• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air Impact Wrench Recommendation

Leaky88

20 hours ago, dripley said:

Bought the red Earhquake gun from HF. What little I have used has been great. Did a Discount Tire a couple years back and they used the same ones which surprised a lttle. But it make me feel a bit better about the purchase

Harbor freight has some darn good deals! I have lots no f ratchets and sockets and hand tools from here and have had no issues. 

1 hour ago, syndicateshop said:

My Snapon MG 725 is tried and true, but the Milwaukee 1400/ftlb 1/2" cordless is getting used more and more

I would like to step in to one of those or similar for sure. My shop air is pretty feeble for now.

28 minutes ago, syndicateshop said:

@dripley I have an engine driven compressor on my service truck and what the MG725 can't break loose the Milwaukee does. Get the 9amp battery though. I got my impact and a cordless grease gun for $450, man is that grease gun nice!

I have the Milwaukee drill/ driver combo that i love. 

• Owner

I'm also running HF impact guns. My 1/2-inch gun has been taking a beating and holding up awesome. My 3/8-inch gun still works but the socket keeper ring fell off so sockets have to be held in place. My 3/8-inch HF air ratchet I broke the ratchet wheel. It's dead. But I should be using that to break stuck bolts loose like a breaker bar. :duh:

Now I've used a few battery powered guns. The last one I used was so damn powerful The bolts for the cross member for the transmission it took the head and rounded it over. The next bolt it broke the head off. I stopped dropped that beast and went back to normal hand tools to quit ruining hardware because of a over-powered tool. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, syndicateshop said:

@dripley I have an engine driven compressor on my service truck and what the MG725 can't break loose the Milwaukee does. Get the 9amp battery though. I got my impact and a cordless grease gun for $450, man is that grease gun nice!

I think I need the 450 for the HG replacement coming soon. but I will keep it in mind.

Guest 04Mach1
On 10/16/2018 at 2:21 PM, Leaky88 said:

I need to purchase a good impact.

The Craftsman I bought years ago is getting old like its owner.

Seen a lot of IR's in shops and people seemed to like them.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks,.

Leaky

I have some IR stuff but I'm liking Air Cat a lot. Cornwell had a good deal on a 3/4 impact built by Air Cat a while back that I decided to try. It hits harder than any other 3/4" or 1" drive Snap-on or IR impacts in the shop we have in the shop. I'm finding all the other techs in the shop are always borrowing my 3/4" Air Cat because it will actually loosen yoke nuts on transmissions and differentials on class 8 rigs. I'm debating on trading in my 1/2" IR for a new 1/2" Air Cat in the near future.

http://aircat.com

On 10/17/2018 at 8:56 PM, dripley said:

I think I need the 450 for the HG replacement coming soon. but I will keep it in mind.

What are you going to spend the other $300 on? JK, That grease gun is worth it's weight in gold. Just 1 skid loader track replacement and it pays for itself. No more 1000 pumps to tension it up, set that sucker to 50 and squeeze the trigger and repeat till track is tight. I love my cordless Milwaukee half inch gun though. Just did a tire change today on a f250, didn't even bog down on dually lugs.

Guest 04Mach1

I'll second Milwaukee M18 impacts are awesome. I've got a 3/8" fuel and a 1/2” fuel and use 5.0 batteries. I definitely use the cordless Milwaukee's more than my air impacts because the cordless Milwaukee's have more power and the work area is much nicer to be in without tripping over an air hose. The only draw back to the Milwaukee M18 impacts is they are  pretty bulky compared to pneumatic impacts so if space is an issue pneumatic would be the direction to go. I also have a Milwaukee M18 grease gun and it is great. If you got a spring pin, king pin, or something that's been neglected for a long time to the point you can not apply enough pressure with a conventional grease gun for the part to take grease it's almost a guarantee the M18 grease gun will manage to push grease through the part.

44 minutes ago, syndicateshop said:

Curious as to why? Serviceable joints  seem to last longer, at least in my experience.  

My front end parts lasted 240k. Some parts probably still had some life in them but I just replaced all of it.  I still have the original u joints and carrier bearing on the drive shaft with 455k on them. I just repalced the front axle ujoints about 40k ago. I replaced those with greaseable since i had them on hand. So I would say the sealed is pretty good. Can I get the same quality as came on the truck, maybe not. Who knows what the differnces are today.

Just bought a new SKF carrier bearing with Made in China stamped on the box, not necessarily a bad thing but we will see. I also found some new old stock ujoints for the drive shaft manufactured back around 2000. I like sealed just one less thing to worry about.

Now will I get the same service out of them. Time will tell.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1