• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best batteries for our trucks

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Standard lead acid batteries. I got 10 years from my first set and I'm closing in on 10 years on this set. You can't equalize charge an AGM or sealed battery.

What’s the CCA rating on yours? My old ones are 810 and Napa battery for my truck is 740. Not sure why the newer battery’s are less? 

I just found another Napa battery in theyre website with 800 CCA rating. 

• Owner

Walmart 810 CCA. Same manufacture as the OEM batteries. There is only a handful of companies that make batteries. Brand name is meaningless being most common names are made from like Johnson Controls, Exide Battery, etc. 

Like the batteries powering my house will typically go 15 years. Yeah, I'm on a solar / hydro power system. I understand batteries really well and don't need high priced batteries or name brands. 

Image result for mopar1973man solar battery

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Walmart 810 CCA. Same manufacture as the OEM batteries. There is only a handful of companies that make batteries. Brand name is meaningless being most common names are made from like Johnson Controls, Exide Battery, etc. 

Like the batteries powering my house will typically go 15 years. Yeah, I'm on a solar / hydro power system. I understand batteries really well and don't need high priced batteries or name brands. 

Image result for mopar1973man solar battery

Thanks Mike! 

https://www.walmart.com/browse/everstart-maxx-lead-acid-automotive-battery-group-27/0/0/?_refineresult=true&_be_shelf_id=44031&search_sort=100&facet=shelf_id:44031

These guys here? 

Prorated means if you fall outside the three year replacement, they’ll give you a discount on a new battery as part of the warranty. I’m not sure what the percentages are, but then after 5 years you’re SOL and paying full price. 

Just now, trreed said:

Prorated means if you fall outside the three year replacement, they’ll give you a discount on a new battery as part of the warranty. I’m not sure what the percentages are, but then after 5 years you’re SOL and paying full price. 

5 yrs is pretty darn good. I think I’ll be getting the ones in the link. 

Guest 04Mach1

Lead acid batteries will be the cheapest.

I really like the Optima Yellow Tops  in my 01 but as @Mopar1973Man stated you can't equalize charge them. AGM batteries are not as prone to sulfation like lead acid batteries though so equalize charging would never be needed with AGM batteries. I have a Optima Red Top in the old 78 Ford that is about 15 years old and has not failed to start the engine even with months of non-use. AGM batteries will be over $200 each.

Edited by 04Mach1

8 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

If my research is correct Napa and Everstart are both made by Exide company. 

Napa is East Penn (Deka) now. I just replaced my 8 year old Car Quest batteries with Napa. When I bought the Car Quest they were having a big sale on the Group 34 (slightly smaller than oem) so that is what I went with. Napa was wanting like for like cores so that is what I went with again. I think my '01 had Group 65 as oem.

0928181538.jpg

• Owner

Actually AGM will sulphate to. They are still made with lead plates but a very limited amount of electrolyte absorbed in glass matting. Just the AGM batteries can't be equalized because the is no way to replace the lost moisture. AGM is good for light duty and slow charging as long as device loads and charging does force moisture from the cells. Yes AGM can and will vent moisture.

The biggest killer is voltage like I've got doubts my batteries will make a full 10 years being I've now seen two totally dead states. I know the cells are damaged. Once a battery is under 10.5 volts at rest for any length of time the battery is damaged.

Another killer is lost electrolyte if a cell has exposed plates the lead oxides fast and that section is permently damaged. This includes AGM.

Like my solar / hydro batteries I put at least 1/2 to 3/4 of gallon of distilled water every month. These batteries are in service 24 hours / 7 days a week compared to @04Mach1 using part time used Ford truck that is parked mostly. In running a 24 volt system and keeping the dead state above 22.5 volts. Equalize every month when I add distilled water. No AGM battery can withstand this kind of up and down charge and discharge work out. 

• Like 1

"BEST BATTERIES"  are a gamble sometimes.  I had interstate for 13 years.  Thought I had the record but I guess some last longer. Anyway bought same brand and cca. Now only about 1 year later my new batteries are not as good as old ones.  Let truck sit for week at 12.65 and one week later and they are at 12.25.  Could be something elec but battery load test they dont perform as well as old ones do.  So "best batteries" are a crap shoot sometimes. 

• Like 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

"BEST BATTERIES"  are a gamble sometimes.  I had interstate for 13 years.  Thought I had the record but I guess some last longer. Anyway bought same brand and cca. Now only about 1 year later my new batteries are not as good as old ones.  Let truck sit for week at 12.65 and one week later and they are at 12.25.  Could be something elec but battery load test they dont perform as well as old ones do.  So "best batteries" are a crap shoot sometimes. 

Like my truck with all the accessories, I've got it don't take long for a GPS, radar detector, and few other small things to eat up the batteries. That is the reason the two discharges on my batteries. The first cycle ran then to absolute ZERO volts nothing left... Then the second time was down to about 6 volts. Both cycles did there damage. Batteries still start the engine just fine under normal conditions but I'm expecting one day to get a bit weak cranking in the cold winter. 

There is a reason Dodge put those nice fuse clips in the dash. Those are there to pull the fuses out of the IOD and ABS to cut the bleeding load that eventually wipe out the batteries. As in my case, I should of pull my cord to the power point which is constant 12V. :duh:

This is why I'm working into getting the new power point. This will be put in the cigarette lighter so the power is cut with the key. 

• Like 1

• Owner
Just now, 015point9 said:

Only difference with my old versus new batteries is a new airdog that is hooked up to positive side of battery. Where the  old fass was hooked up to the positive side,  I have no idea where.  Work was done for me, and pretty bad job imo.

Move the fuel pump from the positive post to the large stud in the PDC. This way your battery terminal are not choked with four tons of accessory wires. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

It should look nice and clean...

DSCF4488.JPG

Yeah there is nothing on the alternator charge stud because the W-T ground wire mod has been done. This can become a 140A protected stud now too.

DSCF4489.JPG

The ground kid is on the list for my truck. I want to take A drive to New Meadows next spring and maybe have you do it!