Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Looking over the truck for our annual safety inspection I noticed my Spicer ball joints have enough play to make me want to replace them after a hard 12,000 yes 12,000 miles. I thought I was doing well by replacing with the originals with the same thing that served me well. Like some have said over the years Spicer is not what it used to be, or there are different grades. These where in Spicer boxes and looked to be as original as could be. I will never use or recommend another Spicer joint again . I'm going with either NAPA or AC Delco this time. Just an FYI for those who are looking at ball joints

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry you are going thru this. Are you sure they are wearing that much? Dieselfuture says even new ones have a bit of play in them. He knows..... he changed his for no reason he found out :spend:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JAG1 said:

I'm sorry you are going thru this. Are you sure they are wearing that much? Dieselfuture says even new ones have a bit of play in them. He knows..... he changed his for no reason he found out :spend:

There is a noticeable bump with a pry bar under the tire. I've read a little up and down is OK. I have about .005". I've also read no side to side is allowed. I have about .007". The NAPA (I think) joint on the other side has no bump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dave110 said:

There is a noticeable bump with a pry bar under the tire. I've read a little up and down is OK. I have about .005". I've also read no side to side is allowed. I have about .007". The NAPA (I think) joint on the other side has no bump.

So you know for sure its not the unitized bearings that have the play?

Edited by JAG1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does sound very odd.  Even ungreased ball joints should be able to make it past 12k.  I replaced my originals at 200k with some greasable XRF ball joints with a million mile warranty.  Hopefully I never have to touch them again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

So you know for sure its not the unitized bearings that have the play?

Yeah, it's the upper joint for sure

55 minutes ago, Bullet said:

That does sound very odd.  Even ungreased ball joints should be able to make it past 12k.  I replaced my originals at 200k with some greasable XRF ball joints with a million mile warranty.  Hopefully I never have to touch them again. 

@Me78569 I believe got 20k on Spicers. I thought that was bad at the time.Seems I beat his record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've never ran bigger than the stock 215-85-16. Original Spicers did well which is why I chose them again. Apparently they have gone the way of Moog.

Edited by dave110
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I sure hope mine are not going to wear out that fast. I'm guessing when you press them in you did it the right way and pressed on the right spot. 

I just changed mine and my uppers were as solid as can be, and lowers had a little play up and down, but a new ball joint also has a little up and down. I got mine from Sadler Power Train and they rebuilt a lot of axles, I wouldn't think they would be selling them if they were going out that fast. At least I hope not.

But hey my truck is all antiseezed now, should only take a few minutes to do it next time, I like disassembling my truck on monthly basis.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, since you don't have oversized tire and running the factory one-ton tires. I would have to say the Spicer name has let you down just like it did for @Me78569 he got short life from the spicer name brand as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Well I sure hope mine are not going to wear out that fast. I'm guessing when you press them in you did it the right way and pressed on the right spot. 

I just changed mine and my uppers were as solid as can be, and lowers had a little play up and down, but a new ball joint also has a little up and down. I got mine from Sadler Power Train and they rebuilt a lot of axles, I wouldn't think they would be selling them if they were going out that fast. At least I hope not.

But hey my truck is all antiseezed now, should only take a few minutes to do it next time, I like disassembling my truck on monthly basis.

It's human nature to question the installation. Believe me if I had a shop doing the work for me I would be cakllng and asking what they think they did wrong. Not that I'm immune to making mistakes. I make plenty. But I'm confident in how I installed these joints.Rumor has it in other ball joint discussions I've followed that there are different grades from Spicer that appear to look the same. Hopefully what you have are the good ole original ones. Me, I'll not take the chance again. Ball joints are no fun.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

So, since you don't have oversized tire and running the factory one-ton tires. I would have to say the Spicer name has let you down just like it did for @Me78569 he got short life from the spicer name brand as well. 

Mike, IIRC you have AC Delco ball joints. There are several at Rock Auto. Do you know which ones you are running?

Edited by dave110

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not anymore. I can't remember but I remember I bought cheapy ball joints and they are still going. The uppers are greaseable and the lowers are sealed. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 I have kept my eye open for some new old stock for some ball joints. No luck so far. But the Moog ones I put in near 200k ago are still working fine. A little up and down movement but thats it. About the same as they were a couple years ago.

 I did find some new old ujoints from 2003 for the drive shaft. All sealed Spicer. So if they are as good as the oe ones I will never change them again. I like sealed joints.

 

 Maybe Jimmy Johnson can tells what brand he uses. He broke one before they dropped the green flag in yesterdays race. Might of had a 100 miles on it.

Edited by dripley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And they changed it in like 8 minutes. I know mines gonna take longer than that. Takes me longer than that to pre- fill my oil filter. :ahhh:

Edited by dave110
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dave110 said:

And they changed it in like 8 minutes

Yeah, but he lost 14 laps and it took me 2 days to change out 4 and put it back together, thats like 17 races I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to keep report of my Spicer ball joint condition. Approximately 4,000 unladen miles mixed pavement and mountain roads with no signs of ball joint looseness yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the Delco's put in over the weekend. Install was easy enough being it was apart not long ago. Recieved fro Rock Auto 24 hrs. after purchase. They're great to deal with. Was a little disappointed when I opened the box though.

 

What I wanted to see.

100_3429.JPG

 

What I didn't want to see. Nothing more American than apple pie and Chevrolet they used to say. And yet Generous Motors signature brand is made in Taiwan. How sad. Below is a video of the 12k mile Spicer upped joint.

100_3430.JPG

Edited by dave110

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dave110 said:

And yet Generous Motors signature brand is made in Taiwan

Taiwan is better than china

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, don't mean to miss lead but from personal experience Taiwan quality is better then China, but it's still a crap shoot ether way. 

Hope they last longer than 12k. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange part I've learned a long time ago... "Don't chase name brands." If you find something that works use it. It doesn't mean it will be there in the future. You never know what company might be bought out by another and then quality falls off again. Like everyone chasing Moog and they got bought out and quality fell off too. Just buy something that is going to work and go for it. So far we know that Spicer and Moog are no-no's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have MOOG on mine and they are approaching 210k. bought them before FM bought them out. This is why I get a headache every time this discussion comes up. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×