• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smoke Control for A 24 Valve

I'm driving a 24 valve with a Blue Chip Special X VP44 that has the timing slightly advanced to give it 22 additional HP. I also have a set of 75 HP injectors from Dynamite Diesel. They had to be readjusted to reduce smoke. I would like to use them but I need a way to control the smoke or fuel. I see a lot of members are using programmers or tuners for this reason. I'm not trying make a hot rod out of it just looking for a little more performance especially at lower speeds. With the timing advanced I have been told I can't use a tuner that has the capability to advance timing any more than it already is. I don't think with the 75 HP injectors I am going overboard and need special head bolts or springs to continue driving it. I wear leg braces and speed shifting is out the window. Some of the tuners on the market are pretty high priced. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks  

47 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Absolutely... Quadzilla Adrenaline and done. My old Edge Comp was very tough to tune and get all the HP without making it smoke. As for the Quadzilla you can build tunes that are very clean and don't smoke at all. 

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Quadzilla adr and done.  I passed emissions at 7k' with ~200 hp injectors.

You can set your own timing gcurve or leave it stock.

Let me ask you both a question, are the tunes something that I have to create or can I find them and download to the turner? I don't want to push this engine any more than I need to. It's tight, it uses less than a quart of oil between oil changes done at every 8K to 10K miles. Are there any articles I can read that discuss steps increasing HP and what you need to do in between one level of performance to the next? It kills me that my brother sent the Turbo out to be rebuilt when it didn't need it, $700 plus dollars for new bearings, seals, and upgraded compression wheel. A little more and you could have bought an after market Turbo that is way better than a stock turbo.

Can you still add timing with the timing mechanically advanced like it is on the Blue Chip? I guess it's been pretty good considering it's 5 years old and a ton of every kind of cleaner has been added to the fuel except for 2 cycle but in that 5 year period only 50K miles have been put on this truck.

• Owner

Timing is completely up to you. Like I run about 21 degrees at 2k on the tach. I'm in this more so for longevity and MPG. Basically I'm building tunes that reduce engine load at set speed.

Matter of fact since my head gasket and head rebuild I had to rebuild the tune. Compression is way better and less blowby. I had to change my fuel load timing from 1.5 to 3 degrees. Lowered my starting timing to 15 degree with a stepping of +3 thorough the bands.

43 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Timing is completely up to you. Like I run about 21 degrees at 2k on the tach. I'm in this more so for longevity and MPG. Basically I'm building tunes that reduce engine load at set speed.

Matter of fact since my head gasket and head rebuild I had to rebuild the tune. Compression is way better and less blowby. I had to change my fuel load timing from 1.5 to 3 degrees. Lowered my starting timing to 15 degree with a stepping of +3 thorough the bands.

That's what I don't get, how do you  build a tune or better yet where is the information that explains all that your describing?? If you can build custom tunes is this something similar to an EFI Live, instead of a tune already setup to select you have a choice of building one anyway you want to go depending on experience and knowledge at hand.

Dont be intimidated...there is olenty of knowledgable support, and probably one of the most indepth tuner producers right here answering your questions...

Nick has done plenty of tunes and variations to make morr than adquate recommendations 

Edited by Stormin08

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:50 AM, Me78569 said:

We have articles covering her to tune and we also have a tune repository.  

It's pretty simple compared to efi live.

20 hours ago, Stormin08 said:

Dont be intimidated...there is olenty of knowledgable support, and probably one of the most indepth tuner producers right here answering your questions...

Nick has done plenty of tunes and variations to make morr than adquate recommendations 

I wonder if the Quadzilla Adr can indicate the timing it's set at during idle being it's advanced already? (I forgot where I posted this) I would be interested in the same thing as you MoparMan, longevity and MPG. Sounds like there are a multiple options for any situation.

Point me in the right direction on the articles and I'll start to look them over. Thanks

That's great, I've seen some of the conversation from other members discussing tunes and they do sound complicated. This is not canned tunes but more custom from what you are saying. Well I'm leaning in this direction and like you said there's a lot of support on this topic. Appreciate the advice.

Tunes

https://mopar1973man.com/forum/182-quadzilla-v2-custom-tune-repository/

3 minutes ago, Greenlee said:

I wonder if the Quadzilla Adr can indicate the timing it's set at during idle being it's advanced already? (I forgot where I posted this) I would be interested in the same thing as you MoparMan, longevity and MPG. Sounds like there are a multiple options for any situation.

Point me in the right direction on the articles and I'll start to look them over. Thanks

That's great, I've seen some of the conversation from other members discussing tunes and they do sound complicated. This is not canned tunes but more custom from what you are saying. Well I'm leaning in this direction and like you said there's a lot of support on this topic. Appreciate the advice.

The quad shows you what timing is being commanded.  The quad does not adjust timing at idle state.  you will not see the mechanical advancement of the pump.  

• Thanks 1

• Owner
4 hours ago, Greenlee said:

I wonder if the Quadzilla Adr can indicate the timing it's set at during idle being it's advanced already?

It shows the commanded timing by the ECM which for idle is 12.86° BTDC.

Like back when my VP44 got stuck at full advance it still only showed commanded timing event though the timing was maxed out and the truck was rattling to beat the band. Barely could do 25 MPH home. So you only see what the Quadzilla commands or ECM commands.