• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trouble Starting Engine - HELP

3 hours ago, RAD said:

Recent observations 

went to crank it, nothing

waited a bit, same thing.

opend and bled three lines while LP was running, cranked it up and started. Let it warm up a bit and turned the A/C on. Noticeable rpm drop, but picked back up. I could not tell how many PSI it dropped, but it did. Turned A/C off, ran normally. Turned it back on, rpm and psi drop. Engine rpm picked back up and a few seconds later, it died. 

ECM and top of IP both cool to the touch. It ran long enough to move the water temp guage just over 140.

How do you know the pressure dropped if dont have a gauge connected? When I turn mine on you can hear the engine load up bit but the rpm then returns to normal quickly if there is drop. A fuel pressure drop for the AC on should be nil. 

3 hours ago, dripley said:

How do you know the pressure dropped if dont have a gauge connected? When I turn mine on you can hear the engine load up bit but the rpm then returns to normal quickly if there is drop. A fuel pressure drop for the AC on should be nil. 

I got one and put it on thursday, an in-line type between the fuel filter and IP.

13 minutes ago, RAD said:

I got one and put it on thursday, an in-line type between the fuel filter and IP.

Going to make it a bit difficult to know what pressure is under load. I lost my AD pump a few weeks back and would not have known with out my in cab gauge. Probably would have driven it until the VP burnt up.

I would like to try something to definitely rule out the LP.

i am want to take the airtex apart to look at the workings .

i cannot even get 50’ without quitting.

Edited by RAD

• Owner
1 hour ago, dripley said:

Checking the pressure under load would tell you pretty quick. I suspect you would be lucky to see 5 psi out that pump as much as it dropped free revving.

Then all the restriction of the 6mm ID lines and the banjo bolts don't help it either. 

Then if it got a suction air leak as the engine load goes up the air leak will get worse and most likely what is stalling the engine out. When the bubble gets to the lift pump the pressure dies off. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Then all the restriction of the 6mm ID lines and the banjo bolts don't help it either. 

Then if it got a suction air leak as the engine load goes up the air leak will get worse and most likely what is stalling the engine out. When the bubble gets to the lift pump the pressure dies off. 

All the more reason for a good fuel system.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I wouldn't mind seeing what the insides of that POS look like myself

Don’t know much about this type of pump but it seems like it would be harder to blow through than it did!

i think if I tried to take it apart I would destroy too much of the guts to see what’s in it, but it’s out and on the concrete!!

It is a rollervane type pump. Better if you googled it and looked at the way it works.

Edited by RAD

what are the chances of something going awry with the in tank unit that would allow it to suck air? the tank is not completely empty so now would be a good time to remove it and check thing out.

well there you go, got to thinking last night, i have put fuel in it and was able to crank it with that lift pump that was on the engine.  the fuel level has dropped and  and was not able to crank it since last week. thats why i went ahead and too the LP off. i thought there may have been something other than a plastic tube sucking the fuel out of the tank that may have corroded and was sucking air once the fuel level got low enough.