• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Loud Circulation Fan for A/C

I'm just wondering if anyone else has issues with the blower fan being so loud on High that you can't hardly hear inside the cab. This is the second fan and it was good for a short time and now sounds like a jet engine. Is there a brand that works good and is quiet? Thanks

10 minutes ago, dripley said:

Is it blowing air like a jet or just that noisy?

lol, it's that noisy or loud like standing by a jet engine. It has a rumble in it like the other ones did that were replaced. Maybe a trip to the salvage yard for an OEM out of a Dodge Truck would be the answer

I replaced mine many years ago with one from one of the box stores. It has lasted as long or longer than than oe. If this #2 with the same results there might be something else. What would be the magic question.

Edited by JAG1

19 hours ago, dripley said:

I replaced mine many years ago with one from one of the box stores. It has lasted as long or longer than than oe. If this #2 with the same results there might be something else. What would be the magic question.

7 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I tried pulling off the squirrel cage to try getting lube to the motor bearings. I ended up ruining the motor so I got one from Oreillys' and its been fine.

Fellows, maybe because it from the same vendor as the first one. I'm going to change it and I'll buy it somewhere else and see how it does. I had my friend with the A/C shop replace it for me the second time so it's the same brand again. I'll buy the unit and let him put it in for me and see how it does. I think the last time it was around $130 total. It looks like you have to pull dash out to get to it. Appreciate the advice.

13 minutes ago, Greenlee said:

Fellows, maybe because it from the same vendor as the first one. I'm going to change it and I'll buy it somewhere else and see how it does. I had my friend with the A/C shop replace it for me the second time so it's the same brand again. I'll buy the unit and let him put it in for me and see how it does. I think the last time it was around $130 total. It looks like you have to pull dash out to get to it. Appreciate the advice.

No need to pull the dash. 3 or 4 screws hold it in, re movable from the passenger floor board. I know you are limited, but it is not difficult to do depending on those limitations.

Edited by dripley

• Staff

I think I paid a lot less than that at O'Reillys. Yes its easy to do if you have a small and short ratcheting phillips screw driver. Getting down on the floor and working underneath can be difficult.

I take a 2 ft step ladder and make a platform to lay on just outside the door. It helps me lay on the floor supporting my main body with my feet down on the driveway loads more comfortable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dripley said:

No need to pull the dash. 3 or 4 screws hold it in, re movable from the passenger floor board. I know you are limited, but it is not difficult to do depending on those limitations.

I can do that Mr. D Ripley, especially from inside the cab. I have a great deal of muscle weakness from the disease I have but doing little things is on the to do list. I lack the get up and go to get started on things but I am trying to change all of that with mild stretching and exercise. I think I could change the injectors if I could find a comfortable way to get to the rear ones. I know how to cheat using double wrenching or a aluminum pipe over the ratchet handle.  A lot of things have changed but one thing I try and remind myself of is it could be worse and there are others in far worse shape so I'm thankful. I hadn't looked at any material about removing the fan so I appreciate the short version. All is good. 

49 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I think I paid a lot less than that at O'Reillys. Yes its easy to do if you have a small and short ratcheting phillips screw driver. Getting down on the floor and working underneath can be difficult.

I take a 2 ft step ladder and make a platform to lay on just outside the door. It helps me lay on the floor supporting my main body with my feet down on the driveway loads more comfortable.

That's a great idea and one that will make a lot of difference for me. One of the biggest problems is the awkward positions hanging out the door, it has stopped me from doing a lot of little jobs on the truck. Thanks for the tip. 

32 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Blower noise could be debris in the blower cage. 

Image result for blower motor noises

Didn't think of that one, I'll check it out when I get working on it. That picture says it all.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Another one to look into is debris in the evaporator will do the same thing too.

DSCF6756.jpg.c2151a3f677c3f15cc5904bec79

That is too much, where in the world did you drive to get this kind of debris from one end to the other? Now that was a job to get all of that out just looking at the picture. I think you told me that the evaporator is tied into the A/C system and you have to salvage your Freon and then go through the vacuum process and adding the Freon back into the system. Any way a big job if I remember correctly.

• Owner
6 minutes ago, Greenlee said:

That is too much, where in the world did you drive to get this kind of debris from one end to the other?

Idaho roads. Rancher doing his typical work with cows. Feeding hay, herding them, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Greenlee said:

Now that was a job to get all of that out just looking at the picture. I think you told me that the evaporator is tied into the A/C system and you have to salvage your Freon and then go through the vacuum process and adding the Freon back into the system. Any way a big job if I remember correctly.

There is a cheat. Not a perfect solution but it will work for about 80% clean up. Pull the blower and the resistor out. Lay a tarp on the passenger side footwell. Using a garden hose and spray nozzle you can rinse out the evaporator in bursts to hopefully not flood out the HVAC case and run it on the driver side. This should wash out all the packed dirt, grass, leaves, etc. Just make sure to check your A/C drain after this wash. This typically can improve airflow and reduce noise too. I've done this on 2nd Gen Dodge's, 3rd Gen Dodge's and even one Chevy truck. Worked good...

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

There is a cheat. Not a perfect solution but it will work for about 80% clean up. Pull the blower and the resistor out. Lay a tarp on the passenger side footwell. Using a garden hose and spray nozzle you can rinse out the evaporator in bursts to hopefully not flood out the HVAC case and run it on the driver side. This should wash out all the packed dirt, grass, leaves, etc. Just make sure to check your A/C drain after this wash. This typically can improve airflow and reduce noise too. I've done this on 2nd Gen Dodge's, 3rd Gen Dodge's and even one Chevy truck. Worked good...

I can see how that would be a great way to go and I will try it if mine is clogged with debris. Smart way of doing things. 

I couldn't see the blower motor from the bottom in the past, went to YouTube, it's in the wide open. I'm going to make the rig JAG was talking about to lay down on so you can work from the floor board. I guess I will be able to see inside at the evaporator. I hope it's clean. Does the rest of the plastic housing all come down from the bottom in case I need to clean it out a little?

• Owner
13 hours ago, Greenlee said:

Does the rest of the plastic housing all come down from the bottom in case I need to clean it out a little?

No. As you seen in my picture you have to remove the entire HVAC case so you can flip it over and remove like 15 Phillips screws. Then you can open it up and remove the heater core and evaporator and wash the entire case out. When I do go that far I lube the pivots of all the doors so they don't stress the vacuum motors or the stepper motor.

22 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. As you seen in my picture you have to remove the entire HVAC case so you can flip it over and remove like 15 Phillips screws. Then you can open it up and remove the heater core and evaporator and wash the entire case out. When I do go that far I lube the pivots of all the doors so they don't stress the vacuum motors or the stepper motor.

Ok, I have an idea what you are saying. I need to build a platform to set on the door sill that I can lay on. That was a great idea. Oh, spray some WD40 on those old chains hanging in the same spot for all these years. lol

I replaced my heater core about 5 years ago, took about 3 hours.  I didn't have any trash in the HVAC system at that time.  Since I've been having the mouse problem this summer, I also noticed that I had quite a bit of pine needles and leaves in by the heater core.  When I plugged the two openings in the cowling to keep the mice out I also hot glued screen under the slots in the cowling cover.

Bob