• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Filling oil filter when changing oil?

Here is a Easy one ,

4939303651_0e4826d697.jpg

!955 331 cu in _____________ V8,,, Fill in the blank :smart:

479_p6_l.jpg

Who-what?.... 331 cu in ______________

2721897653_604f4eb70e_z.jpg?zz=1

OOPS sorry...... I got carried away and stole the thread

Edited by GSP7

Guest 04Mach1
On 10/17/2018 at 7:36 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Ahh... So you admitting that petroleum oils won't exactly cause a dirty engine. This what I wanted to point out is too many make this false claim that synthetic is the only solution to clean engine. When the very same results can be produced with petroleum oils as well. 

The top end of a 2015 Paccar MX-13 engine just after valve cover removal with 425,xxx miles on the engine and owner said about 60,000 on the 5W-30 Mobil Delvac 1 ESP. I didn't even know Mobil made it in that weight of oil. I just did a routine overhead adjustment it and I was happy I didn't have to spend 3 days scrubbing soot stain out of my hands and wrists. All diesel oil clean well because of the amount of detergents in them but in my professional opinion synthetics ability to keep the internal engine clean is superior especially in emission diesel engines.

IMAG0281.jpg.1a38b2ac68ffead6d70b320d3f678c68.jpg

• Owner

Here we go with synthetic cleaning again. :rolleyes:

I never had any those problem with doing valve lash on any diesel where I had to scrub the soot out of my hands. Like even on my own I can just wipe my hands with a rag and then wash with soap and water and done. Again just plain ol' petroleum engine oil nothing special. 

Now yes I've seen even what you are talking about where the oil is so full of soot that it like pen ink anything you touch is stained black instantly. 

• Like 1

• Staff
40 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Probably because it's a thing

40 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I never had any those problem with doing valve lash on any diesel where I had to scrub the soot out of my hands. Like even on my own I can just wipe my hands with a rag and then wash with soap and water and done. Again just plain ol' petroleum engine oil nothing special. 

Your motor is basically 1998 technology/emissions... that's why. It doesn't put soot into the oil like new motor do. 

The motor posted meets 2015 emissions, very big difference in terms of soot in the oil. 

Some of it is just the physical design of the piston/injector that was used to meet emissions. The 04.5-07 5.9 piston puts LOT of soot into the oil, the 03-04 and 6.7 pistons not as much. The 6.7 puts soot into the oil, but not from piston design. 

Guest 04Mach1
52 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

My point was this how an EPA13 level emissions engine overhead with mid life mileage looked without an overnight drain and was 20k past its petroleum oil drain spec. This engine is factory equipped with a centrifugal (spinner) oil filter also. No by-pass filters were on it. 

• Owner
6 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

This engine is factory equipped with a centrifugal (spinner) oil filter also.

That right there would keep any engine cleaner. I know those have been proven for YEARS to do a way better job of filtering out debris and soot over a bypass filter but typically a spinner filter is a pricey add on. 

http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm/div/65/Industrial

6 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

No by-pass filters were on it. 

Technically that could be considered a bypass filter. 

So this isn't like a fair comparison being the spinner is involved.  

Guest 04Mach1
4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That right there would keep any engine cleaner. I know those have been proven for YEARS to do a way better job of filtering out debris and soot over a bypass filter but typically a spinner filter is a pricey add on. 

http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm/div/65/Industrial

Technically that could be considered a bypass filter. 

So this isn't like a fair comparison being the spinner is involved.  

Good point... Spinner filters are considered by-pass filters even though they use no filtering media. 

I know with the perseverance you have with dino oils there will be no way to convince otherwise. I was skeptical of synthetic engine oils about 15 years ago and thought it was just overpriced oil but after repeatedly seeing nothing but benefits with synthetics I made the switch and have never looked back. The only vehicle I own that still has dino oil is the 97 12 valve but it too will soon have Rotella T6 when I ever decide to repair some external oil leaks. Synthetic oil is expensive because you get what you pay for.

Anybody using a spinner?  If so how's it working out?

I thought the lowest psi rated spinner operated at the our 5.9 max output.   In other words, not effective on our size.  

Edited by 015point9
Typo correction