• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trouble Starting Engine - HELP

My fuel basket is like the one @Mopar1973Man shows in the picture, with the in tank lift pump. If you have never had that modifacation yours is maybe much different. My pick up is as shown in Mikes picture except that it is 3/8". I figure that is why I see a 4# drop in mine at wot. I personallay dont see that one is alot better than the other except for the size difference. Had I known a wee bit more when I did  mine I would have used 1/2" for my pick up. 

If after you put more fuel in and problem goes away at least you know where the problem lies.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

I doubt it. Just bump the starter, no engine start, then listen for pump running. Then you will know. 

I did have 2 pumps on mine many years back. I put a booster pump on the frame rail when the POS in tank pump got weak. It worked fine but I dont know anyone else who ever did it or will admit to it anyway. Thats why I doubt you have both, but it is pissibke.

1 hour ago, RAD said:

what would be the better drawstaw kit to use and not too terribly hard to install?

For me... bulkhead fitting in top of fuel module then thread on a PVC pipe with little bit of thread sealer.  Other end file a notch about size of 16 penny nail.  At bottom 2 quarters space at bottom for fuel to get sucked up.  Bottom of tank dies deflect some empty or full, so measurement at bottom critical to prevent 1/4 issues.  Or fass has one I think $95.00 but you drill a hole in tank.  My fass drawstraw sucked air where pipe slips over ribbed fitting.  Side note I would never do the sump route again,where you drill a hole at bottom of tank and hope road debris dont get you or tiny rubber o ring is ok. Red round thing in pic is fass drawstraw.  

20181018_113840.jpg

Edited by 015point9
Add info

27 minutes ago, RAD said:

NOPE!!

Mine Failed because of 1 cross threaded bolt installed by a guy claiming to be mechanic.  Came all the way from AZ to WA with diapers and bailing wire wrapped around tank.  Also same mechanic that screwed up drawstraw.  That is why drawstraw and bulkhead fitting in pic.  Then found this site and started doing my own stuff.  Took me over a year to find another tank.  

I left out return line...mine flows back in right next to uptake pipe.  

• Owner
21 hours ago, RAD said:

Could there be both?

Yes. A lot of people got the retro-fit in-tank lift pump then had it fail and then stack on an external lift pump. So yes it's possible to see two lift pumps on a truck. Matter of fact Dodge even has an add-on double pump kit. The first pump was controlled from the ECM as normal then the second pump controlled by an oil pressure switch. Typically the second pump was on the driver side frame rail.

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes. A lot of people got the retro-fit in-tank lift pump then had it fail and then stack on an external lift pump. So yes it's possible to see two lift pumps on a truck. Matter of fact Dodge even has an add-on double pump kit. The first pump was controlled from the ECM as normal then the second pump controlled by an oil pressure switch. Typically the second pump was on the driver side frame rail.

That how mine was set up. Booster pump on an oil pressure switch. In tank on the ECM.

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Back in time, years ago that was a really popular solution by the dealers. 

Holy crap I am dealer batman!!!!.

Actually I bought mine from BD diesel and thats how it came. Never noticed when I put it on it was just a carter pump. Still got it somewhere. It did work though.

threw a cheeper NEW lift pump on it yesterday. no luck. it did start, gave it some pedal and let off then died. when i opened the valve on the filter housing, fuel came out of the area close to the yellow switch/valve opener. guess i will be removing that and replacing little o-rings??? i , i will investigate but does anyone know the size and what they are made of?

I took the overflow banjo bolt out today. I attached/screwed on a length of rubber hose being careful NOT to cover any of the three holes in non-threaded section. I then put the banjo bolt in some water an blew into the hose. I saw bubbles coming from the one smaller hole in the bolt, is this normal or should NO bubbles be seen???

i did not do the 14 psi/10 psi compressed air test. Air compressor psi gauge is old and unreliable.

• Owner
13 hours ago, RAD said:

I took the overflow banjo bolt out today. I attached/screwed on a length of rubber hose being careful NOT to cover any of the three holes in non-threaded section. I then put the banjo bolt in some water an blew into the hose. I saw bubbles coming from the one smaller hole in the bolt, is this normal or should NO bubbles be seen???

i did not do the 14 psi/10 psi compressed air test. Air compressor psi gauge is old and unreliable.