• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stereo Head unit with Android screen

Hi all,

getting closer to getting the Piggy to Smog and closer to ownership.  So I am planning on Quadzilla.  I see that some of the Motorized screens offered Android screens Single DIN mount.  So my questions are what fits a 2001.  Are Android apps installable from the google store using your phone as a  hot spot?  I guess that would require WIFI as well.

Bluetooth Phone Must

Bluetooth Quadzilla

Possible ODBEC II reader

Bluetooth Back up camera would be another option.

So that's what I'm looking for.  Any one with experience?

Thanks

Michael

• Owner

You want to find a fold-down style screen and not a fold-up. There out there I did some research on it and found a few single DIN stereos with fold down screens. This way the screen doesn't fold up over the center vents which would suck on a hot summers day and not have air from the center vents.

There are a few members that did Android stereos and managed to load iQuad App on the stereo without an issue.

As for stereo apps, I imagine you could set your cellphone up for tether on Bluetooth and then the stereo would have an internet connection to download the iQuad app. I do that now with my laptop and cellphone instead of WiFi. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You want to find a fold-down style screen and not a fold-up. There out there I did some research on it and found a few single DIN stereos with fold down screens. This way the screen doesn't fold up over the center vents which would suck on a hot summers day and not have air from the center vents.

There are a few members that did Android stereos and managed to load iQuad App on the stereo without an issue.

As for stereo apps, I imagine you could set your cellphone up for tether on Bluetooth and then the stereo would have an internet connection to download the iQuad app. I do that now with my laptop and cellphone instead of WiFi. 

Yea I was looking at the Vent blockage.  I saw a truck for sale and the guy had an Ipad on a Windshield gooseneck, I found a 4 foot clamp on Gooseneck that I have attached to the seat base.  I was trying to place the screen above the cup holder.  I just need to fabricate a bracket and move this over to the passenger seat.

Just need to get past smog.  I want to own this before I get more monies invested in it.  It has skin cancer on the hood and front fenders. and the Left rear Drivers door.

Thanks for your time.  I'll google fold down screen.

Michael

Screen 1.JPG

Edited by int3man

• Owner

Running the same idea...

I've got my cellphone jacked into the aux jack of my Kenwood MP3 player so all cellphone calls are through the stereo, all my text messages are read over the stereo, I can voice command the phone and send text messages or call people. Quadzilla tuner on my cellphone and then for those time I want to listen to my MP3 pile on the phone aqnd can play Google play and listen to that music too. Completely handfree setup if you set up the Google Voice Commands (Android of course).

DSCF4289.JPG

DSCF4288.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All well I found this for a head unit.  I'm trying ot order one now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Android8-0-Bluetooth-Car-Stereo-Radio-Single-Din-10-1-IPS-4GB-RAM-GPS-WiFi/202382043256?hash=item2f1ee8e878:g:R34AAOSwyjNbWb-z:rk:41:pf:0&autorefresh=true

Android 8 with WIFI, and Bluetooth.  Adjustable vertical position and removable head.  Almost too good to be true!!

Michael

• Thanks 1

I've been looking at the pioneer deck with android auto support. 

AVH-3300NEX (can still find on amazon) and it's later replacement AVH-3400NEX (basically just newer model of the same unit)

My current one is an ancient dvd navigation deck with flip up screen that covers the vents. don't really care about covering the vents as 95% of the time I have it set to windshield and floor. 

But on the hot summer days when I want those center vents...push a button and the screen closes. 

Android auto is dependent on your phone being connected to it and running. you can use it for in-dash navigation via your phones GPS/google maps. works with ipwns too (apple car play and android auto)

only catch is when using android auto you won't get to use quadzilla app till you unplug the USB from your phone. But if it's anything like the Sony deck I have in my car with android auto support...it will also let you take calls, play music, etc via just bluetooth as well without the cord plugged in. Just need the cord plugged for google maps on the screen. 

On 11/4/2018 at 11:52 AM, int3man said:

Hi All well I found this for a head unit.  I'm trying ot order one now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Android8-0-Bluetooth-Car-Stereo-Radio-Single-Din-10-1-IPS-4GB-RAM-GPS-WiFi/202382043256?hash=item2f1ee8e878:g:R34AAOSwyjNbWb-z:rk:41:pf:0&autorefresh=true

Android 8 with WIFI, and Bluetooth.  Adjustable vertical position and removable head.  Almost too good to be true!!

Michael

I hope you have better luck than me, I've tried 2 ebay stereos and both were garbage.  As much as I wanted them to work for the price, I returned them both.  My main issue is that they had BAD popping on and off and were just we're just plain cheaply made.  After the last, I went to Best Buy and got a double din Kenwood and all issues went away.  I don't really care about brand names but in the car stereo category, there is a difference.  Just my personal experience.  Hope you have better luck.