• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sloppy Loose Gas Pedal?

So since I got this truck over a year and a half ago and ever since it's had a very sloppy gas pedal. The first picture is it resting against the cable stop, the second is being supported by my foot, third is a picture of where it rests on the stop unsupported and fourth shows it being supported where I'm pretty sure it should be. Could it be they put in the throttle cable of a V8 or V10? I checked the "Throttle Body" for lack of a better word, and that spring is tight and not sloppy in there so I don't know what is wrong. Doesn't really effect performance just kinda annoying. Any advice helps. Thanks!

IMG_20180922_190441692.jpg

IMG_20180922_190449401.jpg

IMG_20180922_190509857.jpg

IMG_20180922_190516336.jpg

• Owner

Take a few split shot fishing weights and put them on there. That will take up the slack.Then you can test if you are getting a full pull. You might pull the cover of the bellcrank and check the way it is now and see how much split shot you need and adjust accordingly. 

Side note, I would address that hydro booster and get it rebuilt its leaking power steering fluid on the inside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Take a few split shot fishing weights and put them on there. That will take up the slack.Then you can test if you are getting a full pull. You might pull the cover of the bellcrank and check the way it is now and see how much split shot you need and adjust accordingly. 

Side note, I would address that hydro booster and get it rebuilt its leaking power steering fluid on the inside. 

@dripley @Mopar1973Man I didn't know there was a way to adjust it... I pulled the bellcrank and didn't see a place to adjust it, or maybe I overlooked it?

Also how hard is it to replace a hydroboost? My dads 03 hydro was a pain in the arse to do, and I am really dreading doing this one.....

I dont know that there is an  adjustment either. Looking at your photos there does NOT appear to be one at the pedal and I thought maybe there is one on the bellcrank. Split sinkers over the cable at the pedal would do it and just take up the space. 

I just resealed my hydro boost and it was not that bad. Mine first showed it self with some drips on the floor mat which yours might be getting ready to. The seal between the halves let go and it stopped leaking on the floor mat. Resealed it and no more leaking on the floor mat. I did NOT replace the seal on the shaft due to how it is assembled so time will tell whether I did enough. Not a tough job by any means excluding the seal on the shaft.

5 minutes ago, dripley said:

I dont know that there is an  adjustment either. Looking at your photos there does NOT appear to be one at the pedal and I thought maybe there is one on the bellcrank. Split sinkers over the cable at the pedal would do it and just take up the space.  

I just resealed my hydro boost and it was not that bad. Mine first showed it self with some drips on the floor mat which yours might be getting ready to. The seal between the halves let go and it stopped leaking on the floor mat. Resealed it and no more leaking on the floor mat. I did NOT replace the seal on the shaft due to how it is assembled so time will tell whether I did enough. Not a tough job by any means excluding the seal on the shaft.

So whats leaking is not the shaft seal? What are the steps to go about this? I assume take it off, reseal, reinstall, and rebleed brakes?

You can take the master cylinder loose from the hydro boost and never open it. It is not going to look that way but you can, I did. There is a seal on the shaft that goes into the cab and the brake pedal. The only way to replace it is to remove the shaft from the master cylinder. Thats the rub. It is crimped on. @Haggar has posted a way to remove it, but I did not. I resealed the case and replaced the power piston bore seal. So far the shaft into the cab has not leaked any more. More luck than skill on that.

I cant seem to find the article on resealing it. Hopefully someone can help with that.

And also if your brakes are working fine I dont think they are getting ready to fail by any means. It is something to be mindful of though.

10 minutes ago, dripley said:

You can take the master cylinder loose from the hydro boost and never open it. It is not going to look that way but you can, I did. There is a seal on the shaft that goes into the cab and the brake pedal. The only way to replace it is to remove the shaft from the master cylinder. Thats the rub. It is crimped on. @Haggar has posted a way to remove it, but I did not. I resealed the case and replaced the power piston bore seal. So far the shaft into the cab has not leaked any more. More luck than skill on that.

I cant seem to find the article on resealing it. Hopefully someone can help with that.

And also if your brakes are working fine I dont think they are getting ready to fail by any means. It is something to be mindful of though.

No they're fine. Brakes are strong as day one but I'll check them tomorrow. Whats the kit called you bought to fix this problem and how much was it? It hasn't dripped on my floor mat as far as I know of so it probably hasn't been a problem for awhile.

You can see it in your photo. It is just left of the gas pedal. The shaft thru the fire wall is moist and shows some sign of leakage. I did not notice mine until a drip on the floor mat. I got a kit from Pirate 4X4 for $40 I think. I cant help but think there is a better source since I only used about 15% of the kit. It is a generic kit. You have time so dont get to bent outta shape over it. Who knows you might find a better source for the seals needed.

3 minutes ago, dripley said:

You can see it in your photo. It is just left of the gas pedal. The shaft thru the fire wall is moist and shows some sign of leakage. I did not notice mine until a drip on the floor mat. I got a kit from Pirate 4X4 for $40 I think. I cant help but think there is a better source since I only used about 15% of the kit. It is a generic kit. You have time so dont get to bent outta shape over it. Who knows you might find a better source for the seals needed.

Alrighty I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks for helping Dripley and for pointing that out @Mopar1973Man

I'll look to see if theres an adjustable screw or something on that bellcrank, did you find anything on that??