• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Injectors + new codes + zero throttle

I installed a new set of injectors and bled the lines.  It'll fire up.  Running rough though.

When I hit the gas pedal I get zero.

Check engine light is on

3 key turn read offers me these clues.

PCU

P0122 + P1693

ECU

P0222 + P1693

7 minutes ago, leety said:

I installed a new set of injectors and bled the lines.  It'll fire up.  Running rough though.

When I hit the gas pedal I get zero.

Check engine light is on

3 key turn read offers me these clues.

PCU

P0122 + P1693

ECU

P0222 + P1693

Update got the throttle back, fixed itself, let it idol and now it seems to be running smooth. 

Error codes still in play.

Problem solved.

Yesterday when I went on a test drive the 

PCU

P0122 + P1693

codes vanished.

I tried to clear the remaining code:

ECU

P0222 + P1693

But is was not clearing.

I decided to sleep on it.

This morning I wanted to go with a KISS approach.

Yesterday when i was putting everything back together after I finished installing the new injector set (a fun time for sure) I noticed that the connector under the throttle position sensor was very goopy dirty so I had shot some terminal cleaner in it.

Today I took that connector off to inspect it. There were no apparent physical issues with it but it was a bit wet in there.  There appeared to be some remaining terminal cleaner still hanging around from yesterday. I decided to shoot it again with a different type of electrical cleaner that would evaporate better.  I took the rubber boot of the plug and sprayed some something I happen to have on the shelf, MAS Airflow Sensor Cleaner (plastic safe), on the plug and let it do it's think for a few hours.

Put it all back together and presto magnifico the error codes could be cleared and everything is back to normal, except the more power and such from the injector upgrade, which is a solid improvement!

As always thanks for any and all suggestions I get from everyone.

It's a super helpful group!

Your going to like them. I loved mine. A little bump in power and mpg. Be interested in seeing how you like them. I think they are fantastic for someone not looking fro big horse power as I was at the time. Still not by the way but 400 would not make me sad. To many others in the way that at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dripley said:

Your going to like them. I loved mine. A little bump in power and mpg. Be interested in seeing how you like them. I think they are fantastic for someone not looking fro big horse power as I was at the time. Still not by the way but 400 would not make me sad. To many others in the way that at the moment.

Not the machine I'm looking to go fast in.  The Dragon is for camping in the middle of nowhere and towing and it's perfect for just that.  I drive all chill in this truck.

If I want to go fast, I'll be in something exponentially smaller, preferably mid or rear engine, likely german, and somewhat old :-)

I like the new injectors so far.  Definitely a noticeable bump in power going up my mountain.  We'll see how the mileage works out as I measure it.

I have an old edge tuner thatvcame with the truck.  I have it set on 2.  Not sure if it’s good and I’m still getting quite a bit of black smoke when I step on it below about 1700 RPMs.  Perhaps the tuner is contributing.

AFC19F9D-7086-44A3-84E6-C178E2261E3F.jpeg

Set in on three and experiment. My Banks was a pump tap tuner where the EZ is not. Not sure how much difference it makes, but you can play with it. Mine smoked a little but only when got on it hard. Cleared right up when the turbo spooled. The 50's I have on mine right now with the comp are smokier than I like. Seems to smoke less on 5X3 that 3X3. Maybe level 3 on the EZ will help. I just dont know.

• Like 1

Just now, dripley said:

Set in on three and experiment. My Banks was a pump tap tuner where the EZ is not. Not sure how much difference it makes, but you can play with it. Mine smoked a little but only when got on it hard. Cleared right up when the turbo spooled. The 50's I have on mine right now with the comp are smokier than I like. Seems to smoke less on 5X3 that 3X3. Maybe level 3 on the EZ will help. I just dont know.

The one I have is old and super primitive.  I got them to send me the manual, the ones on line don't go back that far.  The thing just has a simple jumper in the box so it's 1, 2, 3, are the options.

I've attached the bit from the manual.

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 6.19.25 PM.png

• Owner

The problem is the Edge EZ fuel map is design around only the stock injector. So now that you step up ot the RV275 there is no way to remap the fuel curve versus boost to control the smoke. This why people like myself in the early years raved about RV275 injectors and Edge Comp because you gain a good amount of power be could clean up most of the smoke with the limited setting you had. You couldn't step up above +50HP because of the smoke issues.

Now that I dropped the Edge Comp and replaced with the Quadzilla the +75HP (7 x 0.0085 VCO) that I've got installed I've got cleaned up to near nothing for smoke starting my fuel map BELOW stock fuel at 80% and rising up from there. Then with the timing I'm able to push a bit more advancement to get more fuel burnt in the cylinder and without pushing out the smoke. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The problem is the Edge EZ fuel map is design around only the stock injector. So now that you step up ot the RV275 there is no way to remap the fuel curve versus boost to control the smoke. This why people like myself in the early years raved about RV275 injectors and Edge Comp because you gain a good amount of power be could clean up most of the smoke with the limited setting you had. You couldn't step up above +50HP because of the smoke issues.

Now that I dropped the EdgeComp and replaced with the Quadzilla the +75HP (7 x 0.0085 VCO) that I've got installed I've got cleaned up to near nothing for smoke starting my fuel map BELOW stock fuel at 80% and rising up from there. Then with the timing I'm able to push a bit more advancement to get more fuel burnt in the cylinder and now pushing out the smoke. 

Cool that was going to be my next question.  What to do about the tuner.  Should I just delete the one that's in there for now?  And do you think the Quadzilla would be a better choice for my setup?

2 minutes ago, leety said:

The one I have is old and super primitive.  I got them to send me the manual, the ones on line don't go back that far.  The thing just has a simple jumper in the box so it's 1, 2, 3, are the options.

I've attached the bit from the manual.

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 6.19.25 PM.png

Well that does appear to be primitive. Surprised the levels are so close together in what they add.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Owner

Edge EZ is easy to remove. There is power, ground, MAP sensor and CANBus lead. Unplug all that its gone. 

Quadzilla will hook up the same way except for 2 extra wires. There is the wire tap for the VP44. Then the extra keyed hot lead into the dash fuse panel. You do have the optional fuel pressure and trans temp. Then EGT gauge hook up.

• Like 1