• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

12volt power outlet

On my 02 I have constant power to my 12v power plug. The cigarette lighter comes on with the key. Can I some how take the two out swap power wires or just wire to a different keyed power source?  Or is it possible to make my lighter plug where a charger will fit. Because nothing but the lighter will plug in to it now. 

• Owner

I'm pretty sure the wires won't reach from the cigarette light down to the power socket. I also think they are different power connections too. Looking at the 1996 Dodge I've got the power to the cigarette lighter is round socket where the power point is a double spade connector. 

Personally, I'm trying to get away from all the cigarette light stuff... Take a look here...

https://www.amazon.com/Zeato-Charger-Waterproof-Adapter-Smartphone/dp/B0775NVN28/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1539018334&sr=8-7&keywords=usb+power++automotive

71owoIdLaNL._SL1200_.jpg

• Like 1

If you can see the 2 square holes in my cigarette lighter socket, they get engaged with 2 plastic tabs in side the plastic ring. They pop into the holes when you insert the socket. I liked to never got mine until I found a lighter for a GM that came with a removal tool. It is a tee shaped flat piece of stamped steel. You put in on angle, engage one tab, rotate over to emgage other tab then pull the tool and socket out together. Dont have the tool with me. I could not get mine out until I had that tool. The only reason mine is not pushed in is it is the GM one and is bit to big. I cant remember which one I bought however.

The power outlet has the tabs also.20181008_164856.jpg.14920931155ca697fc74dbd7b6f2ddf4.jpg

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Thats the one. Maybe that socket is the one that fits.

24 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

So I should be able to just get that out same way you did and the whole thing will come out wires and all?  I am glad u told me about this before I got out thar to it! 

Yep. Just pull it out and detach the wires. I red where some folks had used snap ring pliers with 90* jaws to do it. But the only thing I was successful at was destroying the socket. 

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm pretty sure the wires won't reach from the cigarette light down to the power socket. I also think they are different power connections too. Looking at the 1996 Dodge I've got the power to the cigarette lighter is round socket where the power point is a double spade connector. 

Personally, I'm trying to get away from all the cigarette light stuff... Take a look here...

https://www.amazon.com/Zeato-Charger-Waterproof-Adapter-Smartphone/dp/B0775NVN28/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1539018334&sr=8-7&keywords=usb+power++automotive

71owoIdLaNL._SL1200_.jpg

I like that. Which slot does the cigarette fit into?

• 2 weeks later...