• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Filling oil filter when changing oil?

@Marcus2000monster they dont specify that you have to change I think they just mean if your going to be in really cold areas or live in a really cold area to use the 5W40. We used to sell it as an upsell at the dealership i worked at in southern california. No problems caused by that yet and its been years. Only problem I've ever seen caused by oil to a cummins was a tech forgot to put oil back in it and obviously that will cause an issue haha.

As far as oil filters I use the mopar filters that we get from chrysler which come from cummins (idk who the manufacturer is) and fuel filters i use factory which is fleetguard. Employee discount is nice for that for sure

• Staff

Correct, you can run 5w-40 year round. It doesn't even take really cold to switch to 5w-40, just operation below 0°F. 

The manual doesn't talk about synthetic 15w-40 but it's generally good to -20/-30°F. 

image.png

I may have to dig up that video...

Well... that was easier to find than I expected. 

That's only 5° below the lowest recommended temp for dino 15w-40. It makes it easy to see why the recommendation is in place. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@AH64ID I have always respected your opinions here and that will not change. I have always run Dino oil and always will just me. But I have nothing against the synthetic and folks seem to get good results from both. Please dont stop putting info out here for us to judge by. After all this is why I run the filter I run. Thanks.

20180623_133059.jpg.19483f8832eabee9f438ef31031daee8.jpg

Just dont tell me it is no good anymore. I am running about 10k on them with no UOA. Never done one.

Going to have to replace the head gasket real soon and we will see what the top end looks like. 100% Dino with various filters over the past 450k. I do and always will value your opinion here just as several others I have come to know. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

@dripley that's still the best full flow you can run. It's quite the filter!

Well if I live long enough we can open the top end up again at 900k and see what that filter does on its own. Maybe we ought to shoot for 700k. Might still be breathing then. 

• Haha 2

• Staff
5 minutes ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

Im wondering what the "µ" is on the factory filters then..

And what kind of effect does that have on oil pressure? Or is there no change when you put a finer filter in?

The OEM filter is 35µ absolute. 

If it's a quality filter, such as Donaldson Blue or Fleetguard Stratopore, then there is no restriction based on filtering ability. The restriction would come into play with a plugged filter. 

I know the Donaldson Blue's are also designed as extended drain interval filters. 

The only time I recommend an early oil filter change is when someone switches to quality synthetics with over 75K miles on the motor. This is due to the cleaning characteristics of quality synthetic oils. 

• Thanks 1

• Owner
21 hours ago, AH64ID said:

The only time I recommend an early oil filter change is when someone switches to quality synthetics with over 75K miles on the motor. This is due to the cleaning characteristics of quality synthetic oils. 

I hate to disagree... But there is no proof in this statement.

Like my truck, the head has been in service for 355k miles and when it was pulled off there was zero sludge or debris in the head just oil. So when the head was stood on it side for the entire night to drain the head was spotless. My truck has use petroleum oils since the beginning of time. Again no debris, sludge, etc. As I said there is no proof in this statement. (Other than the bits of valve seals)

So how do you clean something that is already clean for 355k miles?

DSCF4443.JPG

Again when I pull the tappet cover a year ago there was no sludge or debris found. 

Image result for mopar1973man tappet cover

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I hate to disagree... But there is no proof in this statement.

There is lots of proof in the statement, and has been for many many years. Just because something is true and occurs does not mean it occurs to most. Our own experiences are not absolute, and my not even be average. We need to look outside our own wheelhouse to see the whole picture. 

You have always had a good maintenance program and I am not surprised your motor is clean. That doesn't mean every motor is as clean with that many, or fewer miles. Without seeing the inside of every motor I make a general recommendation, it's likely overkill for most but the last thing we want is a plugged filter bypassing. 

Its similar to biodiesel plugging fuel filters. It’s a known occurrence when people start running bio, but that doesn’t mean everyone has the issue. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

• Staff
37 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Ahh... So you admitting that petroleum oils won't exactly cause a dirty engine. This what I wanted to point out is too many make this false claim that synthetic is the only solution to clean engine. When the very same results can be produced with petroleum oils as well. 

I don't think I ever said they petroleum oils always cause a dirty engine. It is known that when ran too long (miles or time), or out of appropriate temperature ranges that they are more prone to creating sludge in an engine. 

Sludge is a byproduct of oxidation and contamination.  All oil can sludge merely because all oil can oxidize and become contaminated.  The rate of sludge build up largely depends largely on quality of oil, driving condition, and change intervals in relation to the oil type and quality.  Thats not overlooking the fact that a properly running engine will create less sludge too.

Simply put, change the oil more often and there will be less sludge.  Its really that simple...but most people are looking to simplify their life and fall for marketing gimmicks.

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 1

• Owner
21 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Very much so implied. Why would you have to change oil early if switching over to synthetics? Hmmm? 

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Very much so implied. Why would you have to change oil early if switching over to synthetics? Hmmm? 

I didn't say to change the oil early.... I said I recommend an early oil filter change. Without knowing the status of the motor I cannot recommend a full synthetic OCI on a single filter. If you're cleaning a dirty motor the filter will plug sooner, so it won't last as long. A filter change is cheap insurance, and much better than a filter that goes into bypass mode. 

You can read it if you want to, but the reason the misnomer about synthetic causing leaks got spread for a reason. Synthetics clean dirty motors. 

No different than my correlation to using bio-diesel for the first time. 

• Owner
2 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

No different than my correlation to using bio-diesel for the first time. 

LOL.. Again... Another one a laugh at. biodiesel "cleaning ability" again first there has be something dirty in the tank. (Slime, algae,  or physical dirt etc.) I've not found any truth in that either. As manner of fact all the fuel tanks I've opened up and installed draw straws have been clean. Yes, I've installed a lot of FASS and AirDog systems locally. No truth in that claim either. Yes i've use Biodiesel from over on the Oregon side many times. Still change fuel filters at 60k miles. 

4 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I said I recommend an early oil filter change.

Ok, Opps... I'll admit that one. :duh:

But still goes back there has to be something dirty inside the engine or sludge to have to change the filter early again... What I'm trying to point out is petroleum oils and fuels do not mean there is going to dirt, sludge or debris found. 

• Staff

Known issues... but you can look at it how ever you want to. It's very easy, and cheap, to do a little extra preventative maintenance so why spend so much energy fighting it?

There is plenty of truth to each of the statements. Things don't have to happen to you to be true. 

I've seen dirty fuel tanks and I've seen clean fuel tanks, far more clean than dirty but filters are cheap. 

Same thing with dirty motors... it's easier to be smart with filters than it is to open a tank/motor to verify.

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1