cover bolt and the passenger side. To fill, there is a Allen bolt located on that passenger side as well

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Mopar fluids are no longer produced. Kind of hard to buy something that is no longer produced. This why many of us are finding other solutions.

I didn’t realize they were no longer produced. I called my local dealership and picked up fluid just 3-4 months ago. Good thing I have a couple left over for atleast another change 

• Owner

Castrol Syntorq was discontinued quite awhile ago which is what is bottled in the Mopar bottles. Then there are some that follow name brands like AMSOil or Red line.

Just like the Texaco fluid for NV5600 was discontinued as well. Most have gone to PenzOil Syncromech fluid.

Just food for thought...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
On 9/15/2018 at 10:37 PM, Dieselfuture said:

I'd say you got your money worth out of it

And then some. My Grandfather purchased the truck in 2002 with 20k on the clock. Oil changed regularly...but that’s about it lol. Trans, diff, and coolant all untouched 

OEM oil is GL-4 75w-85. Widely available through e-commerce and pretty pricey per quart.

Just like @Mopar1973Man did I would go with a 50w straight grade gear oil because of availability at the local parts store and price point is a little better.