• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla gauge questions and opinions

Greg Vance

Hey guys, first time poster...but long time fan of Mopar1973man! I’ve had my truck for over a decade and it’s time for some serious TLC! I have an 01 and hopefully all my mods show up in my signature. Once my transmission is done being rebuilt I will install The Quadzilla Adrenaline with iQuad. I plan to have a dedicated 7inch kindle fire as the readout for the gauges and for tuning. My question is in your guys opinion, are the gauges adequate for use instead of dedicated Issopro gauges for boost, EGT, and trans temp. I have an Issopro EV2 mounted on the steering console to monitor fuel pressure from the Airdog. Just wondering your opinions on using them instead of dedicated gauges...are they trust worthy enough for daily/long term use? Thanks in advance! 

The decision tongo electronic vs mechanical will be a debate to the end of time.

Once an issues arises....what does everyone say to do ?  Get a mechanical gauge and verify.

Hope that helps, and let it be known....my isspros will always be present...boost and fuel psi. 

Egt is another topic as they are electronic anyway.

the question you need to ask yourself is do you care if the gauges are %100 accurate or do you just want to know when "something aint right" ?  

the quad gauges are as good as the sensors that get the info.    I never ran mech gauges and I never blew anything up dispite trying to a couple of times.    

the gauges worked just fine for me for ~100,000 miles and worked well enough to tell me when the airdog crapped out 2 times a year.  

Edited by Me78569

The decision for me going EV2 for the fuel pressure gauge was I didn’t like the idea of running fuel into the truck, my luck the line would break and spray deisel into the cab. I trust my Issopro gauge...but I was hoping to save a few hundred dollars on dedicated gauges if I have a redundant set from the Quadzilla. If Im being honest, I’ve always liked the look of a triple pod A-pillar. But at almost 7 grand into this tranny build I was hoping to shave a little off the budget to get my Quadzilla a little sooner as well as injectors and a turbo. Thanks guys! 

This discussion will go both ways as mentioned above. I already have dedicated FP, boost, EGT, and trannny temp and will keep them if and when I get a quad. I had a Banks system with egt and boost gauges. When it went out I lost the gauges and drove without them. Kind of sucked. Though I drove the first 5 years of ownership with no gauges. 

I think you are good both ways. But the one gauge I would not ditch is the FP gauge.

And that’s kind of my fear Drip...are the gauges just pretty lights that look cool or are they functional gauges that a guy can tune by and use to get a better understanding of how his truck is running. My Issopro FP gauge will never go anywhere, I’ve only had to replace the sending unit twice in 10 years. But if they are functional I would love to have a nice clean wireless install with a tablet of some sort. I’ve even thought about doing a single din deck with the swivel screen that has Bluetooth, WiFi, and a backup camera input and kind of kill several birds with one stone. 

Edited by Greg Vance

From what I have read here the Quad would seem to be as trustworthy as any other electronic gauge. My tranny temp and egt gauge are both electronic and the FP and boost are mechanical. I never really give much thought to either being out of whack unless they were when I purchased them. I would still keep the ones have and just use the Quad for the other things it can monitor. If I did not have them already I would probably not add them if I did get the Quad.

I have to do the radio thing one day since my cd bit the dust. A single din would open a space in the dash for Hmmmm.

• Owner

Well not to take away from the warm fuzzies...

Quadzilla EGT gauge is off by +50*F compared to my ISSPro. 

Quadzilla boost pressure is off above 20 PSi and gaining offset as the pressure rises. 

Quadzilla coolant temperature is good till 204*F then report -40*F from there on up. CANBus limit. 

Quadzilla engine load does not report for 98.5 and 99.

Quadzilla oil pressure does not report for 2002.

Dodge voltage gauge will drop to 8 if the actual voltage falls to 11.99 volts.

Dodge oil pressure gauge can vary with engine coolant temperature as much as 40 PSI swing.

Personally, I would stick to a quality external gauge. 

Well

17 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Well not to take away from the warm fuzzies...

Quadzilla EGT gauge is off by +50*F compared to my ISSPro. 

Quadzilla boost pressure is off above 20 PSi and gaining offset as the pressure rises. 

Quadzilla coolant temperature is good till 204*F then report -40*F from there on up. CANBus limit. 

Quadzilla engine load does not report for 98.5 and 99.

Quadzilla oil pressure does not report for 2002.

Dodge voltage gauge will drop to 8 if the actual voltage falls to 11.99 volts.

Dodge oil pressure gauge can vary with engine coolant temperature as much as 40 PSI swing.

Personally, I would stick to a quality external gauge. 

Well I guess I will go pry my feet out of mouth now. I had no idea the gauges were off that much. My apologies to @Greg Vance for misleading you. My education continues and I will be over here if anyone needs me.                                                            :sofa: 

Well...there you have it! I suppose I will do what I originally planned to before the “wiz-bang” iQuad came about! Haha Thanks for the heads up, I would rather be cautious than not. 

So im curious, do you tune off your Issopro gauges? Seems that would be the safe way...but then all the data logging info is inaccurate as well. I wonder if the discrepancy is the use of different sending units. Maybe redundancy in this case is a good thing! I can’t thank you guys enough! One more quick question...is my signature showing up for you guys? I can’t see it at the bottom of my posts.

I am currently in the process of wiring and installing a standalone efi unit in my 89 c1500. 

Even that companies forum indicates that some tuning iasues snd diveability issues of the SELF LEARN features are gindered by the choice of temp sensor they included with the kit. They recommend purchasing a stock replacement unit and using it ???? WTF ?

So, what kind of junk is being sold/used/offered now a days....and how the hell can i tell if i have a good unit 

I now need mechanical gauges in that truck also (really dont wont them) as it will hinder the appearance. So now the stock wiring/ecu is going, and plans to make a cluster will stand alones goes on the list.

20180818_185125.jpg

Edited by Stormin08
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Greg Vance said:

Thanks guys, did a little digging and found the signature portion! Well I ordered my Issopro gauges and triple pod pillar so now we wait till they arrive! When I’m ready to spend some more money I will ask again for your guidance! Haha

Well I have to throw one more at you.

DSC01380.JPG.4d39edcdd4b2bcbe506729d0b327cf49.JPG

I got this when I went to 4 gauges. Very readable and I still like it. Going to reinstall my 2 gauge pod on the A pillar just for a bit more visibility.

20180902_134414.jpg.4da98c7b8dfdac1f3c5c24f2ae6f0445.jpg

Looks even better with the new bezel.

• Like 1