• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

White/blue smoke on highway

Truck runs fine for about 20 miles, 70mph, 2200rpm air on/off no difference. Coolant temp normal, oil pressure normal. Injectors testing good, no oil or coolant consumption/loss. No boost leaks with soap test. Truck does not smoke at start and only light black smoke when getting into it. After around 20 miles at highway speed all the sudden a trail of white/blue smoke from exhaust and the truck runs normal. I can make it stop by letting off the throttle or pushing it harder, but smoke returns after pedal is returned to normal cruise. After I exit the highway it quits smoking at speed less than 60. I'm about to drop a grenade down the intake...

I have some numbers from the cylinder contribution test + fuel pressures.

@ start               ©10 min.                           @operating temp

1. 102%             all numbers within.           1. 88%

5. 102%             2% of start numbers.       5. 105%

3. 106%                                                       3. 106%

6. 94%                                                         6. 102%

2. 88%                                                         2. 98%

4. 107%                                                       4. 100%

5 min Cylinders 1-3 98% / 4-6 102% / @operating temp 97% / 102%

Fuel pressure regulated output 36%

Fuel pressure sensor @ idle 6990 - 7100 / set point 7019.5

@ 2000 rpm 14200- 14800 / set point 14600

New code on the way home yesterday, now I have P0606. I am thinking this could be the root cause of my symptoms. If the battery voltage is low as the engine heats up could be causing a loss of voltage to the injectors. Possibly bad battery or grounds, I don't believe the grid heater relay being disconnected has any effect at temps above 70. I disconnected the heater relay because it was drawing too much voltage and the injectors were not firing.

Edited by Irishkeeper
Add text

• Owner

P0606 is an ECM failure. 

Passenger side battery is the ground for the ECM. The if the alternator has bad diodes then the AC noise will produce the P0606 code from AC voltage damage to the ECM

I highly suggest...

Replace both batteries.

Have the alternator tested on a test stand for AC ripple

Replace all battery cable that is damaged.

Do the @W-T ground wire mod. 

Clear the codes and see if the P0606 comes back.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

23 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

P0606 is an ECM failure. 

Passenger side battery is the ground for the ECM. The if the alternator has bad diodes then the AC noise will produce the P0606 code from AC voltage damage to the ECM

I highly suggest...

Replace both batteries.

Have the alternator tested on a test stand for AC ripple

Replace all battery cable that is damaged.

Do the @W-T ground wire mod. 

Clear the codes and see if the P0606 comes back.

Had the batteries load tested and they are good, will have alternator checked. What is the ground wire mod you mentioned?