• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

blew a belt, now oil leak.

Killer223

So, driving along in my 04 all good right? no odd noises or anything. then out of nowhere the belt went kabooie, the idler pully had locked up, and well came apart at the bearing, so a luck call to a napa and parts delivered, i have a new pully, belt, crank position sensor on there way to me on the side of the road.

and a massive oil leak.

so now that i'm home, and a well lubed underside of my truck, i'm wondering what could be leaking. and how hard it is to take the fornt of the truck apart to replace said seals.

i know youre gonna say where is the leak coming from,, i have no idea. cant tell, when i clenaed it and ran the truck the fan blows oil everwhere.

so am i looking at gear cover reseal, simple crank seal.? how hard are these to reseal. what elses could it be? crack somewhere in the front case?

this sucks as this truck has never had an oil leak.

Do i have to take the fornt of the truck apart? or can the seals be replace without dissasembly?

Edited by Killer223

• Owner

On 3rd gens there is so little room compared the earlier 2nd gen. I know on the second gens you can do the crank seal and gear case without pulling the front apart. As for the 3rd gens I would opt to at least pull the fan out so to gain some room. Yeah you got to unplug the fan clutch and get a fan wrench set but once the fan is out of the way I'm pretty sure you'll be able to change the front crank seal and reseal the gear case. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Killer223 said:

Do third gens have the plastic oil breather up front covering the injection pump gear? I'm thinking this plastic cover, if located there, is far more likely to have an oil leak or crack  than anything else. :pray:

Edited by JAG1

i have not had a chance to look at the truck, i'm going to start gathering the tools needed. antifreeze, might get a new fan clutch while i'm at it. this one works great though. so i'm not sure i'ts needed.

watching youtube videos they use a instalation tool, and wear sleeve, think i should get those?

should i remove the radiator? or just try and do it with it in the truck?

i hate typing on this new laptop.

• Owner
2 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

they use a instalation tool, and wear sleeve, think i should get those?

Not unless you have a deep groove. Even then you have to get a special seal now because the sleeve is making the crank thicker than stock. Like mine the dust lip left a groove so I just push the seal in just a fraction deeper and ran it. 

3 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

should i remove the radiator?

That might be a mild PITA. That fan shroud with the 4 studs needs to be removed to get the radiator out. Once the shroud is out then the radiator will come out fairly easily

5 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

i hate typing on this new laptop.

LOL... Same on my Asus laptop too. The keys just don't feel right to me yet.

• Owner
10 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

this is an asus latptop. and the version on linux i have installed thinks every word is misspelled. yet doesn't offer the corrected version... odd.

Ummm... You might want to look into the plugin I use on Chrome. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/grammarly-for-chrome/kbfnbcaeplbcioakkpcpgfkobkghlhen?hl=en

had a few minutes to work on the truck. here's some pics.

you can see one of the bearings in the first pic from the idler pulling bearing going out.

then some belt that was wedged in next to crank and cover.

sad part is with the amount of oil i see, i think it might be the pan leaking, as the little trails form the crank don't show much leakage. just a light seep.

is it safe to pressure wash this area?

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.PNG

people that know me call me Murphy. no place in flagstaff Arizona has this seal in stock...  really?

called a semi place that works on Cummins they have one, but said it won't work, as the commercial engines have 6 bolts on the crank where mine only has 4. that they are different size and would not sell it to me.

so it's on order, i'll have to wait to finish this project till another time.

• Staff

Can you tell us how many miles were on the belt or how old it was. Maybe even the brand, if you know, would help us all.

I am sorry you are going thru this. I hope it goes well.

Edited by JAG1

Guest 04Mach1
2 hours ago, Killer223 said:

had a few minutes to work on the truck. here's some pics.

you can see one of the bearings in the first pic from the idler pulling bearing going out.

then some belt that was wedged in next to crank and cover.

sad part is with the amount of oil i see, i think it might be the pan leaking, as the little trails form the crank don't show much leakage. just a light seep.

is it safe to pressure wash this area?

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.PNG

people that know me call me Murphy. no place in flagstaff Arizona has this seal in stock...  really?

called a semi place that works on Cummins they have one, but said it won't work, as the commercial engines have 6 bolts on the crank where mine only has 4. that they are different size and would not sell it to me.

so it's on order, i'll have to wait to finish this project till another time.

I work on "commercial" ISB engines all the time and hate to bust their bubble but all ISB and ISC engines all use 4 bolts to hold the balancer on the crank shaft. The smallest engine with a 6 bolt crank is the ISL9. Front crank shaft diameters are the same for the 4BT, 6BT, and 5.9 ISB engines. Because I hate doing the job twice and will be working for free if the new seal leaks I always use the seal kit that comes with the wear sleeve no matter how little the groove in the crank. I use Cummins part# 3802820 all the time for any 6BT or 5.9 ISB which comes with the the wear sleeve and install depth gauge. All I ever use to install a Cummins ISB front crank seal is the depth gauge which also serves as an installer and lightly tap the seal in with a dead blow hammer until the depth gauge bottoms out. I also usually remove the front cover so I am 100 percent sure the crank seal is centered on the crank shaft and use ultra grey rtv to seal the front cover.