• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2 stroke oil and fuel pressure

Good morning everyone, 

Yesterday I started using 2 stroke oil at fill up.  I have a reman vp44 from T-bred with 1000 miles and been reading 2 stroke oil is the way to go for pump longevity.   After I filled up I noticed my FP was at 14.5ish lbs compared to the 15lbs it was at before adding the 2 stroke oil.  Is this normal? Has anyone else seen this?  I have an Airdog 4g lift pump so I'll just increase the pressure tomorrow but thought it was odd my fp would drop.

Tim

That's a very small difference that could be attributed to alot of different things...fuel filter getting a little dirty, air conditioning on, fuel in the tank is cooler, air in your fuel pressure gauge line, trash in your feed line, etc.  The amount of 2 stroke oil added is very minimal and not enough to change the viscosity of the fuel.  I wouldn't worry too much about half a pound.  2 lbs would make me start questioning things however. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  I have noticed prior to yesterday that with my quad xzt+ turned on performance mode the FP will hit 13 to 14 if I'm WOT so I was going to increase it a little anyways, but wanted to see if adding 2 stroke would cause a change in fp.

Tim

1 minute ago, Collinst15 said:

I have not had grid heaters since spring.  I removed the harness when my relays died.  I am going to adjust the FP up this weekend.  Would 18psi at idle be okay?  

18 is fine...14-20 psi is the ideal range to always stay within to keep the vp44 happy. 

• Owner

4 things that will kill a VP44...

1. Low fuel pressure below 14 PSI. 14 to 20 PSI is optimal!

2. Poor fuel filtration. Stock is 10um but 3 um is preferred and double stacking is better yet!

3. Excessive AC noise from the alternator. Max of 50 mV AC allowed!

4. Poor Lubricity of the fuel and excessive use of cetane booster and injector cleaners which make this worse!

• Like 1

Hi All,

I added 2 stroke for the first time this last weekend.  And I agree that the idle sounds different.  Not as Clacky as before!  A Bonus!!  Could just be wishful thinking but I don't think so.

Michael

• Owner
3 hours ago, int3man said:

Hi All,

I added 2 stroke for the first time this last weekend.  And I agree that the idle sounds different.  Not as Clacky as before!  A Bonus!!  Could just be wishful thinking but I don't think so.

Michael

No. It's really is a bonus. 2 Cycle Oil is a cetane reducer and causes the fuel to burn slightly slower. Not with the sudden explosion but more like a slow constant push.

I thought I noticed a slight sound difference also.  Another quick question,  mopar1973man, what do you use for antigen with the 2 stroke oil?  I live in CNY and wanna make sure my fuel doesn't get but also dont want to add anything that will harm vp44.

Tim

20 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

It gets colder than negative 10 around here and this is the fuel we got, it actually gets a bit cloudy around 0

And more and more stations now have biodiesel with unknown percentage.

20180615_073551.jpg.9fbe5de9edd7ef506316bad7b6dd8ed6.jpg

That center sticker sucks. My truck likes the bio diesel. I got my trucks best mileage on 3 different occasions running bio mass diesel. That was how the pump was labeled 4 or so years ago either bio diesel or bio mass diesel. I got 22.4 mpg out of that sruff running 70 mph down the interstate. I repeated that twice from the same station out in Chattanooga Tenn. And one more time out of Nashville Tenn. Both places labeled bio mass diesel. Sadly I dont see that stuff labeled like that any more and those new labels, you just dont know what your getting. Mine likes any of it but I would like to know what I am running.

Bio diesel at 5% or more ismbettermthan 2 stroke. But the pumps dont have to be labeled 5% or less so you dont really know if you are getting it. The Loves Travel center I built had a seperate bio tank and can mix it at whatever quantity the want.

And they receive 50 cents agallon subsidy of your tax dollars to sell it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

It gets colder than negative 10 around here and this is the fuel we got, it actually gets a bit cloudy around 0

And more and more stations now have biodiesel with unknown percentage.

20180615_073551.jpg.9fbe5de9edd7ef506316bad7b6dd8ed6.jpg

I think the Casey’s in North Dakota have already switched over to winter blend. They don’t have stickers on them though. 

• Owner

That's the thing you have to take the time and see what the winterized fuel is rated for and when the change over. Years ago I knew the Chevron listed the time spans that winterized diesel started and ended then also stated the temperatures it was rated for now that page is gone. Same with Cennex fuel used to have a good diesel specs page showing winterized fuel temperature range and approximate times it was in use.

At least for Chevron fuel its still somewhere around -20*F yet. Even though we get to -40*F worse case in New Meadows proper. This is one of the huge reasons I kept my stock fuel filter can. I know the fuel heater isn't a huge help but the coolant jacket and the heat given by the engine to the incoming fuel as well as the heated fuel return from the rear of the head going to warm up the tank. 

On 10/11/2018 at 11:56 PM, Collinst15 said:

Perfect Thanks!  I don't want to ruin the VP44.  Was a pretty penny and was not expecting when it died earlier this year.

Tim 

You won't as long as you keep the 2 stroke added. I'm a novice and continually learning but the 2 stoke has kept mine going. Did you notice a change in the way your engine sounds, quieter?