• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Immediate shutdown when starting

NBC_Archer

Hello to all, my first question for fellow 3rd Gen devotees.

I have had a recurring, relatively minor irritating issue with my favorite truck.

Periodically, with no apparent connection to temperature, work load, or time since last incident. I think it is related to the key (fob has some kind of transmitter inside it).

I will start the truck, it fires up, runs for one or two seconds and then shuts down.  All I have to do, is switch the key, completely off, wait a few seconds, then restart. 

It restarts and runs fine, until the next time.  Sometimes that is later on the same day, sometimes a few days later, sometimes not for a week or two.

My fear is that one time, it will not start for me, and then I am dead in the water. 

I have had a very clever young locksmith who programmed  two new keys for me, which work fine, but have not changed anything.  So I have lots of spare keys now, but the issue continues to reoccur.

Dodge dealers want to sell me a whole new column shifter, instrument package .... many dollars ...  

Anybody else had this experience?

D

• Staff

My 2nd gen does that when the alarm goes off. I can start it and shuts down within seconds. Its the alarm system going off for no reason on mine and shutting down because it thinks I'm a thief. As soon as I get the alarm off with the key FOB I can start it and go just fine.

Jag,

Thanks for your feed back,

Hmmmmmmm ........ I will need to pay attention to my "last-shut-down-to-first-startup" sequence. 

Maybe ....  if I am not activating the keyfob door lock security, when I get out of the truck, leaving it unlocked ... then get back in and try to start it up ........ Maybe.  

• Staff

Your horn should be sounding off too when truck thinks your a thief.... are the horns working at all?

Mine will go off even when unlocking with my key sometimes. Its pain in the ***. mostly happens in town. I guess where there is more cell phones and other radio equipment.

One solution is to wrap the alarm circuit box in tin foil as tight as possible.

Edited by JAG1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again Jag,

Well, I paid attention to my sequences, and there is nothing common about what I am doing immediately prior to the event.  It has only happened 2 or 3 times since my last post. 

Regarding your last post .... no I do not have any horn/alarms going off.  In fact this event never sets off an alarm.  It just starts, runs for a couple of seconds and dies.  I always starts the second time, after turning the ignition completely off and restarting.

Thanks for your interest.

D

Guest 04Mach1
On 9/28/2018 at 6:04 PM, JAG1 said:

Your horn should be sounding off too when truck thinks your a thief.... are the horns working at all?

Mine will go off even when unlocking with my key sometimes. Its pain in the ***. mostly happens in town. I guess where there is more cell phones and other radio equipment.

One solution is to wrap the alarm circuit box in tin foil as tight as possible.

Curious if you've ever had the horn honk 3 times when you unlock the doors with the key fob. My 01 does this atleast once a day and has done so for years. I've tried to figure it out but theres no info on this for a non Dodge tech out there. University of Google doesn't help either.

Mach,

Never had the horn honk 3 times, when unlocking with the remote fob.  About 6 or 7 years ago, I had my truck broken into 3 times in 2 years.  Got fed up with that BS, and had a local auto electronics wizard shop install, a vibration sensitive, Compustar alarm system, complete with a camera to record inside the cab, as well as outside.  At the time I was working overseas a lot, out of the country for 5 to 8 weeks at a time.  Each time I came home, my truck would have a dead battery.  So, I tried to get around that, with getting an autostart/run action that would activate whenever the voltage dropped below 11.4 volts.  That tricky little program, required the Compustar remote control to be plugged in and located within 25 - 30 feet of the truck at all times, basically, it sat in the window of the house, looking out at the truck parked in the drive way.  Well that was not a reliable system at all, my battery still would be dead more than half the time.  I finally killed those batteries.  Replaced them with better AGM batteries, that died within 2 years. 

It is probably clear from the details in the bottom of message, that I have installed a lot of aftermarket equipment.  I suspect I probably have some kind of a little bug associated with a wiring install, but only God knows how I will find it now.

• Like 1

• Staff
9 hours ago, 04Mach1 said:

Curious if you've ever had the horn honk 3 times when you unlock the doors with the key fob. My 01 does this atleast once a day and has done so for years. I've tried to figure it out but theres no info on this for a non Dodge tech out there. University of Google doesn't help either.

No I never have. It's always full on alarm when it does it. Often it will go off after I lock the doors and then the wife decides minutes later that she is going too and unlocks using the switch on her side. It makes her really mad when everyone stares like she's a criminal. Lol.

Edited by JAG1