• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No DTC codes through Smarty, other issues

Hi, I thought I would post this on this forum because there seems to be a bunch of people here that are good with Cummins electronics. I have a couple issues. I have a smarty touch with the command module (essentially an MM3) on a new Diesel Power Sourse compound turbo setup. I can’t get the smarty to read DTC codes or the trans temp. Everything else seems to work ok. I sent the unit back to smarty and they were able to test it on a 2001 (mines a 1998.5) and it worked ok so they sent it back and said to check the OBD connector and wiring  (which looks good). My generic code reader also works on the OBDII but not the smarty. Anyone have any thoughts on this or know what could be causing it. I’m also not seeing any trans temps when I set the Smarty to read the on board trans sensor. I just get a red hourglass. I’m currently sorting out custom tunes I’ve received from Calibrated Power and that’s not going too well, either. Everything they’re sending me really rich (smokey) on any significant throttle application. Are these problems related, what should I be checking etc. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. When I sent it back to smarty, they tried it on a 2001 and it read the codes. They also mentioned that the smarty might not read the dtcs from the same pin?/wire as the code reader which I don’t think is possible. I’ve read vague post in other forums that I interpreted to mean that the 98-99 ECMs aren’t as solid/sorted as the later years. I was wondering if maybe I had an ECM issue. I suppose the next step would be to try a different smarty on my truck and see if it could read them. 

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:54 PM, the7t7 said:

Thanks for the reply. When I sent it back to smarty, they tried it on a 2001 and it read the codes. They also mentioned that the smarty might not read the dtcs from the same pin?/wire as the code reader which I don’t think is possible. I’ve read vague post in other forums that I interpreted to mean that the 98-99 ECMs aren’t as solid/sorted as the later years. I was wondering if maybe I had an ECM issue. I suppose the next step would be to try a different smarty on my truck and see if it could read them. 

I've got a Smarty on an 2001 in Central valley.  If you get this way you are welcome to try it!  I no longer have Oregon so I won't be getting your way.

Michael.

• 2 months later...

This issue is still un resolved I'm hoping to bump it for more comments. Here's an update:

So The tuner I am using for the smarty custom tunes wanted a High Speed data log. When I went to try that the smarty showed the same error (17143) as when I try to get DTC codes from it. I called smarty again and they said that error is related to the ECM communication to the PCM. I toned all the wires from the ECM to the PCM and from the OBDII port to the ECM an PCM. All the wires are good.I sent the smarty back again and they replaced the board for my piece of mind.  It still won't read the DTC codes or do a HS data log. Everything else seems to work with regard to the ECM and PCM. I can read codes with an aftermarket code reader. The only codes I have are related to the intake heater which is removed on my truck.

I am thinking that I have a weird  very early 1998.5 truck with a pcm ecm combination that smarty didn't account for. I want to try a different ecm or pcm but don't know which to try first. At one point the pcm in the truck was updated to 56046355AE because there is a hand labeled dodge sticker over the original one.  This comes up as a 1998 pcm when I google it. Could it be a 12v pcm? The ecm looks original. Any 24v ECM experts know what I should try next. I really need to get a data log from the smarty so I can have smoke free tunes for my compound turbo set up.  Thanks!