Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I pulled my dash to get the old cover off, drop pieces on the floor they shatter like glass,want to order an new one, this looks like a nightmare, dash is down ( not fully detached) but there is several screws that looks like hold down the cover way up under the backside by vents,etc   Is this the nightmare I envision?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some screws that attach the vents to it. They are time consuming but not really difficult. I have done a few of them for family members 2nd gens. I have only used LMC color, fit and finish was great. :2cents:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I struggled with the ones on the drivers side too. Had my son who was skinny like I was way back then helping with those. So a thin friend is big help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dripley said:

I struggled with the ones on the drivers side too. Had my son who was skinny like I was way back then helping with those. So a thin friend is big help. 

How skinny I have to be? The shrinking man?   Just kidding.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blueox01 said:

How skinny I have to be? The shrinking man?   Just kidding.

Maybe. I passed the skinny part a long time ago. As I remember I still had the hvac box out to. Not much space on drivers side anyway. 

 I think a well trained 2 year old would fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my dash out before to glue it back together and it wasn't that hard getting it out just few screws I couldn't see and I never put them back ether, been fine without hard to reach screws. Just take your time and try different angles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I had my dash out before to glue it back together and it wasn't that hard getting it out just few screws I couldn't see and I never put them back ether, been fine without hard to reach screws. Just take your time and try different angles. 

At $300 for the new one I did not want to take the chance of me being the cause of it failing. All of mine were re installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

leaving some of the screws a little loose may help the new dash hold up better under exp and contraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine are all snugged tight. I did buy the washers for the attachments at the windshield. Dont know if that is helping, but for an extra 25 bucks I did not care. As I remember my cracks did all originate from a connection point. But I have slept a few times since then and I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm still thinking about gluing some type of vinyl over my dash to keep it all together and from farther cracking.  

 

I've been messing with a cracked abs grill myself.   Can't remember where but looking for ideas to fix mine , I found some people are making abs paste to fix whatever they need fixed.  Some cut up some abs and use fillings like someone would use wood putty to make stronger.  Seems to be easy to do.  Of course those that fail probably dont put on some web site.  Just throwing it out there.  Never done it myself.  My cracked grill is going to get neoprene well nuts first and hope it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dripley said:

Maybe. I passed the skinny part a long time ago. As I remember I still had the hvac box out to. Not much space on drivers side anyway. 

 I think a well trained 2 year old would fit.

I'm to old too have a 2yr old, anyone have one for rent?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dripley said:

I think a well trained 2 year old would fit.

Is that a competent potty trained 2 year old?

 

1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

I've been messing with a cracked abs grill myself.  

I made a glue/filler out of broken pieces from an old trailer AC cover that was melted in a jar of acetone.  I used this to fix a small crack in the front cover of the 5th wheel. It worked good.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I need a new heater core but I don’t wanna install it! Haha. At least I’m skinny. My dash is cracked but not busted out. I’ll problably glue it back together and grab a Ultimat dash may from Geno’s to cover up. 

While it is not necessarily the most fun thing do, it is not difficult at all. I used @Mopar1973Man's article for the job. It you go in that deep do the evaporator too. Might find you some more side work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dripley said:

While it is not necessarily the most fun thing do, it is not difficult at all. I used @Mopar1973Man's article for the job. It you go in that deep do the evaporator too. Might find you some more side work

I wouldn’t mind catching a side job like that. It’s something that you can charge a good wage for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marcus2000monster said:

I wouldn’t mind catching a side job like that. It’s something that you can charge a good wage for.

A good many years back while having my AC checked for leaks the shop quoted me $900 to replace the evaporator. Thats when I decided to do it myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Wow that’s insane. 

It is quotes like that that pushed me to do more things myself.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2018 at 6:16 PM, BBHD said:

There are some screws that attach the vents to it. They are time consuming but not really difficult. I have done a few of them for family members 2nd gens. I have only used LMC color, fit and finish was great. :2cents:

I went with the LMC,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered the light gray cover, my dash had piece broken out, above the Temp control, thought I could fix and brace it but it was too brittle, found a good dash at a u-pull-it,in agate, so I switched the whole interior and drove to KC to exchange it, and pick-up a new set of fiberglass rear fenders, the dash cover came with screws and washers, why would I not use the original vs. what they provided?

Edited by Blueox01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like hearing about someone like you going the extra effort/ mile to take care of his truck. Sounds like its going to be nice truck.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

I like hearing about someone like you going the extra effort/ mile to take care of his truck. Sounds like its going to be nice truck.

 

Thanks. i'm trying to build a reliable hauler.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:16 PM, BBHD said:

There are some screws that attach the vents to it. They are time consuming but not really difficult. I have done a few of them for family members 2nd gens. I have only used LMC color, fit and finish was great. :2cents:

You use the screws provided or the oem?

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

I like hearing about someone like you going the extra effort/ mile to take care of his truck. Sounds like its going to be nice truck.

 

I envy the background in you profile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont remember what I did, But if it came with new screws I probably used them. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×