• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 diagnostic trail, confirmation needed

Good afternoon everyone, hope you all are doing well.  I have a pretty good idea but wanted to get some more opinions on my VP44 issues.  I immediately get 0216 and 1693 after I clear the codes and start the truck.  Here is the good trail....  It drives just fine unloaded and even pulling when it's cool.  but when the heat starts to build, it seems to heat soak and then starts cutting power.  The hotter is gets (truck and weather) the worse it does it.   I drove it unloaded to work at 4 am this morning, ran like a dream.  I never have less that 14 PSI, mostly 15-16 of fuel pressure.   Seems to me it's pretty clear the magic computer box on the VP44 is getting hot and crapping out.  Anyone have any other ideas, or confident concurrence?   Thanks all, have a great day.  

Well, 4" downpipe off back of the turbo, CAI, and oh yeah, it's in an 06 F350...lol.  I am using the factory ford lift pump with a FASS regulator, which give me a constant 15 psi, but unknown volume.  I will be installing an airdog 4G 165. 

According to factory for the P0216 it says to check a few things. It says if you also have a P0336, P1287 or P1690 to diagnose those first. It then says to check freeze frame data which Im pretty sure you need the special DRB scanner for. It says to check the gear alignment as far as the injection pump gear make sure its aligned properly. I cant imagine it would be off unless your doing hard timing or it was installed wrong. It says to make sure fuel filter isn't clogged by measuring the difference in fuel pressure between both sides of the filter. Finally it says to check for a fuel inlet restriction at the lift pump before suggesting a new VP or fixing any issues with the fuel supply.

Congrats on owning a Fummins. I had a customer come into the dealer I used to work at asking for Cummins badges for his 97 F250. Got a kick out of that. It was definitely a nice truck. 

Edited by 2000Ram2500

• Owner

Ummm...

P0216 code could be...

Image result for mopar1973man timing piston

If the timing piston is galled up and damaged there is no real electronic issue with the PSG but the timing piston can be jamming up because of expanding metal as the pump heat up it starts to jam and stick. Then when the ECM calls for advancement or retard the timing doesn't respond fast enough because the piston is stuck so the P0216 code is thrown. 

• Like 1