• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Airdog 150 problems

So I put that airdog 150 on my truck, and , one morning it would not start, zero fuel pressure from the gauge. After troubleshooting the  obvious suspects, I took a rubber mallet and started tapping on the air dog pump itself. The air dog came to life and the truck started as normal and ran great the rest of the day. Next few days same thing, I always had to take rubber mallet while somebody else was turning over the truck and it would finally start. So I called air dong and told him I have a bad pump, and they said take the gears out the side and soak them in motor all overnight. I have not done that yet? Is it a waste of time or has anyone else had this problem before?

• Owner
10 minutes ago, Goonas2 said:

they said take the gears out the side and soak them in motor all overnight.

That's not going to do anything... :think:

Steel is not going to soak up oil. Then not to mention the diesel fuel will wash it off the first second the pump runs. It sounds like there is a bad brush or armature problem when your beating on the pump electrical connection is made and the pump runs again. 

• Like 1

Brand new pump, maybe has 1,000 miles on it

16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That's not going to do anything... :think:

Steel is not going to soak up oil. Then not to mention the diesel fuel will wash it off the first second the pump runs. It sounds like there is a bad brush or armature problem when your beating on the pump electrical connection is made and the pump runs again. 

I was thinking bad armature too

• Owner
12 minutes ago, Goonas2 said:

Just got off the phone with Air Dog, they are sending me a new unit,  and he said he is upgrading me to a 4G unit,Whatever that means

You getting the newest version. 4th generation. Mine is back from 2006.

2 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Glad to hear they’re customer service didn’t go to China.

No. Still here in the states. I got my new head no questions asked.

I've had so much bad luck with electric pumps...with a few Carters and a few Raptors (never tried Air Dog or Fass).  I gave up on electric and went straight mechanical with the belt drive.  I've had great luck since...with fuel pumps anyways.  Very consistent fuel pressure (15 idle) and increases with throttle (19 wot).  It's a pretty cool system. 

Edited by Bullet
  • Like 1

• Owner
7 hours ago, Bullet said:

I've had so much bad luck with electric pumps...with a few Carters and a few Raptors (never tried Air Dog or Fass).  I gave up on electric and went straight mechanical with the belt drive.  I've had great luck since...with fuel pumps anyways.  Very consistent fuel pressure (15 idle) and increases with throttle (19 wot).  It's a pretty cool system. 

Your problem is you always used a non-returning pump. Raptors and carters are known for those problems. No returning pumps like AirDog and FASS typically don't have this issue because the pump is no constantly deadheading. Even though the Raptor's and Carter's had a return system internal this just create cavitation issues still promoted pump wear. 

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

What brand did you go with

I went with a Fuel Boss...couldn't hardly find any bad press about it.  Everyone that had one spoke well of it...I see why now. 

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Your problem is you always used a non-returning pump. Raptors and carters are known for those problems. No returning pumps like AirDog and FASS typically don't have this issue because the pump is no constantly deadheading. Even though the Raptor's and Carter's had a return system internal this just create cavitation issues still promoted pump wear. 

I heard that alot during my problems with the other pumps...'should've got a Fass or Air Dog'.  And I probably should have initially but the mechanical pumps had been out in the market for a while and getting really good reviews and comments so I went that route.  It's been blissful so far and I do request more out of my vp44 than many do. 

• Like 1

• Owner

The only instability I've got currently is my mistake. I bent my spring the wrong way and got a high point in the center which causes the check ball to float off to one side so sometimes my pressure will drop and hang low till the check ball gets back to center again.  That the only problem currently I've had. Past issue was pump head failed after 13 years of service. 

I've got a Raptor sitting in the shop on the shelf with a blown shaft bearing and shaft seal. Raptor's for some reason have a shaft seal so hard it cuts the motor shaft causing the fuel to leak into the shaft bearing which now washes out the bearing till it fails. I quit recommending Raptor pump long ago after seeing the 3 local ranchers lose pumps. Then went to suggesting AirDog and FASS. The only problem I've had with FASS 150 pump is the filters hanging in the damage path problem either the filter strikes the ground or ground debris (or log) in offroad use or the filter are exposed to extreme cold and gelling fuel problem are more common. I've seen FASS filter encased in snow and ice from the front tires flinging the ice for miles. 

• 4 weeks later...