• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

brake bleeders

Does anyone regularly use a power bleeder here?  Whether vacuum or pressure?  Pro's/Cons?  I am thinking I want a vacuum style as I have multiple cars and a pressure style would require many caps.  I don't always have a helper when working on the cars and its time for fluid flush on the truck and my car.

Thank you

• Owner

Neither. I use a mayo jar and a piece of vinyl tubing for years. Cost nothing and works every time. It can be done solo even. 

Basically get an old glass mayo jar and a piece of vinyl tubing that fits over the bleeder nipple. Poke a hole in the jar lid and slip enough tubing into the jar so the tube can reach the bottom. Now add just enough brake fluid to bare cover the tubing end. Now open the bleeder screw, hook up the tubing. Jump in the driver's seat and pump the brake pedal. Since the tube end is submerged in fluid the brake system can't draw air in. Since its easier for the reservoir to supply the fluid than to draw it back from the jar it always flows in a normal fashion. When you empty your jar always leave a bit of old fluid in the bottom. Always remember to check your reservoir after about 5 to 6 pedal cycles you'll be able to move a large amount of fluid quickly. This method works from everything from ATVs to full-size pickups no problems. 

dodge-rear-axle-disc.jpg.1812d8588feab18

Now I've had a vacuum bleeder but hated that stupid thing. No matter what you set up for nipples or tubing the bleeder screw always leaked air in past the threads. The only way I was capable of making the vacuum bleeder work was using thick axle grease on the threads of the bleeder screws to seal the threads. This will work on any vehicle but the same issue happens the vacuum typically leaks past the bleeder screw threads. 

Pressure bleeders are nice but not for the price tag and the requirement of all the special caps you need for every single different reservoir cap design out there. Too much of a PITA and cost to have everything you need to use it. So you limited on the vehicle you can use it on if for example a friend wants you to work in his Ford and you've got a Dodge cap sorry it won't work. So you end up buy more and more adapters just to fit everything that might come your way. 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2018 at 8:39 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Basically get an old glass mayo jar and a piece of vinyl tubing that fits over the bleeder nipple. Poke a hole in the jar lid and slip enough tubing into the jar so the tube can reach the bottom. Now add just enough brake fluid to bare cover the tubing end. 

Awesome idea! And cheap alternative to boot. Thanks!

On 10/13/2018 at 5:39 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Neither. I use a mayo jar and a piece of vinyl tubing for years. Cost nothing and works every time. It can be done solo even. 

Basically get an old glass mayo jar and a piece of vinyl tubing that fits over the bleeder nipple. Poke a hole in the jar lid and slip enough tubing into the jar so the tube can reach the bottom. Now add just enough brake fluid to bare cover the tubing end. Now open the bleeder screw, hook up the tubing. Jump in the driver's seat and pump the brake pedal. Since the tube end is submerged in fluid the brake system can't draw air in. Since its easier for the reservoir to supply the fluid than to draw it back from the jar it always flows in a normal fashion. When you empty your jar always leave a bit of old fluid in the bottom. Always remember to check your reservoir after about 5 to 6 pedal cycles you'll be able to move a large amount of fluid quickly. This method works from everything from ATVs to full-size pickups no problems. 

dodge-rear-axle-disc.jpg.1812d8588feab18

Now I've had a vacuum bleeder but hated that stupid thing. No matter what you set up for nipples or tubing the bleeder screw always leaked air in past the threads. The only way I was capable of making the vacuum bleeder work was using thick axle grease on the threads of the bleeder screws to seal the threads. This will work on any vehicle but the same issue happens the vacuum typically leaks past the bleeder screw threads. 

Pressure bleeders are nice but not for the price tag and the requirement of all the special caps you need for every single different reservoir cap design out there. Too much of a PITA and cost to have everything you need to use it. So you limited on the vehicle you can use it on if for example a friend wants you to work in his Ford and you've got a Dodge cap sorry it won't work. So you end up buy more and more adapters just to fit everything that might come your way. 

We used to do our VW bugs this way with beer bottle instead of mayonaise jar, did all 4 wheels at once :-) :-) :-)  We would use coat hangers made to stay in the jar and hang them too (kinda spring loaded diamond shape hanger forced into the bottle)

Edited by portlandareae28

1 hour ago, portlandareae28 said:

We used to do our VW bugs this way with beer bottle instead of mayonaise jar, did all 4 wheels at once :-) :-) :-)  We would use coat hangers made to stay in the jar and hang them too (kinda spring loaded diamond shape hanger forced into the bottle)

Good idea, another reason to have a beer before work, or 4 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like I'll need to buy a case of bottles instead of cans for the next brake flush.:lmao:

I use the jar method as well. I have a vac bleeder but don't use it anymore for the reasons mentioned above. Always sucking air through the threads.

22 hours ago, dave110 said:

Looks like I'll need to buy a case of bottles instead of cans for the next brake flush.:lmao:

I use the jar method as well. I have a vac bleeder but don't use it anymore for the reasons mentioned above. Always sucking air through the threads.

You might have to, if you want glass mayonnaise jars you are going to have to go to an antique store :-)