• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo moaning with boost

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Sounds normal. You problem is the timing is retarded so turbo typically stays active more. When you get into timing you'll find the turbo is much quieter and boost is much lower. Mine is typically 2 PSI at 65 MPH and very quiet. Then hit a grade it sounds like a turbo prop.

Hmm it don’t sound normal to me but it’s jot like it’s causing problems either. 

How would the truck like an XZT with the 75s? Smoky for sure hit would it lag?

Why is my timing retarded?

• Owner
6 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

How would the truck like an XZT with the 75s?

Smoky... XZT is designed around stock injectors. Not boost to fuel control nor timing control. Bigger the injectors the more timing is required. 

7 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Smoky for sure hit would it lag?

Again it's about a balance of fuel and timing. XZT is not going to do that. Need a good amount timing retard as the turbo starts to light then flip over to advancing and heavy fuel. That period of time is based on timing and fuel/boost control.

9 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Why is my timing retarded?

Ummm... Stock ECM timing is about 12* above 20% engine load. So if you want timing you have to have a live data display and keep the engine load below 20%. This is normal smog control tuning. If you really want to see retarded look at CR software it so retard stock that the main event actual fires ATDC not BTDC.

12 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Hmm it don’t sound normal to me but it’s jot like it’s causing problems either. 

36 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

It sounds just like wind in a tunnel. Goes right alongside turbo boost.

The only thing I could think of is an exhaust leak or boost leak. But that wind tunnel sound is typically the BHAF that seems to amplify the sound like the turbo attempting to suck the glovebox through the firewall. If the compressor is not making contact and the shaft can't be pulled in or out the bearings are good. Long as there isn't any oil in the mouth of the compressor the seals are good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nekkedbob said:

Mine has always had a ungodly howl above about 23 PSI and has done this for 5 years since I disabled the waste gate.

I have a feeling mike is correct about the bhaf making the racket. I found a used oem airbox for 100$ that is on the way. Love the turbo sound but now that I’m driving 50 miles a day I need to quiet this rig down. 

The BHAF is better fltration and air flow than the stock air box . I would have give you mine if I would have known you wanted to go back. The turbo noise is just normal and yes the BHAF will magnify it but I doubt if anyone outside the truck would even notice. Not trying to beat you up but 2nd gens are 2nd gens, some noise comes with the truck.

Edited by dripley

7 hours ago, dripley said:

The BHAF is better fltration and air flow than the stock air box . I would have give you mine if I would have known you wanted to go back. The turbo noise is just normal and yes the BHAF will magnify it but I doubt if anyone outside the truck would even notice. Not trying to beat you up but 2nd gens are 2nd gens, some noise comes with the truck.

I figured since I’m not much into performance the stock air cleaner would be more than sufficient if a quality element is installed. 

• Owner
10 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Love the turbo sound but now that I’m driving 50 miles a day I need to quiet this rig down. 

Never going to happen. BHAF is way better than stock airbox. This is one reason I dumped the stock air box long ago. The turbo heat will deform the plastic over time and the clamping force on the filter will get weak. Then you will start seeing dust trails on the lid. I highly suggest against the stock air box and suggest you keep the BHAF. If you want to cut the turbo noise down, turn the timing up the boost will fall near zero at highway speed. No noise at all. 

Remember the amount of drive time I put in. I can tell you 20-21* of timing will make the turbo near silent. remember I'm an HX35/40 hybrid (60/6012) with no way to install a silencer ring. No way to silence that turbo other than timing. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Never going to happen. BHAF is way better than stock airbox. This is one reason I dumped the stock air box long ago. The turbo heat will deform the plastic over time and the clamping force on the filter will get weak. Then you will start seeing dust trails on the lid. I highly suggest against the stock air box and suggest you keep the BHAF. If you want to cut the turbo noise down, turn the timing up the boost will fall near zero at highway speed. No noise at all. 

Remember the amount of drive time I put in. I can tell you 20-21* of timing will make the turbo near silent. remember I'm an HX35/40 hybrid (60/6012) with no way to install a silencer ring. No way to silence that turbo other than timing. 

Well I can’t raise timing without the Qaud and I can’t afford that. 

Man, some days I wish I had a quiet single. Especially after longer trips. With the smaller injectors, I used to run 10 psi cruising. Like this, but for 13 hours. https://youtu.be/suiMU-fTFK0

Could always be worse!

Thankfully the large injectors dropped the boost down to a manageable 4-6 psi.  Easily covered by the radio.

Edited by trreed
  • Like 2

• Owner

That's what mine sounds like going over every grade. Spools up to about 10-12 PSI and whistles the whole way up a hill. Drop over the backside and goes quiet. 

Like this morning I'm taking the Cummins and going to McCall, ID. I'll have to climb Goose Creek grade which is a 7% grade winding. I'll see if I can capture a bit of video of the turbo spooling. Then on the flat ground capture a bit more video.

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Is they’re a bhaf out theyre that would possibly be quieter?

No. Not found one.

I know the old Scotty II air filter was the absolute loudest air filter for our trucks. Sad to say no longer manufactured. With a cold air hole drilled in the cowl and that really amped up the noise of the filter. 

Image result for scotty ii ir filter cummins

• Like 1