• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Used vp44 opinions

12lb Hammer

My pumps are down and as a result so is my income...located a used garuanteed to run pump nearby for 450$, can improvise lift for about 200$ more. Not what I want to do but at least I'll be running. What do you think, any traps I'm missing? That's guaranteed to run only, no warranty implied or other wise, lift pump is a near match found by oriellys guy, new in box....

• Owner

Gamble. It might run for a few weeks or a few months or a few years. 

There are 4 things that kill a VP44...

1. Low fuel pressure. Should be 14 to 20 PSI at all times.

2. Poor filtration. Cheap filters. 

3. AC noise from a failed alternator. Should be less than 50mV AC. 

4. Poor Lubricity. Today fuel is 520 HFRR Bosch required 460 HFRR or less. Hence the 2 cycle oil theory. 

So if there are any of these issues your chance of any lifespan is greatly shortened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @Mopar1973Man on the above. At $450 it is just under core charge on a replacment. Pretty sure on that but you would have to check some sellers to confirm that. Could be worth a shot if I am right on the core charge. Even if it faisyou could recoup your money usig for a core.

The lift might be different. It that is a stock pump the price is about normal. Again shop some prices to compare. The stock lift pumps aint that great. As Mike says fuel pressure is big killer of the VP.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to have the details on the pump, but the quote has joined the long tradition of being in my way till I need it and then vanishing...cant recall manufacturer, but it was in tank and made 25lbs outlet pressure flowing a little over 100gph. Thats plentyand if im really lucky it might knock down in range without regulator after line and filter...suits me if it doesnt, after all this it'd be a pleasure to be bother with too much pressure...since posting ive found the new mechanical pump from power driven diesel and I like that far better, if its at all financially doable thats the route i I'll go...bout time somebody did that, im mad as hell it wasnt me...